• Thread starter Thread starter cragswfc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 956

cragswfc

Reaction score
Laws leaves Wednesday
Posted on: Sun 13 Dec 2009
Sheffield Wednesday Football Club can confirm that Brian Laws has left the club by mutual consent.

The club would like to place on record our wholehearted thanks to Brian for his dedication, commitment and tireless effort in managing first team affairs over the past three years.

Assistant manager, Russ Wilcox, and development coach, John Dungworth, will also leave their positions and we thank Russ and John for their considerable contribution to Sheffield Wednesday alongside Brian.

Sheffield Wednesday chairman, Lee Strafford, said: "Brian Laws has done a very good job as manager of Sheffield Wednesday, particularly in light of the low level of resources at his disposal in the first two years of his time with the club.

"However, we believe that change at this point can deliver fresh energy and direction into first team affairs in order to arrest our recent run of results and help push the club up the Championship table.

"A very positive legacy has been left by Brian in terms of the quality of the playing squad we now have at Sheffield Wednesday and we will now focus our attentions on securing the right manager to help these players push up the league in the short term and make us competitive for a return to the Premier League in the long term.

"Brian has put in an immense amount of work as manager at this club and he should be remembered for some genuine achievements on the pitch and for stabilising Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship. On behalf of the club I must thank him for his unwavering dedication in his role as manager and we wish him the very best of luck for the future."

The club would also like to assure our supporters that Brian Laws' departure at this point does not disrupt the investment process and that progress continues on this front.

In the mean time, academy manager, Sean McAuley, will be appointed as caretaker manager, with responsibility for first team affairs as Sheffield Wednesday start the recruitment process for a new permanent manager.

"We are very fortunate to have someone of Sean's capabilities within our club to drive change and ensure that SWFC's best interests are served. We will not rush into the next permanent appointment as this will be a key appointment in terms of determining the long term future of our club," Strafford added

It is a shame as he has done really well the past two seasons, the one season he gets a decent budget and they do badly, the Championship is very competitive though.

No team is safe in the championship it's that competitive. Ipswich is another case but I'd like to blame Roy Keane for that :P

im sad but glad i go to every game but its so bad wen were cleb a shoot in the 80 min carnt be right

Board expected to much from him with a horrible budget. Hope they appoint well, I like Sheff Wed

Nigel Worthington last night revealed he would like to talk to Sheffield Wednesday about becoming the new manager at Hillsborough.

The Northern Ireland boss, who was in Sheffield yesterday for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year ceremony, will be out of work in at the end of the month when his contract with the Irish FA comes to an end.

Having spent 11 years with the Owls as a player, Worthington has jumped to the front of the queue to replace Brian Laws, who was sacked yesterday after his side dropped into the relegation zone following a defeat to Leicester City on Saturday. And a Sheffield Wednesday source has indicated Worthington’s name has already been mentioned in the corridors of power at the club.

Worthington’s opening round of talks with the IFA failed to bring any agreement and although there has yet to be an official request to talk from Wednesday, the former Norwich City boss admits it’s a job which does appeal to him.

“Let’s be honest about this, in two weeks time I will be out of work and I have to weigh up my options,” said Worthington.

“I spent 11 great years at Sheffield Wednesday as a player and the club means a lot to me. If the opportunity arose to speak to them, then I would have to listen to what they have to say.

“It would only be fair to myself and my career but at this moment in time there has not been any contact and I am still under contract with the IFA and enjoying working with Northern Ireland.”

One man who could hold the key to any move for Worthington is Howard Wilkinson.

The former Leeds United boss is currently working as a technical advisor at Wednesday and Worthington admits he is the single biggest influence on his career.

He added: “Howard took me to Notts County when I was young, then Sheffield Wednesday, then Leeds and then got me involved with the under-21 set-up when he was involved with England so you could say we are close.”

Worthington was keen to point out negotiations with the IFA are on-going but he was disappointed details of his first round of discussion were leaked last week.

Should he make the tempting move to Hillsborough, Queen’s Park Rangers’ suspended boss Jim Magilton would come into the frame for Northern Ireland, along with Iain Dowie and Shamrock Rovers chief Michael O’Neill.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...d-wednesday-talks-14596697.html#ixzz0Zef9UiUm

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Board expected to much from him with a horrible budget. Hope they appoint well, I like Sheff Wed

u saying that theres teams like blackpool, doncaster & watford with lower budget than us

Back