Liverpool seek Alonso replacement

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 899

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez says the club will bring in the "best replacement" for Xabi Alonso, who joined Real Madrid on Wednesday.

More...

I think we should buy a striker and play a 4-4-1 diamond tactic gerrard behind the 2 strikers and masch dm i think tht will work really well

only 2 players could replace what alonso did for the scouse and that is xavi and iniesta, now i dont see either of them leaven barca in a hurry do you

Yes i do agree the only to players that can pass like alonso are xavi and iniesta but who says we need to buy a cm we could buy strikers defenders or a new gk

but then thier is a hole in ur midfield.
if u sell a big player he should be replaced simple.

Alberto Aquilani reported fee of 20M ..

only 2 players could replace what alonso did for the scouse and that is xavi and iniesta, now i dont see either of them leaven barca in a hurry do you

What?

is it me....but i thought alonso plays as an holding midfielder? xavi and iniesta are attacking mids...

dont make me laugh...

Aquilani is confirmed for a fee of 20 million quid.

They need a centre forward too to partner Torres,in my opinion.Aquialani is a quality midfielder.

Aquilani is a good player. Young and talented. Wonder why they didnt go for a more defensive player like, Veloso. I rate Huddleston aswell and think he wouldve done a good job at Anfield. I also agree they need a striker but hard to find one that knows he wont be 1st choice.

They have :
Torres - World class
Gerrard - World class
Vorinin - Hopefully starts showing goalscoring form he does on loan!!
Kuyt - Hopefully gets a few more goals, even 10 for the season.
Babel - Hopefully gets a fun in the team.
N'gog -Emmm not sure bout this one!!

Last edited:
Fantastic signing if this goes through, just what we need. Well done Rafa!

Aquilani signed for £20mil
Aquilani will take alonsos palce in CM and that will leave around £10M left over + £5M from Arbeloa and a possible £6-7m for Dossena. Thats at least £20m left over for a partner for Torres upfront

Also has everyone forgot, we should have the money from Robbie Keane still also..so i could see a ST and AMR coming in

Fantastic signing if this goes through, just what we need. Well done Rafa!

Spot on. I think he's more than justified giving him the freedom in the transfer market this season.

4-3-3 (or a 4-1-3-1-1 would be more accurate in defense) looking very likely this season. Back up for El Nino would be nice with the spare change (20 million or just under). Definitely think a cheeky little bid for Negredo would be worth it. But can't think of a player who is of sufficient quality to be a huge improvement to N'Gog but who is willing to play second string to Torres. I've got to be honest and say I rate N'Gog - there's a lot of 'young Torres' about him, although I get the feeling that he's lacking just that little bit of natural ability to make him a genuine world beater. But then we do have a Dutch kid who wants to play centre forward still at the club too... And we have Nemeth pushing for a place in the first team squad (would have been there last season if it weren't for a real piece of bad luck with injury). All depends on which of those youth players have shown enough quality and desire to step up into the first team squad now. Which is just a huge testament to the job Rafa's done.

Spot on. I think he's more than justified giving him the freedom in the transfer market this season.

4-3-3 (or a 4-1-3-1-1 would be more accurate in defense) looking very likely this season. Back up for El Nino would be nice with the spare change (20 million or just under). Definitely think a cheeky little bid for Negredo would be worth it. But can't think of a player who is of sufficient quality to be a huge improvement to N'Gog but who is willing to play second string to Torres. I've got to be honest and say I rate N'Gog - there's a lot of 'young Torres' about him, although I get the feeling that he's lacking just that little bit of natural ability to make him a genuine world beater. But then we do have a Dutch kid who wants to play centre forward still at the club too... And we have Nemeth pushing for a place in the first team squad (would have been there last season if it weren't for a real piece of bad luck with injury). All depends on which of those youth players have shown enough quality and desire to step up into the first team squad now. Which is just a huge testament to the job Rafa's done.
I dont think N'Gog has it man, watching him he seems really stiff and plays with no confidence. Look at players like Pato and Aguero who are also very young but are loved for how much confidence and flair they have, i think this is something he really lacks. from what ive seen atleast

Yeah it looks like its going to be a 4-3-3 which I wouldn't complain about considering the signing of Aquilani. A Gerrard, Aquilani, Mascherano midfield would be fantastic.

I hope Voronin will do well because I feel he deserves it but I'm still a bit skeptical about N'Gog. It all depends on how much Rafa trusts them though as well as, as you mentioned, Nemeth.

Yeah it looks like its going to be a 4-3-3 which I wouldn't complain about considering the signing of Aquilani. A Gerrard, Aquilani, Mascherano midfield would be fantastic.

Think it will be more like this than Gerrard moving further back:

Reina

Johnson-Carra-Agger-Insua/Aurelio
Mash
Kuyt--Riera
Gerrard-Aquilani
Torres

A sort of 4-1-4-1 hybrid of the 4-3-3 if that makes sense.

I hope Voronin will do well because I feel he deserves it but I'm still a bit skeptical about N'Gog. It all depends on how much Rafa trusts them though as well as, as you mentioned, Nemeth.

I'm really not sure about Voronin. He's got skill but I'm not sure about either his work ethic or his ability to be much more than a traditional number 10. Still, he deserves a fair chance despite his missus looking like a trollop :D

N'Gog's goals per minutes played last season is actually very good. Not saying he's going to be a superstar but he's got the potential to be a good international standard player. Bit more confidence and he'll start taking some risks up front rather than looking for safer balls to more senior players.

@ohmygawdzz - different types of player though? Kun is a traditional number 10 and Pato is more like that too. Pacheco is the young player who most resembles that sort of striker from our youth. N'Gog is more of the lone front man with pace. If he bulks up as he gets older, he'll be a decent lone front man for us. Not saying he's going to be the world's greatest by any means (Kun and Pato could be). But he is a good young prospect. Torres is currently one of the world's best strikers (top 3 at least) so it's no shame to look a bit lacking compared to him.

Yh i dont like N'Gog but he could be a international regular. In football now a days you need just as much confidence while playing the game as having the ability. If N'Gog think he can become better he will if not he doesnt stand a chance. good luck to him

eithen though hes not a striker but did you see jack wilshere play against athletico madrid in pre-season? He was buzzing in confidence and it made him step like several levels and he took people on, long balls, not playing it safe kept passing to the likes of ramsey and merida and he played awesome..got man of the match aswell brilliant..

hes defo one for the future.

Back