Liverpool owners suffer £42m loss

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
The parent company of Liverpool, owned by Tom Hicks and George Gillett, are hit by a £42.6m loss, mainly due to interest payments.

More...

I think this year Liverpool will not any star players.. no money from owners and they don't want to sell the club.. The big club is suffering to compete with other clubs in terms of money.. Still Rafa shows good progress..

We're in deep, deep xxxx financially. I'd be livid but I'm too worried that we're going to go 'bang' and do a Leeds. And not because the club has tried to buy success but because two stupid Yanks decided to try and make a profit by buying us with our own money (plus interest which we can't afford to pay) and two stupid Brits didn't do their jobs properly and went along with it because they wanted a piece of the pie too. Greedy xxxxwits.

edit: and don't even get me started on the scrapping of the PTS scheme. If I join 'Belong' next season, I pay 30 quid to enter a lottery where I'll have a 1 in 10 chance of getting a ticket for any specific game. Not a happy bunny today.

Last edited:
The good news for now is that we have at least another 12 months before we go bankrupt. Otherwise we would of been kicked out of the Champions League for next season. :S

If all does go wrong I don't think anything major will happen. There will always be a buyer (especially if it's at a cut price).

£42.6m loss isn`t that bad they could sell stevey g! and pay that off not ideal but still keeps the club afloat! maybe or a few others! well take alonso off your hands!^^)

The good news for now is that we have at least another 12 months before we go bankrupt. Otherwise we would of been kicked out of the Champions League for next season. :S

We're on the very edge now though. The two yanks haven't the money to keep covering the losses that their loans are generating at the holding company. Even if they secure a refinancing deal, it's going to be on even worse terms than the current one meaning even more money is going to go in interest payments.

----

@mancmalaga - sorry mate but I'd never click on a link to that rag. As far as the Manc debt and the Glazers goes, I wouldn't be relaxed at all. The Glazers debts are yet to come up for refinance, and your debt mountain is equally unsustainable judging by the losses at the Glazers holding company. You could be in the same boat as we are in now in a couple of seasons.

----

@sean - the danger is that no-one will be willing to pay 400 million quid just to clear the debt the Yanks have run up. Which means that the holding company will have to go into administration first. Points deduction will hit us then and who knows what the firesale will be like?

Last edited:
Lawrenson fears Liverpool decline

Former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson fears the club could be left behind by their rivals as a result of the financial situation at Anfield.

More...

dont worry just sell torres and gerrard and you'll be fine. 'joke'

We're in deep, deep xxxx financially. I'd be livid but I'm too worried that we're going to go 'bang' and do a Leeds. And not because the club has tried to buy success but because two stupid Yanks decided to try and make a profit by buying us with our own money (plus interest which we can't afford to pay) and two stupid Brits didn't do their jobs properly and went along with it because they wanted a piece of the pie too. Greedy xxxxwits.

edit: and don't even get me started on the scrapping of the PTS scheme. If I join 'Belong' next season, I pay 30 quid to enter a lottery where I'll have a 1 in 10 chance of getting a ticket for any specific game. Not a happy bunny today.
if you did a leeds i would actually cry tears of joy. truly hilarious.

i'm going to be serious for a second. how bad is it actually. when i first saw the story i just thought it was scaremongering bullshit but it seems to be pretty serious.

if you did a leeds i would actually cry tears of joy. truly hilarious.

i'm going to be serious for a second. how bad is it actually. when i first saw the story i just thought it was scaremongering bullshit but it seems to be pretty serious.

Long post... sorry...

All depends on the refinancing terms. If RBS refuse to refinance, the two Yanks are screwed unless they can raise a lot of cash quickly (which they've been trying to do by trying to sell off other assets with little success). Which basically means RBS makes the call - do they refinance or take over the club or force a sale at a price which solely covers the debt to RBS? The first option is what the Yanks are counting on I think. Interest payments ought to go down as interest is much lower now than the 3.5% + LIBOR providing that RBS doesn't think that it's a bad risk, in which case interest will be much higher than what we're currently paying. An increased interest rate is more likely which will screw us financially over the short and medium term as well as draning the yanks of cash which they may or may not have. Solely to finance the interest repayments. And we'll be in the same situation as we are now whenever the loan is next due for repayment but it buys time for the Yanks to find another investor or to sell up.

RBS are unlikely to take over the club unless they view the yanks as being too much of a risk. This is a real danger unless the Yanks actually start putting in their own money (something they haven't done so far - all the money so far has come from them taking out loans against the club). In that case, we'll go to the wall and do a Leeds I think, although I doubt we'll go quite as far or quite as spectacularly. The problem is that we only know the figures up to August 2008. What is the situation as of now?

To balance that out, there's a lot of new contracts been signed (long-term ones too) which indicates that something might be brewing - certainly there's more moves about the new stadium being suggested (funds being drawn down for that again). That might imply a minority investor being on the cards. Which may or may not reassure RBS to refinance. That is the PR spin being put out by the Yanks and most of us take it with a pinch of salt.

RBS could alternatively force a sale. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any buyers out there who will pay 400 million quid for Liverpool and then want to invest another 300 million quid + on a new stadium. Effectively, Liverpool need 700 million quid to get them to where they should have been when the club was first sold to the Yanks.

Essentially, we're now in the position you'll be in when your debts come up for refinancing. Worth remembering that we've made a 40 million quid loss on a 10 million quid profit. You've somehow managed a 40 million quid loss on a 70 million quid profit. Both clubs are in deep, deep trouble financially - some will say that it will all be alright in the end, but to put it in basic terms, our owners have got a mortgage and are currently making up the shortfall between their income and the mortgage interest repayments with their credit cards; it's unsustainable in the long-term and it doesn't pay off the mortgage. Whether you lot reach this point will depend on what refinancing will be like when your debts are due for repayment in five years time and whether you can maintain large increases in revenue every season until then.

good post .........cant really disagree with anything on it. Good point in bringing up those figures are from August 2008, we don't have an y idea the position there in now, can only assume

Back