Liverpool legend Hyypia retires

• Thread starter Thread starter GodCubed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 688

GodCubed

Mod-ern Day Legend
Reaction score
Bayer Leverkusen defender and former Liverpool captain Sami Hyypia has announced his retirement at the age of 37. The Finland centre-back will take up a coaching role with the German club next season and it is also planned for him to be involved in his national team's set-up.

"The decision to retire gradually grew during the season," Hyypia was reported as saying by Finnish TV station MTV3. "I had no interest any more to go elsewhere to play.

"There are no regrets. Thanks to all those who have helped during the course of my career and to my relatives a big thank you, without family and friends it would not have been possible."

Speaking about his move into coaching Hyypia added: "It will be an interesting year. I must get a coaching license and then I get the experience of Leverkusen and the national team coaching.

"I'm really happy about this. All who know me know I put myself fully into it. It is 100% or nothing."

During a glittering ten-year career at Anfield Hyypia, a £2.5m signing from Dutch side Willem II in 1999, won the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Cup, two FA Cups, two League Cups and two European Super Cups.

FIFA.com - Hyypia hangs up his boots

Hyypia hangs up his boots - TEAMtalk | Latest Football News, Results and Fixtures

Sami's top 10 LFC moments - Liverpool FC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Utter legend. One of the best defenders I've ever seen, and he will be missed. Farewell, Sami.

Shame that Rafa got rid of him, really. Would've loved to see him stay at the club until he retired. Great Player non the less.

Class player. Did very well in Bundesliga too. Shame Leverkusen bottled it, otherwise he would have won Bundesliga,

Legend nonetheless.

Another bad decision Rafa made lol. One of the best defenders to grace the PL in my opinion.

Sami Hyypia was one of my favourite LFC players growing up, the best defender we had, was gutted to see him leave. True Liverpool legend and hope that in days to come, he might join the backroom staff at Anfield :wub: YNWA

Sami wanted to go when he wasn't getting first team. Rafa didn't make any bad decisions because it wasn't as if he was selling someone who was in the starting 11 week in week out, he rarely got on the pitch in his last couple of seasons.

True legend, I still remember how emotional it was at anfield when he played his last game for us, he nearly scored a header too.

Thanks for the memories Sami!

Ohhhh sami sami, sami sami sami sami hyypia!

Back