Liverpool - Very effective tactic, but how to tighten up?

WalkerRFC

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just completed my first season with Liverpool. Won the Premier League and got to the Champions League Semi-final (beat Juve 3-1 in first leg then lost 4-1 in second :mad:).

My tactic is a beast in attack. Honestly. Whilst also retaining possession of the ball, my team counter attack to devastating effect with Markovic and Sterling on the wings.

However, in defence, I often concede too many clear cut chances. Whilst I normally create more than I've conceded, it still annoys me and makes unexpected upsets all the more likely.

How can I tighten this tactic up yet retain the pace-exploiting, dangerous aspect?

I play a 4231: GK(d), FB(s), CD(d), CD(d), CWB(a), DLP(d), B2B(s), WNG(a), AM(s), IF(a), CMP(a)
Mignolet, Flanagan, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Markovic, Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge

Fluid, Attacking, retain possession, pass into space, play wider, roam from positions, allow wide players to swap, hassle opponents, use tighter marking, be more expressive, play out of defence.

I tell Gerrard to play more direct passes and my centre backs to pass shorter.

If your recommendation is to buy a new player, then so be it: I have £60-80m to spend, have signed Ginter and Lamela this year and bought Dier, Balanta, Lucas Romero, Montoya and Pugliese last year. I have sold Lovren (unreliable, inconsistent) and Lallana (lethargic, poor stats in the league), and might sell Balotelli.

Cheers,
Aidan

both of your cms push forward, nobody stays back to protect the defence....they mostly act as amc's...a bwmd role would be better then btb but you would need to give a support duty to his sided winger...

cwba goes forward and nobody is closing down this space. that role would need a winger with support or defend duty as a partner, and you would also need a stopper duty next to him to close down empty space. If you also opt for a cover defender, you would need to lower the defensive line so he isn't supposed to cover to much space. And if you opt for lowering the defensive line, you would do well to play on the counter, which is what 4231 formation excels at, especially with stopper cover combo.

I've made a basic counter attack tactic for you, you can tweak anything you like, but it should be good as it is...

Last edited:
both of your cms push forward, nobody stays back to protect the defence....they mostly act as amc's...a bwmd role would be better then btb but you would need to give a support duty to his sided winger...

cwba goes forward and nobody is closing down this space. that role would need a winger with support or defend duty as a partner, and you would also need a stopper duty next to him to close down empty space. If you also opt for a cover defender, you would need to lower the defensive line so he isn't supposed to cover to much space. And if you opt for lowering the defensive line, you would do well to play on the counter, which is what 4231 formation excels at, especially with stopper cover combo.

I've made a basic counter attack tactic for you, you can tweak anything you like, but it should be good as it is...

Hmmmm a DLP(D) stays back, like between the CB's back.

Two attacking players on one side are fine. It Is important for the wing back to overlap the IF. Just make sure your midfielder on D is at the same side as the CWB. I would remove play out of defense. Your team will play with a high tempo so that doesnt really suit. Roam from positions isnt really necessary either. I would add play offside trap and have your keeper as a sweeper keeper.

Last edited: