LFC front three not scoring - anyone else having similar issues?

menyarky

Reaction score
So I'm playing a 4-3-3 (and occasionally 4-2-3-1) with a mostly short passing game but lots of pressing and countering. I'm in March in my first season, and I've made the quarters of the UCL and sitting in 3rd in the league - so overall pretty good - but I've had a heap of 0-0 draws, lots of 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 wins and most losses are due to not taking my chances. I rarely put teams to the sword despite creating quite good chances (decent number of clear cut chances) and having a lot of shots (mixture of on the break and patient attacks - not many from long range).

So far this season, the front three of Firmino, Mane and Salah have the following stats:
  • Firmino - 11 goals in 35 appearances (30 starts)
  • Mane - 3 goals in 27 appearances (15 starts as he's had a couple of injuries)
  • Salah - 6 goals in 36 appearances (35 starts)
  • Lozano is my other wide forward who has scored 4 goals in 34 appearances (28 starts)
Has anyone else had similar struggles with their front players failing to convert so many chances - especially when they're all very highly rated players? I've been quite fortunate to have midfielders and Alexander-Arnold chipping in with 4 or 5 goals apiece - and receiving quite a few penalties - but I find these numbers really low considering my team is built around these inside forwards and creating chances for them.

Any advice, or if anyone else is experiencing similar (and has managed to find a solution) would be appreciated.

It depends on your tactics and mentality and familiarity with the tactic. There's no quick fix if you've been using the wrong one.

I go with 2-3-1 gegen press with an attacking mentality. I found when I used 'positive' it wasn't enough to score goals. But I started scoring buckets with 'attacking'. Salah went off for me game after game. And I bought some 'depth' piece wingers like Pavon, a new #10 Havertz, and a depth striker in Gomez to replace Sturridge.

Last edited:

Its a complexe issue truth be told.

You may think looking at formation and instructions that "the idea" should set them up for buckets of scoring opportunities and net a good amount of goals.

From personal experience i can confirm that even a 4-3-3 and a 4-3-3 both with attackinmg and high pressure is not always the same.

i have two almost similare formations with inside forwards and amc and striker. in the first one the striker scores buckets, but in the second one its almost my inside forwards.

figuring out how to combine it is the struggle, but that said its overall team performance that does count. Aslong as the striker does not waste a tonn of ccc its not an issue if he keeps setting up the IF's and vica versa.

I think tho that not everything works ingame as it would in real life.

if you want to hit them on the counter with pacy players you need to drop the line of engagement to get them forward to create space to exploit.

if you see almost all good tactics now, they have high D-Line and mid/forw pressing high up the pitch wich normaly lead to a lot of possetion won back but more to powerplay in crowded area more than a goal from a direct counter.

And almost all goals you conceed is coming from leaving space behind you defenders.

im glad its weekend, now i can experiment to find the best TTFknapsinjurconn tactic :p

Happy weekend lads and gals :)

Having finished my first full season of Football Manager 19 with Liverpool I can confirm that the 2-3-1 geggen pressing formation is definitely a winner.

I won the Premier League with 31 wins and 96 total points.

View attachment 28196

1st in goals scored with 88
1st in goals allowed with 23
1st in goal differential with 65
Average possession 54%

Secondary formations was a 4-1-2-2-1 and tertiary formation was a 4-2-4.

Replacing the departed Coutinho was a big priority, and Kai Havertz filled that gap beautifully. As a 19 year old wonderkid he chipped in overall 11 goals, 6 assists, 15 chances created, with a 7.32 rating.

Keita, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Salah, Firmino, all played big roles as well.

Firmino 23 goals, 6 assists, 15 chances, 7.13 rating
Keita 9 goals, 7 assists, 14 chances, 7.29 rating
Salah 10 goals, 11 assists, 25 chances, 7.15 rating
Mane 11 goals, 7 assists, 26 chances, 7.25 rating

The only problem is now Real Madrid and Barcelona are both sniffing around Mane and Salah.
I don't want to sell, but if my hand is forced, I will probably sell Mane first.

Unfortunately got eliminated by Man United in the Quarter Finals of the Champion's League but looking to win it all next year with a more experienced and hungry team with the talent base to do great things!

You can bet that the 4231 will again be my primary formation next year. I'm thinking of replacing that 4-2-4 with a flat 4-3-3 though and see if going with 3 midfielders gives a better base for certain formation match ups next season.

I play LFC in England

I choosen the CREWE to play in England Fourth League, and I find the Bolt to my Club, that's very interesting.

reply to you

I think you need a organizer who can organize the attack and pass the key ball to the front player. As you said, your team has the Salah, Firmino, Mane, these people has advantage in attck fields. So, i suggest that you can think about your formation and tacitics, especially the Key Organizer.

So I'm playing a 4-3-3 (and occasionally 4-2-3-1) with a mostly short passing game but lots of pressing and countering. I'm in March in my first season, and I've made the quarters of the UCL and sitting in 3rd in the league - so overall pretty good - but I've had a heap of 0-0 draws, lots of 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 wins and most losses are due to not taking my chances. I rarely put teams to the sword despite creating quite good chances (decent number of clear cut chances) and having a lot of shots (mixture of on the break and patient attacks - not many from long range).

So far this season, the front three of Firmino, Mane and Salah have the following stats:
  • Firmino - 11 goals in 35 appearances (30 starts)
  • Mane - 3 goals in 27 appearances (15 starts as he's had a couple of injuries)
  • Salah - 6 goals in 36 appearances (35 starts)
  • Lozano is my other wide forward who has scored 4 goals in 34 appearances (28 starts)
Has anyone else had similar struggles with their front players failing to convert so many chances - especially when they're all very highly rated players? I've been quite fortunate to have midfielders and Alexander-Arnold chipping in with 4 or 5 goals apiece - and receiving quite a few penalties - but I find these numbers really low considering my team is built around these inside forwards and creating chances for them.

Any advice, or if anyone else is experiencing similar (and has managed to find a solution) would be appreciated.