Reaction score
As a huge fan of the 4-3-3 formation in real life in the way Portugal or, slightly different Real Madrid are playing it I want to replicate this in FM aswell but only with partial success. The tactics I'm using are somehow working but not as I intended them to work.

But let's start with my idea how to play; as I said it's based on a 4-3-3.

In the midfield I'm quite open minded aside from my preference of having a somehow creative DM behind the Double-Eight (but that's not important).
The central aspect of the game I want to play is having two Inside Forwards with strong dribbling and shooting (especially from distance) abilities and a deep-dropping, space-creating striker in the middle whose most important duty sholul be to create chances and, more important, create space for the inside forwards who should be the main goal scorers for the team.
The Full Backs should go forward to overload the wings and support the midfield players/Wingers.
Concerning the playing style I would like to play a short pass and attack-minded game with at least 50% possession (more appreciated ;) ). Shots from outisde the box are appreciated aswell if the shooter is in good position and has good shooting skills (e.g. the IFs). Generally I want to have qualitiy chances not only quantity (Which might be obvious ;) ).
And defensively I really like pressing and defending high up the pitch, as e.g. AVB did with Tottenham.

My actually best working attempt was the following, but nevertheless the IFs didn't score as much as I want:

----------- F9/S -------------
- IF/A ----------------- IF/A -
------- DLP/S - BBM/S --------
- WB/S ---- HB/D ----- WB/S -
-------- BPD/X - CD/D --------
------------ SWK ------------

Instructions: Pass it shorter, work Ball into Box, Run at Defence, Look for overlap, Push higher up, Hassle opponents, Play Narrower, Lower Tempo

Does anybody has an idea how to adjust that attempt or even make a complete new tactic to better fit my idea?