Las Palmas - A paradise story.

Reaction score
Gran Canaria

View attachment 306893
We all know the island and some of us have been there on holidays. This is my story of a young manager trying to take this club to unknown heights.

The beginning
In the summer of 2012 former Dutch international (97 caps - 24 goals) Joost Luimes signs a 1 year deal with U.D. Las Palmas SAD as a manager. In the press conference the new manager said: I'm very excited to start my manager career here in beautiful Gran Canaria. I've been here multiple times on vacation and visited the Estadio de Gran Canaria many times. It is a beautiful stadium with a very good ambiance. I'm looking forward to see where we can go with this club and determined to succeed. Thank you.

The Squad and tranfsers
Luimes found a bit of a large squad too work with. So he decided to let go some of the older players that played on positions where he already had enough. Because of this Javi Guerrero, Pedro Vega, Momo and Stephane Pignol were placed on the transferlist. The club now had a small 600k to spend. But what could you get for that kind of money he asked? A couple of days in Luimes received a call from Ronaldo the former brazilian striker. The two had become good friends over the years in football. Ronaldo tipped him about a young midfielder playing at Flamengo named Adryan Oliveira Tavares or simply Adryan. With no money to scout there Luimes had to go with his gut and trust his old friend Ronaldo on this. The manager arranged the 1 million release clause to be payed over a time of 12 months. Also Boudewijn Zenden was signed, the ex player of Barcelona and Chelsea was signed on free and has a ton of experience.

Having Adryan joining the club the squad for the season was this:

Manager Luimes a firm Ajax Amsterdam supporter and naturally a lover of attacking football decided on a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Pre season matches
Las Palmas starts their pre season with a match against there B squad. They beat the B squad easily wit a convincing 5-0.

After that Luimes aranged a pre season match with his former club Real Madrid. The Estadio de Gran Canaria was packed for the confrontation and the supporters we're looking forward to seeing their club compete to one of the best in Spain. The match starts out good for Las Palmas and in the 16th minute they are rewarded by a goal from Omar. But after 30 minutes Real Madrid starts to show their real class and in the 42th minute Angel Di Maria puts it 1-1. Real Madrid continues to dominate. But in the 64th minute Las Palmas striker Chrisantus gets a chance to put them back into the game after youngster Kiowa gets tackled in the sixteen yard box. But Chrisantus fails to convert from the spot. After that Madrid finishes the job with goals from Benzema and Khedira in the 80th and 85th minute.

Las Palmas then went on a good pre season with wins over Corralejo (13-0) Villa Santa Brigida (3-0) Tenisca (2-0) Castillo (6-0)

Luimes looked back on a good pre season and was certain to continue his squads good form into the Liga Adelante.

More to come after I finish half a season! Hope you enjoyed.

Last edited:
Back