• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 40K

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
images

ATHLETIC BILBAO

Thought it would only be right that I should do a guide for Athletic Bilbao after my story with them in FM12 and the one in progress just now. First time attempt so apologies in advance!

THE CLUB
Along with the first team you have a B team (Bilbao Ath.) who play in the Second Division B2 and who can get promoted all the way up to the 2nd tier in Spain. There is also a C team called Baskonia but I have never seen them in a competitive league.

ATHLETIC BILBAO ARE FAMOUS FOR ONLY SIGNING BASQUE PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!
This obviously makes being Bilbao a challenge - you can also sign Spanish players who are 16 but when they turn 17 you cant get them again.

Facilities wise you start off in the San Mames stadium but in September 2013 the club moves into a new stadium (San Mames Barria) with a larger capacity of 55,000. The club has also got top training facilities and good youth facilites.

SEASONS EXPECTATIONS

Euro Cup Qual - £17.5m & £525,000
Champions Cup Qual - £20.5m & £575,000
Title Challenge - £22.5m & £575,000

As you can see you have a fair bit of cash available to spend and I just went for the Euro Cup Qual option but you could easily do the Champions Cup Qual option and manage. Title Challenge? Depends on how good you are and what you plan to do with Llorente - more on this later.......................

THE SQUAD

Goalkeepers
[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]NAME
[/TD]
[TD]AGE
[/TD]
[TD]POS
[/TD]
[TD]VALUE
[/TD]
[TD]STARS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gorka Iraizoz
[/TD]
[TD]31
[/TD]
[TD]GK
[/TD]
[TD]£2.6M
[/TD]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Raul Fernandez
[/TD]
[TD]24
[/TD]
[TD]GK
[/TD]
[TD]£325,000
[/TD]
[TD]2.5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Iraizoz is a decent enough keeper and can play for a few years yet but Raul Fernandez is not up to scratch really and should only be kept as backup until you can get a better one and then he can be sold or moved to improve the B team. There is a decent young keeper in the u19 side called Kepa Arrizabalaga and I recommend putting him out on loan.

Transfer target - The only keeper that is any good and Basque is STEPHANE RUFFIER of Saint-Etienne. I got him inthe 3rd season for £17m but he is good enough at the highest level until a regen comes through.

Centre Halves
[TR]
[TD]Jon Aurtenetxe
[/TD]
[TD]20
[/TD]
[TD]DC/L
[/TD]
[TD]£1.8M
[/TD]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Fernando Amorebieta
[/TD]
[TD]27
[/TD]
[TD]DC
[/TD]
[TD]£3.5M
[/TD]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Borja Ekiza
[/TD]
[TD]24
[/TD]
[TD]DC
[/TD]
[TD]£2.5M
[/TD]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Carlos Gurpegi
[/TD]
[TD]31
[/TD]
[TD]DC/DM/MC
[/TD]
[TD]£1.6M
[/TD]
[TD]2.5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jonas Ramalho (B)
[/TD]
[TD]19
[/TD]
[TD]DC/R
[/TD]
[TD]£325,000
[/TD]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mikel San Jose
[/TD]
[TD]23
[/TD]
[TD]SW/DC
[/TD]
[TD]£3.1M
[/TD]
[TD]3.5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

You have a decent set of centre backs here although I prefer to play Aurtenetxe at LB in the first year. Ramalho has potential but I put him in the B team usually so he can develop there. San Jose is a goalscoring centre half who has a high penalty attribute.

Transfer target - After a couple of years I managed to get the excellent INIGO MARTINEZ off our rivals Real Sociedad and he cost £17m but you can only get him if he is unhappy.

Full Backs
[TR]
[TD]Xabi Castillo
[/TD]
[TD]26
[/TD]
[TD]D/WBL
[/TD]
[TD]£1.2M
[/TD]
[TD]2
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Markel Etxeberria (U19)
[/TD]
[TD]17
[/TD]
[TD]DR
[/TD]
[TD]£55,000
[/TD]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andoni Iraola
[/TD]
[TD]30
[/TD]
[TD]D/WBR
[/TD]
[TD]£5.5M
[/TD]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Enric Saborit (B)
[/TD]
[TD]20
[/TD]
[TD]D/WB/M/AML
[/TD]
[TD]£230,000
[/TD]
[TD]2.5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Iraola is class but other than that there isnt a lot to shout about here although Etxeberria is definately one for the future. As I mentioned above I play Aurtenetxe at LB.

Transfer target - I recommend MIKEL BALENZIAGA of Real Valladolid as he can play in either full back position and you can get him for £3m. Also you should aim to get the LB, NATXO MONREAL, off Malaga - he has a £10.5m release clause so I would go in for him in January if he is interested. CESAR AZPILICUETA of Chelsea is a dream signing - if you can manage to get him you wont need another RB for a long time. Finally ASIER DEL HORNO is available on a free transfer if you want to keep your cash.

Central Midfielders
[TR]
[TD]Ander Herrera
[/TD]
[TD]22
[/TD]
[TD]M/AMC
[/TD]
[TD]£7M
[/TD]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ander Iturraspe
[/TD]
[TD]23
[/TD]
[TD]DM/MC
[/TD]
[TD]£3.4M
[/TD]
[TD]3.5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Inigo Perez
[/TD]
[TD]24
[/TD]
[TD]DM/MLC
[/TD]
[TD]£1.2m
[/TD]
[TD]2.5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Inigo Ruiz de Galarreta
[/TD]
[TD]18
[/TD]
[TD]M/AMC
[/TD]
[TD]£650,000
[/TD]
[TD]4.5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Herrera is quality - he should be the hub of the team whether you play him at CM or AMC. Iturraspe and Inigo Perez can do a job until you get better while Ruiz de Galarreta turns into a very good player if you give him game time.

Transfer target - BENAT of Real Betis should always be your first signing. He is an extremely good central midfielder who has high passing and set piece attributes. Expect to pay £15m plus though but he is worth it - you need him anyway in the first season.

JAVI MARTINEZ
of Bayern Munich is obviously the dream signing along with XABI ALONSO while the other notable Basque central midfielders are RAUL GARCIA (Atletico Madrid), MIKEL ARTETA, MIKEL RICO (Granada) and ASIER ILLARRAMENDI (Real Sociedad). Illarramendi is a very good player but you can only get him if he is unhappy - which I did at £7m. Also playing for a club in Mexico is a talented youngster called JORGE ESPERICUETA.

Attacking Midfielders
[TR]
[TD]Oscar De Marcos
[/TD]
[TD]23
[/TD]
[TD]WB/M/AMRLC
[/TD]
[TD]£5.75M
[/TD]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ibai Gomez
[/TD]
[TD]22
[/TD]
[TD]AMRL/ST
[/TD]
[TD]£2.1M
[/TD]
[TD]3.5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Igor Martinez (B)
[/TD]
[TD]22
[/TD]
[TD]AMRC/ST
[/TD]
[TD]£875,000
[/TD]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Iker Muniain
[/TD]
[TD]19
[/TD]
[TD]AMLC/ST
[/TD]
[TD]£10.5M
[/TD]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Markel Susaeta
[/TD]
[TD]24
[/TD]
[TD]AMRLC
[/TD]
[TD]£5.75m
[/TD]
[TD]3.5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Its all about Muniain here. He is world class and he does great wherever you play him be it LW or AMC however in the 2nd season I played him up front as a poacher and he scored o can over 30 goals. Susaeta is better than his star rating and gets goals as does De Marcos. Ibai Gomez is a useful squad player/sub to have.

Transfer target - ANTOINE GRIEZMANN of Real Sociedad is a fantastic young player but once again you can only get him if he is unhappy. I ended up paying £19m for him but he is a class act who scores and assists regularly.

Forwards
[TR]
[TD]Aritz Aduriz
[/TD]
[TD]31
[/TD]
[TD]ST
[/TD]
[TD]£3.3M
[/TD]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Fernando Llorente
[/TD]
[TD]27
[/TD]
[TD]ST
[/TD]
[TD]£19M
[/TD]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gaizka Toquero
[/TD]
[TD]27
[/TD]
[TD]AMR/ST
[/TD]
[TD]£2.6M
[/TD]
[TD]2.5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Llorente is world class but you have to make a decision here as he intends to leave on a free transfer at the end of the season. What I did was transfer list him the moment the first window shuts in August and Arsenal came in with a bid of £30m. That way I had him for half a season and I still got cash for him too.

Aduriz is a very good striker and plays brilliantly as a target man - he scored over 30 for me in the first season but I moved Muniain up front in the 2nd season and I sold Aduriz.

Transfer Target - DIEGO FORLAN is the big name Basque out there but other than that there isnt much quality ones. The best are KIKE SOLA (Osasuna) and IMANOL AGIRRETXE (Real Sociedad)

STAFF

A major overhaul is required here from top to bottom. There is a few decent scouts and a youth coach but other than that they can all go.

I personally like to have a Spanish core of coaches etc and recommend Paco Ayestran, Angel Vales, Rodolfo Borrell and a physio called Javier Vazquez. Also the C team, Baskonia, has an excellent GK coach called Juan Jose Lasuen.

FORMATION
I play a 4-2-3-1 but with Bilbao - because of the flexibility of the players - there are so many options. The back 4 picks itself but with at least 5 (6 if you sign Benat) quality midfielders it is hard to say which works best!

TIPS
*Do what I did with Llorente (see above)

*When you see good 16y/o regens and you are struggling to sign them you may be able to get them in on loan easier - that way they obtain and keep their Basque nationality.

*The two main positions to find/develop are a goalkeeper and a striker - if you sign Ruffier you have 5 or 6 seasons to get a keeper in and unless you want to play and keep Muniain up front you have to hope to find a striker sharpish with Llorente leaving.

Last edited:
Just like to say, I think this a great post, and has persuaded me to start a save with Bilbao after I do an Arsenal one!

Also, is there no way at all to keep Llorente?

Just like to say, I think this a great post, and has persuaded me to start a save with Bilbao after I do an Arsenal one!

Also, is there no way at all to keep Llorente?

Nope - even with an international footballers reputation etc he is adamant in leaving so as i say its up to you whether you cash in or keep him for a season and lose the £30m

Bilbao is a perfect team for a long term save as it is all about developing players - you have to plan 3 or 4 years ahead really. In the first few years you spend some cash but after that you spend very little - in fm12 I had over £500m in the bank and the club was worth well over £1bn

Only in season 3 in my story - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot.../106953-return-aitor-herrera-boss-bilbao.html - but it is going very well!!!!

Nope - even with an international footballers reputation etc he is adamant in leaving so as i say its up to you whether you cash in or keep him for a season and lose the £30m

Bilbao is a perfect team for a long term save as it is all about developing players - you have to plan 3 or 4 years ahead really. In the first few years you spend some cash but after that you spend very little - in fm12 I had over £500m in the bank and the club was worth well over £1bn

Only in season 3 in my story - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot.../106953-return-aitor-herrera-boss-bilbao.html - but it is going very well!!!!

Ah, gutted :(

I was hoping to build the team around Llorente because thats what I did with my Arsenal team on FM12. De Marcos was also great for me in the first season of that save (He won PFA Young Player of the Year) but I bought Tore and started playing the Ox more so got kicked out of the side.

Is De Marcos still as versatile as he was on last years game? Last year he could play anywhere exept as a ST,CDM,CB or GK?

And I will be trying to keep up with your story, sounds interesting! Haha :)

I'm actually in my second season with Athletic. First season was quite easy.. I won La Liga and Europa League. On the second season I have only 2 defeat: One against Real Madrid, and against Zaragoza (I'm in November). I bought (including first season transfer) Benat, Cadamuro a LB RB DM backup, Monreal, Forlan und Griezmann! He was unhappy at Sociedad so I made an offer and it was accepted. I also bought some great regens.

I enjoyed my Atletic save on last years game but I'm quite dissapointed with there starting finances this year. They sold Martinez for £40 million and have half that in the bank and they also have debt! Seems quite strange to me. Also can I ask in your save last season did you get any french basque players? I had the french league going but in the few years I played never got any decent regens going.

On the Llorente front, if you're happy to get £30 million instead of the extra £1.5 million on his release clause you can transfer list him on the first day and Spurs and Arsenal usually throw in a £30 million offer. Gives you best part of £50 million budget, just difficult finding Basque players

Does that mean, you could get an english player in on loan when he is 16 and he would get basque nationality?

@jordymakin - sounds like you didn't consider that Bayern paid 40 million EURO for Martinez, that's actually more like £30 million.

Ah, gutted :(

I was hoping to build the team around Llorente because thats what I did with my Arsenal team on FM12. De Marcos was also great for me in the first season of that save (He won PFA Young Player of the Year) but I bought Tore and started playing the Ox more so got kicked out of the side.

Is De Marcos still as versatile as he was on last years game? Last year he could play anywhere exept as a ST,CDM,CB or GK?

And I will be trying to keep up with your story, sounds interesting! Haha :)

There is one way where you can keep Llorente and that is going into the Editor and untick the "Will leave at end of current contract" box, it all depends if you want to basically cheat or not, which i dont particularly but if you reallly want to keep him theres your chance :)

Love the guide btw.....
Nice suggestions for signings too, I was really struggling to understand the transfer rules... never knew I could sign U16 spanish players

Just wanted to say that my DOF seemed to do the impossible... I don't know how this happened... not that i'm complaining, I had only just decided to sell him rather than keep him for the season...

View attachment 305439

Can anyone tell me who handles contract renewals for Bilbao Athletic and Baskonia? I don't want to do it myself that's for sure!

Any ideas on searching for basque players? I know you can sign u16 Spanish players, but actually trying to sign basque region players is hard. Is there a way of telling your scouts what to look for?.

P.S just started my save, it's fun so far I sold llorente straight off to the **** for £31m. Really need to sign amc to rotate with iker, any good ones about? I was gutted I couldn't sign isco :(

Just started my Athletic save (As I said I would right at the start of the thread), I sold Llorente straight away because I didn't want to build a team around him only to lost him. Also needed the money, as I wanted Benat but needed a BBM (Got Rico)

Only problem is that I now have Benat, Rico and Herrera (Along with the other not as good midfielders). How good does Herrera come, and do you think I should sell him, or have him rotating with Benat? (If he can learn to partially be either a AML or AMR then I can play him in the first team as a Treq - AM)

Herrera has been really good for me, I use him as DLP in the centre of midfield or as a AP in the central attacking midfield role. He's a key player, keep him and use him for sure! in 2019 now and Benat has been let go, Herrera is still going strong in my first team

Only problem is that I like to have some of my players switching positions during games, so I have my AM and one of my wingers (Doesn't matter which) to rotate. So I would need to retrain Herrera to partially play on the wing.

Anyway, thanks for your answers guys, this basque only rule is much harder (And much more fun) then I thought it would be! Going to keep Herrera now :)

I think Herrera has some ability on the left wing maybe? Either way, if not you could train him into that position fairly easily!

Back