Liverpool's 4-1-1-3-1 (Under Rafa Benítez)

*Paul*

Reaction score
Liverpool's 4-1-1-3-1
Introduction
View attachment 55458
Blue = Players
Red = Roles, Duties or Positions

One of Benitez's new formations is based on the formation of the 2008-9 season, when Liverpool finished 2nd, a great achievement. Xabi Alonso however, has left and Benitez has given Lucas a place in the team. However, rather than Lucas playing in the Deep-Lying Playmaker role which Alonso used to play in, Benitez has pushed Lucas forward into Centre Midfield and given him a more advanced role of Box to Box Midfielder. He has also got rid of the width, tucking the Wingers in a bit more and allowing them to dominate through the middle.

Team Instructions
The 4-1-1-3 offers domination through the middle and quick paced Counter Attacking from opposition corners. The formation is a very narrow one, as the Full Backs, who act like Wing Backs, tuck in along with the Wingers. The main outlet of attacking is obviously the Centre Forward, who plays as a Poacher. He is normally the clinical Fernando Torres and the Poacher, despite needing to be quick, needs to hold the ball up well.
Philosophy: Fluid
Strategy (Starting): Counter
Passing Style: More Direct
Marking: Zonal
Crossing: Drill Crosses
Roaming: More
Screenshot:
View attachment 55460

Individual Player Mentality
In the tactic, Benitez has very attacking Full Backs and an attacking Right Winger in Dirk Kuyt, who is basically a Wing Forward, similar to Sam Allardyce's tactic with Kevin Davies as the Wing Forward along with El-Hadj Diouf, they both supported the Centre Forward Nicolas Anelka. Javier Mascherano is the link between the defence and the midfield, playing as a Defensive Midfielder whilst supporting the forward players with passes.
Screenshot:
View attachment 55459

Set Piece Settings
Not so good at these, please post in here or PM me if you know the setup very well.
Corner Kick Setup
Dirk Kuyt is the vital player here as he is the one who scores the most goals from corners due to the fact he marks the keeper and blocks his view, giving him a easy tap into an empty net. He did this against Everton in the Merseyside derby and more recently, against Benfica in the Europa League Quarter Finals. Steven Gerrard, the captain, takes Corner and Free Kicks from both sides usually.
Screenshot:
View attachment 55456

Free Kick Setup
Screenshot:
View attachment 55457

*Please do not redistribute, PM or post any ideas or improvements, Thanks :). Note that this was largely based on the Benfica second leg. I have uploaded an already made tactic ;). Enjoy.

Written by Paul ****
**Updated tactics, player guides, touchline shouts to come...
Extra
Touchline Instructions
At the start of the match, select "Get ball forward" and "Pump ball into Box". These two change the passing style and tempo, now you will see more long balls being played and your players will play at a quicker tempo. Also use "Exploit the middle" as Liverpool do not have much width and "Play narrower". "Play wider", "Hassle Opponents" and "Get stuck in" are good shouts too. Make sure that full backs attack a lot and cut inside.
Substitutions
Benitez tends to bring on Babel late on, around the 70th minute and takes his key players off late when they are winning or they have a massive game around the corner. Aquilani is sometimes given 10 minutes to give a impact. N'Gog is normally the replacement for Torres. Reina never gets subbed, no matter how bad he plays unless he gets an injury. Also, the backline is hardly ever changed unless there are injuries in the match.
Tactical Changes
Something that Rafa does when Liverpool are down is that he makes the tempo even quicker and tells the defenders to hoof it up the pitch. This is branded "Stoke style" and "Negative".

Last edited:
Re: Liverpool's 4-1-1-3 (Current Tactic)

Please can someone help me Beta test the tactic before I release it into the Downloads section. Please also note that this tactic isn't based on how successful it can be, but how close to the real tactic it can be.
Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
Shouldn't it be 4-1-1-3-1?

I'll test it aswell bud.

Ill help you Beta Test it Anything for you :wub:

I wont be downloading as you only use 8 players XD

Looks great Sir ****.

Maybe I'll give 'em a go. ^^)

4+1+1+3 = 9. Where is the other one lol

I disagree with your role for Lucas, he has reached the opposition box twice this season. He is more of a Centre Midfielder/ Ball Winning Midfielder.

I've changed the title to stop any more embarrassment for you. :p

Thanks Max XD I somehow missed out a guy, oh wait Lucas is so **** he doesn't count ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding touchline instructions now ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll probably do Arsenal and Chelsea's formation after this. Adding player/position guides now ;)

No point doing Chelsea, because Kris released Ancelotti' tactics

Lucas' Role

Shouldn't it be 4-1-1-3-1?

I'll test it aswell bud.

I disagree with your role for Lucas, he has reached the opposition box twice this season. He is more of a Centre Midfielder/ Ball Winning Midfielder.
I will look into the matter and consider your thoughts on it too. Thanks for your contribution :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No point doing Chelsea, because Kris released Ancelotti' tactics
You mean the "Chrismas Tree" formation?

Thanks Max XD I somehow missed out a guy, oh wait Lucas is so **** he doesn't count ;)

Lucas isn't ****, he's been your best player over the last few games :/

Isn't he still more of a centre midfielder role though, rather than box to box?

Lost 2-1 at home against Man City, my 2nd half team was reserves:
GK: Cavalieri
DR: Degen
DL: Insua
DC: Ayala
DC: Kyrgiakos
DM: Plessis
CM: (Matt) Holland
AML: Riera
AMR: Maxi
FC: N'Gog
FC: Babel
First half team was best team, was 1-1 at half time. Gerrard scored for us after a great Torres pass ;)

Any results on the Beta testing? Anyway, I have some results for you. Screenies...

Last edited:
Moved to the England section, I thought it would be more suited here.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Now he's gone, do you think this tactic was successful for Benítez or not?