• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 554

StuW

Why So Serious?
Reaction score
lebron_james.jpg

No, this isn't a late April Fools.

Basketball star LeBron James has become a minority stakeholder in Liverpool after signing a representation deal with the club's owners.

Fenway Sports Group (FSG) has struck a deal to partner the Miami Heat player's marketing firm to become his exclusive worldwide representative.

The report in the Wall Street Journal said James received an undisclosed stake in Liverpool as part of the deal.

"This is a great opportunity for me," said NBA star James.

"The first time I stepped on an NBA court I became a businessman."

Referring to Liverpool's title honours James added: "Eighteen championships. I see myself trying to do the same things they have."

The Wall Street Journal said Maverick Carter, chief executive of LRMR Branding & Marketing, had expressed his desire to build James' portfolio internationally.

"We're not interested in talent or athlete representation but we think he is one of the most remarkable athletes of his time," FSG and Liverpool chairman Tom Werner told the newspaper.

"We believe we can open doors for LeBron and LeBron can open doors for us. Without purchasing Liverpool, we never would have been able to have this conversation."

BBC

Back