Reaction score
Okay, so I'm aware that some of this seems to be popping up as a result of a dodgy patch, but I figured I'd ask some of the fine minds in this part of the forum for a little advice anyway, as it never hurts to get others' opinions on this kind of thing.

I'm managing Leicester, and I managed to accidentally get promoted via the Playoffs in the first season (I'd have preferred not to go up, to be honest, as I'm paying some serious wages to some pretty average players and would have liked more time to rebuild the squad). I'm currently in January 2014, sitting in 19th in the Premiership, although things are very tight - five points separate 20th and 15th.

The problem I'm having is scoring goals - I know I don't have world-class players, but I'm really struggling to score - more than I feel I should be. I've lost so many tight games 1-0 to that dreaded 'unmarked player on the back post' it's killing me, and I'm starting to fear that I don't have the tactical nous to dig myself out of this hole.
I have two tactics I switch between depending on the situation. I have a 4-5-1 with Libor Kozak (22yo Czech target man, decent stats for his role) playing as a target man with Christian Tello and Ben Marshall coming in off the wings as inside forwards, with Andy King and another, similar midfielder playing in central midfield.
The other is a straight 4-4-2 with either Kozak or Roque Santa Cruz playing the target man to David Nugent's poacher/complete forward.

Both styles are rigid, and tend to gravitate around long balls up to the target man, who will look to lay the ball off to one of the smaller, quicker players around him - I don't do a lot of pressing or allow too much roaming or creative freedom. It's not a pretty style of play, but I don't have the tools to do much else until I can clear some of the **** off my wage bill.

So, does anyone have any thoughts? Is there something I'm missing, or are my players just worse than I thought they were? Thanks in advance for any advice. :)