Geordie6

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm sat at work on my lunch reading through some LLM posts and can't find anyone who seems to be playing in the way that I am currently.

By that I mean with the emphasis on *me* rather than the club.

Everyone seems to concentrate on taking BSP and below teams to European glory and while I see the fun in playing that way I am looking to manage in the Premiership as quickly as possible regardless of the team I am managing.

I started with Sunday League reputation in Level 10 with Hebburn Town FC and in the third season successfully applied for the Southport job in BSP. My aims in the game are to keep doing well with my current job but to jump ship to better opportunities as soon as they present themselves.

At first I wasn't sure how good the AI would be and was applying for L1 and L2 jobs half expecting to get them, it was only when the chairman of BSN clubs were openly laughing at me that I realised the difficulty of the task.

So...I was wondering if anyone else has played LLM in this way? How far did you get and how long did it take? Also, what strategies work well in terms of boosting your own reputation and therefore getting the bigger teams to take a punt on me?

A good stragey to boost your rep is to take any national team job you can get your hands on, no matter how small the nation. Winning a few games with them and climbing the FIFA rankings will see your personal manager rep go up.

i play this way, i start at the lowest division the database I'm using allows. i start as Sunday league manager. i win some i lose some, if you have a succesful season job offers come in, and most of the time i jump ship, unless i have built an outstanding team that has prospects at a higher level

Well the thing is once you get a LL team promoted once or twice from conference play to league play in quick succession, you pretty much get offered championship squads and you only really have to do a half assed job to really get another gig to the premiership. I won FA Trophy and JPT a few times got a BSN team to the verge of promotion and then the spurs, villa and wolves were just gagging for me to take over. If you've won any leagues or trophies your rep just skyrockets. Personally I wanted to see how far I could take the Reunion boys and assorted low league legends (most went to championship and served as adequate backups in my 1st year in the prem)

Thanks guys.

The national job idea is appealing, I've managed Ireland U-21's to glory before so another small nation challenge would be a laugh.

I'm struggling with finding players who want to come to sunny Southport and the loan market appears even more dead than it was down in Level 9. I saw some good scouting ideas earlier so will try them out I think.

Jake, how is Rocamora and his band of merry Culturalistos?

I hope you're rocking that shirt with pride! I mentioned on your thread that you were my inspiration for this game, usually I venture no lower than the Championship.

La Cultu going good mate, now ive shipped the chairman game back to Kris i should have time for an update soon.

I always play like this as well. By far my greatest succes came in FM2008, when I started at Rushden & Diamonds in the BSP, and ended up with Arsenal ten years later as the top manager in the hall of fame. It might just be me, but I cannot start with a top-level side - it almost makes any success feel hollow...

I always get Under-19 jobs, i don't know why, but I always get offered them :p

It might just be me, but I cannot start with a top-level side - it almost makes any success feel hollow...
it's not just you, theres nothing better than surviving on the brink of bankrupcy, using 16, 17, 39 & 40 year olds, and fighting your way up to where money start rolling - sweet

I tried this on FM07, took me 6 seasons to get from Conference South to League 1, I managed to get Farnborough (Conference South) to play-offs in Conference in 3 seasons, then got offered the Stevenage job and mangaged to get them up to League 2, however got relegated in my third season then applied for Plymouth job (League 1) wasnt expecting to get it but got it :p

thats as far as i got with this approach before giving up lol

I'm still going great guns with this approach. After less than a season in the Blue Square Premier with Southport I successfully applied for the Crewe job in League 2. I took over in about November and providing there is no catastrophic demise automatic promotion looks on the cards.

The reason for posting is two fold.

1) There's been zero news of international youth team jobs. Is there a way to subscribe to the news for this?

2) A funny thing happened while at Southport. The board weren't happy with me applying for other jobs and told me to resign with my dignity before they sacked me. I took the option to apologise and they let me off scott free. Has anyone seen this before? I've never come across it in any game.

Last edited:
1) It'll happen, usually after qualifying ends for a major tournament. Be patient! Subscribe to the country, or the U21 Championship qualifying for news updates.

2) Yeah, if you're doing a decent job you will get away with it! If you apologise and stay on, you might take a small hit to your manager rep though...it would be a bigger hit if you refuse and are sacked mind!