• Thread starter Thread starter Sam
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 1K
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam

I was thinking about Liverpool's signings over the last year and I'm sure I'm nit alone in saying 'King Kenny' maybe hasn't spent his money wisely.

You look at the fee paid for Jordan Henderson, no doubt a terrific talent who will likely become a consistent English international, but for a whopping 20m. Now Lille Midfielder Eden Hazard, who I rate twice as good as Henderson, who told Liverpool they had to pay, you guessed it, 20m. Then there is Andy Carroll, 35m for another young player who was relatively unproven at Newcastle, when you could of bought players like Edin Dzeko or Emmanuel Adebayor for for less, and they probably would play much better than Carroll from the start.

Don't get me wrong, 'King Kenny' has made some great signings, like Adam and Enrique but he could of done alot better but I love that teams like Liverpool are nurturing Englands young talent, but I do feel King Kenny has not bought in enough quality. But hey-ho, I'm a spurs fan with enough to worry about :)

Let me know what you think, and please comment on the ability of my little rant, as I may be doing a blog in the future.

This season our signings, along with United (jones - 16m?!) highlight what i've always hated, which is that a british player (or specifically english) pretty much doubles the price. We've signed mostly british players this summer which has cost us heavily, but at the end of the day they were our first choices and all wanted to play for us, so if we get them all working well together i'm not really bothered about the prices.

And andy carroll had other factors other than nationality that affected the price, such as it essentially being a last minute "panic buy". But yes 35m is a ridiculous price. He'll never live up to that pricetag and has no resale value. I'm also a bit concerned so far with him, everytime he comes on he ruins our pass and move game because the players automatically just pump it in the air to him. Though he's still young and if we can work on his passing game, and he keeps himself fit and out of trouble off the pitch then we'll have a well rounded striker.

Wenger has always bought foreign talent because of the price difference, which works when you want the resale value and profits (e.g. fabregas). But several pundits have noted that you need a good british core, and they don't ever seem to have that same chemistry that a team like United has.

After few years Jones for 16 Million will look bargain like Smalling for 7+3 Million and Rooney for 27 Million.

On topic, no point in blaming transfers. They have hardly played half season for them.

I agree the transfers have been massively overpriced, Some anyway... But he has brought players in that dont need time to settle or as long as foreign based players, simply because they know and understand the league and the pace of it.

If you spend big amounts on foreign players then there is a huge risk they wont adapt and then play poorley, if you are a club like man city with unlimited funds, they can take that risk, but a club like LFC who are trying to regain there position in the top 4 and are in a rebuilding process, we needed players who could do the business immediatley.

If we do qualify for the champions league this year, which i believe we will, then in the summer i personally think the Hazard type players will come in, BUT after all this remember the expensive players brought all have a sell on price as they are young and have good potential

overall, although we overpaid im very happy with the signings especially considering our squad depth is alot better now, Also overall we have only spent 40Mil net since FSG came in, purely down to Torres, Meireles, Aquilani (Soon) transfer fee's and the wages of players like cole, degan, jovanovic, poulsen who were all deadwood

Hazard's price is 30M+ not 20M. A high price now isnt always a problem. We paid 26m for Rio ferdinand. Fair to say he has been more than worth it. Also transfer fees generally arent the biggest factor in a deal, wages are

This isn't anything new, people have been saying this from day 1, not sure if there is anything to discuss considering the players have been at the club a matter of months, so why not wait and judge them in a year? At the earliest.

Pretty sure Dzeko was a total flop last year, he's bagged a few goals this season and now he's one of the best? Carroll did well last year and was unlucky with injuries, if he gets back into the goalscoring form he was in for the first half of the season then we have a very good striker, we've already seen glimpses of it (i.e Man City match last year).

But yeah I guess we will have to take this stick for a few more months, hopefully the players will prove their pricetags, and imo it's so far so good. Adam has played will, Enrique came straight in and performed, Henderson and looked solid too.

As long as we have Suarez who caresss.

Let me know what you think, and please comment on the ability of my little rant, as I may be doing a blog in the future.

Yeah, if this is anything to go on then I wouldn't.

This isn't anything new, people have been saying this from day 1, not sure if there is anything to discuss considering the players have been at the club a matter of months, so why not wait and judge them in a year? At the earliest.

Pretty sure Dzeko was a total flop last year, he's bagged a few goals this season and now he's one of the best? Carroll did well last year and was unlucky with injuries, if he gets back into the goalscoring form he was in for the first half of the season then we have a very good striker, we've already seen glimpses of it (i.e Man City match last year).

But yeah I guess we will have to take this stick for a few more months, hopefully the players will prove their pricetags, and imo it's so far so good. Adam has played will, Enrique came straight in and performed, Henderson and looked solid too.

As long as we have Suarez who caresss.

Dzeko wasnt a flop, in the same way these players arent. Far too early to be talking about overpaying, flops etc

After few years Jones for 16 Million will look bargain like Smalling for 7+3 Million and Rooney for 27 Million.

On topic, no point in blaming transfers. They have hardly played half season for them.

How could you forget Vidic for 7m. Even as an Arsenal fan, I concede that was by far the best piece of business ever done. On topic, British players are way too expensive for the most part. But if that's the route Liverpool chose, there is no escaping the fact that they had to pay premiums for players like Carroll and Henderson.

As long as we have Suarez who

Tips? Dzeko wasn't a flop, and wether Carroll plays well or not it doesn't change the fact the price tag could of got you better

Tips? Dzeko wasn't a flop, and wether Carroll plays well or not it doesn't change the fact the price tag could of got you better

Really? Like who? It's easy to say that it could've got you better, but Carroll is young, and may yet turn out to be the next Alan Shearer. Moreover, we don't know who Liverpool could've attracted. Dzeko, for example: would he have gone to Liverpool? We don't know.

Tip: Improv ur speling

How could you forget Vidic for 7m. Even as an Arsenal fan, I concede that was by far the best piece of business ever done. On topic, British players are way too expensive for the most part. But if that's the route Liverpool chose, there is no escaping the fact that they had to pay premiums for players like Carroll and Henderson.

I just mentioned hefty prices we paid for England teenagers who turned out to be good signings. I would have mentioned Cantona, Dane, Irwin, RVN, Keane, Evra and all..

Now Lille Midfielder Eden Hazard, who I rate twice as good as Henderson, who told Liverpool they had to pay, you guessed it, 20m.

When was this?

We'll see on the weekend eh?

Read it on Sky Sports before Henderson came, I though my spelling was good GC :(

Liverpool never had the chance to sign Hazard for 20M, no clubs did. He was rated at 20M but that certainly wasnt Lille's asking price

Comparing Carroll to Dzeko is wrong. Dzeko is a far more classier player and has been top scorer in bundesliga etc.

How Liverpool got the idea to spend 55m on Henderson and Carroll i will never know. Never rated Henderson, am i the only one who sees no special talent there?

But i think Enrique is a very good signing. And Downing is decent signing. And i dont rate Adam (only his set-pieces ) but i think he can justify his 6m price tag.

Read it on Sky Sports before Henderson came, I though my spelling was good GC :(

100% true then, yes? Get your facts right before posting them pal.

Who the **** cares? Use the Liverpool thread, that is the reason we have it.

Ps. Don't do a blog. Only ***** blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back