Looking for input on a defensive 4-1-2-2-1

champen

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some input on the tactic I am trying to make. The idea is to have a solid defense and then be deadly on the counter attack. I was reading about the idea about a solid defense is the best attack here and I want to try and create a FM16 version:
The School of the Defensive Arts

Seeing as this is the first time I am trying to create this type of tactic I could use some input.

When on the attack the idea is for the two wingbacks to get forward and get the ball into the box to the two IF's and the F9.
When defending the idea is to have a flat back line while having the two CM's and DM press and try and win the ball outside the penalty area.

View attachment 217793

Still working on the OI

View attachment 217792

Would like to have high possession with shorter passes while having the ball, and high pressure while not on the ball.

View attachment 217791

so far i have had decent succes, had a bit of a shaky start but seem to have stabilized the team now. When I play the two other title contenders FCM and FCK this tactic shows it weakness. The matches usually ends with my defense getting hammered while I am praying for a counterattack.
View attachment 217786
Things I need help with:
- Input on OI
- Input on team instructions

UPDATE:
still tinkering with the CM roles but seem to have stabilized my defense. The 2-2 and 3-6 games are the only where my defense stopped playing for some reason.
I was using several young players and my 4th GK due to injuries to my first 3 options.
View attachment 217740

Last edited:
I have 2 questions.

1 - Why play out of defence if your intention is to counter quickly?

2 - Why Retain Possession, if again, you're looking to get deadly balls forward?

1. Right now I lack players with pace and the technical skill for fast counter attack, so right now most of my offense comes from slow build ups with the occasional explosive raids from the wingbacks.

2. My thought about that was to try and counter the matches where I end up having ten players behind the ball due to a strong opposing team. So thought as long as i have the ball they wont score

Fair enough. As long as you're aware that both could harm your counter attacking, but you seem to know this already.