Let the Canaries fly - A Norwich City F.C Story

r3d3vil

Reaction score
Introduction

After trying out with several teams and getting used to the game, I decided to come up with a story and share it with fellow FM fans.

Premier League was the obvious choice since it's much more interesting, competitive and difficult compared to the other leagues. From day one of FM I preferred taking over a Lower-mid table club and guiding it to the top. In this case Southampton and Reading were my choices earlier but seeing them used very often by others, I chose to go with Norwich City.

The philosophy that I will follow in this story is to sign only Players and Staff based out of United Kingdom.

Since it will not be possible to ship out all the Non-UK based players who are currently at the club at once, will do it gradually as the season progresses and hoping to start with an All-UK based squad by the 2013-14 season.

Also I love the scenario where a former well known player take on the role of the manager and replicate his success on the dugout as he did on the filed (a la Pep Guardiola). In this case I chose John Barnes simply because of his success as an attacking minded player. So he'll try to bring the attacking style of play to this Norwich side as well.

I hope this will turn out to be an exciting and an interesting story which will see the Canaries become a Major force of English football !!

Sounds good and living in Norwich would be good to see them in the top four each year. Also like the thought of pure Uk players aswell. Good Luck.

sell johnson,snodgrass,howson and ill be happy ;P

i had an amazing norwich save last year (started at wigan), where i got to the Europa league final 2 years running but lost them both :'(

but then left to go to man utd where won league in 1st season, then save crashed :'( (should have stayed at norwich)

Summer Transfers and Squad Analysis

A Transfer budget of £3m and a payroll of £307k was provided by the board in order to Avoid Relegation. I was happy to stick with that target since the better you perform, the better the Board confidence you get.

Player Transfers

View attachment 287986

Major Transfers

I was able to sell several players who I thought as not good enough for this team and pocket £13.75m. I'm really happy to get this amount by not selling any of the important players. I will also try not to overpay for a player and try to get the best deal for the club.

Lee Wallace -
A decent Left back signed from Rangers for
£2.5m. Good Technical stats and decent Physical stats but needs improvement on Mental skills like Anticipation and Decisions.

Johnny Russell -
Naturally a Forward but can be used as a Winger down the flanks. Signed from Dundee United for
£2m.

Tony Watt - Rated 4.5 stars by my scouts, this boy from Celtic is a steal at £2.1m. Will be looking to give first team chances at all available times, so that would help his development.

James Forrest - Loan signing from Celtic with an option to buy for £2.5m. Naturally a Winger who could play on either flanks.

It's pretty easy to understand that the Defence is the strongest Area of the Squad. John Ruddy is easily Premier League quality and Turner + Bassong makes a good partnership at the centre of defence. Russell Martin has pretty good mental attributes for a Fullback as well.

Snodgrass and Howson are the best midfielders of the team and Holt + Morrison should make a good partnership upfront. Both are pretty much similar when it comes to the style of play, will have to find a way to get the best out of them as a pair.

This squad looks good enough to survive in the Premier League. My target would be to get them to somewhere around 13th and 8th in the table.

Season 1 - November 2012 Update

August

We kicked of the Premier League season with a vital 2-0 away victory over QPR. Followed by a bore 0-0 home draw against West Brom. The month of August was rounded off by a nervy 4-2 win over Wallsall in the Capital One cup.

September

A 2-1 away defeat to Everton started off the month with Tony Watt scoring a consolation goal in injury time. At the Madejski Stadium against Reading we came back well to draw 3-3 from being 3-1 down. Even though the draw might look the better result at the end, We had the better chances and our finishing did let us down.

The best performance of the period was give out against Stoke at home. A Grant Holt double helped us secure a 3-0 victory. Poor defensive errors cost us a 2-1 Home defeat to Southampton which eliminated us from the Round 3 of the Capital One Cup. It was pretty disappointing since I expected us to go a bit deep into the competition but it was not meant to. A 2-1 home win against Fulham rounded off an up and down month of September.

October

Out for revenge after the Capital One Cup loss, Southampton got the better of us again with a 1-0. Simply put it was a disappointing performance from us. Next up against home to Manchester United, we were leading 2-1 until the 90th minute. Giving heartbreak to all the Canaries, they scored two injury time goals and win it 3-2. It was the most disappointing moment of this story so far since our play at least deserved a point.

Results - November 2012

As expected Grant Holt has scored some important goals and is the best performer during this period with 4 Goals and 2 assist. Expect the more of the same from him as the season progresses.

League Table - November 2012

After 8 matches, we are placed 12th in the League and I'm pretty satisfied with it. The upcoming period will be a testing one since we have away matches to Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. We'll have to be at our best at home and surprise one or two big boys along the way as well.