League takes some England blame

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 815

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore says the competition can only take some of the blame for England's World Cup failure.

More...

doubt it.. i blame the huge wages and lack of inclination and media pressure... don't forget that our current side is actually **** regardless of any excuses people would conjure up.

doubt it.. i blame the huge wages and lack of inclination and media pressure... don't forget that our current side is actually **** regardless of any excuses people would conjure up.
to be fair hes partially right. there are problems all over the shop, top to bottom. not even the fans are blameless in this. we demand instant results far too often, clubs look for an instant solution

It's not the fault of the Premier League that English players are not as technically gifted as foreign players.

It's not the fault of the Premier League that English players are not as technically gifted as foreign players.
that part is true. but it is their fault that yough english players get a lack of exposure, which is part of the problem. there is more than one issue at fault.

Last edited:
I agree, it's not really the leagues fault, although maybe they should have implemented a squad limit earlier, and is the current ruling enough?

Well no not really, England always do well in the U-17, U-19 and U-21's there are very few countries with more gifted youngsters, probably Spain, Germany and Brazil are the only three I could name off the top of my head. The problem lies with these youngsters never breaking through because teams are too afraid to play them then they have a a foreign guy in the same position being paid millions of pounds a year.

I hate the prem. problem is they buy to many foreign players, and have no limit to the foriegn players. Example in Liga BBVA, only 3 non-europe player allowed. Also the prem. doesnt train their youth only 2 teams i have seen do that is westham, and arsenal (when they have english youths). So its manly a problem of the teams not trying to make home talent

but it is their fault that yough english players get a lack of exposure, which is part of the problem. there is more than one issue at fault.

They dont get the exposure because they are not as good. If they were that good in the first place English teams wouldnt buy so many players from other countries.

Maybe England just arent as good at football as they thought they were.

They dont get the exposure because they are not as good. If they were that good in the first place English teams wouldnt buy so many players from other countries.

Maybe England just arent as good at football as they thought they were.
only partly true, there is the balance between longterm development and instant results and at the moment its slanted heavily in favour of the latter. its one thing say england arent as good, but you have to look at the reasons why. and when you do that you see there are a myriad of problems right from the FA to our own society itself

I kind of agree with all the comments on here but could the reason be there not getting chances in the Premier League because they're not actually good enough? Since Wayne Rooney how many English youths have made you sit up and say this guy will be World Class,with the possible exception of Jack Wilshere.Because I havent seen any oO)

I kind of agree with all the comments on here but could the reason be there not getting chances in the Premier League because they're not actually good enough? Since Wayne Rooney how many English youths have made you sit up and say this guy will be World Class,with the possible exception of Jack Wilshere.Because I havent seen any oO)
i agree and like i said, you have to look deeper than that and ask why arent they as good, and for those few who have the potential, why arent we playing them more"

I don't see how they can be blamed for how poor we were at this World Cup. Fair enough finding reasons to blame them for the lack of English players in the league. But surely the elite (ie the ones who were in the squad) English players who do play in, arguably, the best league in the world and play against some of the best players in the world week in week out have no excuse for being that poor and tactically inept.

I don't see how they can be blamed for how poor we were at this World Cup. Fair enough finding reasons to blame them for the lack of English players in the league. But surely the elite (ie the ones who were in the squad) English players who do play in, arguably, the best league in the world and play against some of the best players in the world week in week out have no excuse for being that poor and tactically inept.
i agree. i wasnt talking terms of world 2010 per se, but in terms of england football as it. 2010 was just another result of the long term flaws in our game. the lack of action they took years back in terms of english talent had an effect today

your last comment reminds me of gerrard. bags of abilty, but not always with the mind to use it properly

It doesnt matter how much training you get, you still have to have natural talent. If the English players dont show that they have that on trials etc. They arent going to get signed.

It doesnt matter how much training you get, you still have to have natural talent. If the English players dont show that they have that on trials etc. They arent going to get signed.
are you talking about first team training or from a young age?

are you talking about first team training or from a young age?

Well, both really, becuase if they dont show that they have something when they are young and clubs are looking at them they wont be signed and your career is over before it got started. And in the Premier League if you dont show you have natural talent you will soon find yourself in the reserves or being released.

Personally I think there just isnt as many 'talented' footballers in this country as others do. I also dont think it helps that alot of younger guys in this country get signed and then get to a certain point where they can afford nice cars etc and then think they dont have to try anymore.

Well, both really, becuase if they dont show that they have something when they are young and clubs are looking at them they wont be signed and your career is over before it got started. And in the Premier League if you dont show you have natural talent you will soon find yourself in the reserves or being released.

Personally I think there just isnt as many 'talented' footballers in this country as others do. I also dont think it helps that alot of younger guys in this country get signed and then get to a certain point where they can afford nice cars etc and then think they dont have to try anymore.
a lot of bang on stuff there. the part where you say there arent arent enough talented players is where we have a problem in our young coaching. the continent is lght years ahead of us in that respect hence they have more talented players on average.

this bit. here i think clubs are too quick to drop a player than develop him, not every player is prodigy at 21. some are late bloomers yet we rarely give players the time to shine. if it wasnt so easy to buy foreign players clubs woulb be forced to invest and develop these players more. this is where the premier league hasnt been strong enough

i would go on more about this but quite frankly it depresses me.

This is true, to an extent, but the primary blame obviously has to go to Capello and the players.

It would be nice if we could put this disaster of the World Cup behind us. At least we didn't do a France.

Back