BALDERS

Reaction score
has anyone had any success with the pump ball into box instruction?
i would think sitting deep and breaking on the counter with that instruction would work but not having much luck

You're asking players to just lump it into the box. It's desperate, not counter attacking. Not something you do for 90 mins.

Last edited:
could it not take some attacking teams by surprise?

You might get really lucky, yes.

currently sitting deep, playing slow tempo and when they come forward, hitting a long ball to my marauding poacher. (in theory of course)
is using the pump ball in to box instruction capable of this desired move or am i best trying just more direct passes?

currently sitting deep, playing slow tempo and when they come forward, hitting a long ball to my marauding poacher. (in theory of course)
is using the pump ball in to box instruction capable of this desired move or am i best trying just more direct passes?
As I said - pump ball into box is extreme and almost desperate. If you want to counter attack, set up something that's counter attacking. If you want to be direct, ask for more direct passes.

All of this though, is more than just a simple TI. The roles and duties should be set up according to your game plan too.

By my understanding, the 'Pump Ball into Box' TI tells your team to throw floated balls into the penalty area, results in more crosses generally.

To sit deep and go long for a pacy striker to chase look at increasing to 'Go Route One' and 'Pass Into Space' - route one puts balls long and high over the defence, pass into space puts diagonal balls from midfield through the defence for strikers to run on to.

If you are using wingers to attack, then 'Clear to Flanks' and adjust your width accordingly, although this is usually more geared to when you are under the pump and desperately defending your own 18yd box.

By my understanding, the 'Pump Ball into Box' TI tells your team to throw floated balls into the penalty area, results in more crosses generally.

To sit deep and go long for a pacy striker to chase look at increasing to 'Go Route One' and 'Pass Into Space' - route one puts balls long and high over the defence, pass into space puts diagonal balls from midfield through the defence for strikers to run on to.

If you are using wingers to attack, then 'Clear to Flanks' and adjust your width accordingly, although this is usually more geared to when you are under the pump and desperately defending your own 18yd box.

brill thank you, shall give it a go