Laptop for uni..

• Thread starter Thread starter Becky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 2K

Becky

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When i get my student loan in september/october, i'm looking for a Laptop for uni so i can do all my work on it.

I'll probs use it mostly to write essays and i'll probably have alot of group presentations which i'll use it for.

Is there any laptops that you have that you would recommend or have you seen any good ones online I should have a look at?

I don't want to spend any more than £450.

Last edited:
If it's just for Uni work I'd go for the Asus Eee PC 900 but I'm not sure if you're geeky enough for it Becky.

She told me she doesnt wan't a 'netbook' she wants a proper laptop.

no i definitely don't want a netbook, just a nice Laptop if anybody has any suggestions. :)

Can have mine for 14p and Sean for two nights a week.

I got a fairly decent laptop from Tescos for about £260, does everything I want, but doesn't have that much memory (though most laptops don't) so I bought a hard drive aswell.

Have a look on Dell, may not be the cheapest but they are certainly reliable. Don't get an Acer they are ****.

Agree with Acer comment from James, hence why i would give you mine for 14p.

Girlfriend just got one of those Dell Inspiron 1525 or something, with a purple coloured lid. Is quite nice and decent specs, decent enough easily for what you want to do with it.

I had a look at one of those Inspiron ones theyre not too pricey. Seem like the best option so far.

Id go for it. She is just going to Uni and chose it. I want a Dell desktop next i think in the new year unless this laptop fully packs in before hand.

One of those XPS ones i think. Or one of those Dell ones with the little LCD on top which gives quick access to music and stuff. About a grand though.

Ive got a Dell Inspiron 531 Desktop, im well happy with it.

Dell Inspiron 1525 laptops are good and definatly worth the price

yeah i got a dell inspiron 1525, thought it was good value for money and is capable of running anything i wanna do on it.

Keep checkng PC World's website, they sometimes put good offers on but don't advertise them very much so people don't know about them.

Agree with Acer comment from James, hence why i would give you mine for 14p.

Girlfriend just got one of those Dell Inspiron 1525 or something, with a purple coloured lid. Is quite nice and decent specs, decent enough easily for what you want to do with it.

I just got that laptop. There's summat up with it now though. I duno whether I left it on accidently before I went out last night but I got back and opened it up and there was just a blank light blue screen there, so now whenever I turn it off and back on once it "loads windows up" that blue screen just returns, but I can tell it wasn't shut down correctly because it always says "resumign windows". I don't know what to do now, I'm pretty stumped.

I just got that laptop. There's summat up with it now though. I duno whether I left it on accidently before I went out last night but I got back and opened it up and there was just a blank light blue screen there, so now whenever I turn it off and back on once it "loads windows up" that blue screen just returns, but I can tell it wasn't shut down correctly because it always says "resumign windows". I don't know what to do now, I'm pretty stumped.

Installed anything new recently? etc..

Try using system restore or starting it up in safe mode and have a play around.

Hmm, I'll see if I can access those. Well I've installed a few new things, obviously with it being new, just stuff like iTunes and AOL, but it's been working fine and dandy, this kinda came out of the blue.

Edit: I can't system restore or go into safe mode, because there's no way of accessing those. As soon as I switch the laptop on it lets you look at the system by pressing F12 or something and some other ***** by pressing F2, then it just goes straight onto loading up dell mediashitface or something and then when that goes off it's just a blank blue screen :/. I might have to take it in to a computer shop sooner than I expected.

Last edited:
If it says "resuming windows" it means it has been hibernated, but can't see why it has a blank screen :|

If you have just bought it surely you can take it back? Being Dell i think you would of had to send it back to Dell, but now they sell them at PC World or something don't they so might be able to take it back there?

Yeah I'm gonna get my dad to take it back, just a bit of hassle ******* about with all the software I've already put on and stuff.

Back