Lower League Management - Dafuge Style

LutterworthFox

Premium
Reaction score
Hey everyone and a very Merry Christmas to all of you.

This is an blog series I am doing on my Wordpress site but I have decided to put it on here as well so to get as many people involved as possible. If you like the sound of it then please comment below and I will post the 2 further articles that I have already posted on my site.

I had previously started a LLM save in Level 10 of England with Harborough Town but due to my laptop struggling to process the large amount of matches I had to bin the save and think of something else to do.

After a few days of thinking what to do I decided upon the challenge in the title, some of you may know it, some of you may not. Its called the Dafuge Challenge which is on the SI Forums, named after the guy who created it, it’s a challenge where you sim a season in the English leagues and then take over a team that was previously unplayable that have now won promotion to the National League North/South. I have never done this before but have seen other people try it and it looks fun.

So after simming a season the clubs came up and I chose 4 of them for my Twitter followers to vote on who I should be. The 4 clubs were Ashton United, Hendon, Farnborough and Cambridge City

After 24 hours of voting Cambridge City won with just over 50% of the votes.

So my save had been decided and what I have been doing over the past day or two whilst at work is doing some research on who Cambridge City are, and what I found out was amazing, they have so much history and before I’ve even started my save I feel like I have an attachment to them now.

So this post is literally going to be a little bit about Cambridge City, a bit on their history, nothing much FM related, that will come in the 2nd article once I have completed pre-season (I haven’t even started the save yet!)

Cambridge City – History

Cambridge Town as they were formerly known were founded in 1908 competing in the Southern Amateur League. In 1936 they were invited to apply to play in the Football League, they declined as they wanted to uphold their amateur status.

In 1951 Cambridge was granted City status, Both Cambridge Town and Abbey United applied to be called Cambridge City, as Cambridge Towns application arrived first they were granted the name “City”. After this Abbey United changed their name to Cambridge United.

In 1958 City joined the Southern League South Eastern Zone as a professional club for the first time. In the subsequent years they applied 5 times between 1959 and 1974 to join the Football League, all these were declined.
During the 50’s and 60’s their attendances were the highest in non-league football, getting over 3.500 on average per game, sometimes getting up to 10,000. In 1968 they were relegated from the Southern League and decided to turn semi-professional.

In 1970 Cambridge United were elected into the Football League and after this Cities attendances started to dwindle. After this crowds never exceeded 200 fans. During the 80’s and 90’s City spent most of their time in the Southern League, or Southern Division after a restructure in 1980.

In 2004-2005 season they were put into the newly formed Southern Division of the new Conference Structure. After this their fortunes started to go downhill, they encountered serious financial difficulties, this co-incided with the sale of the clubs ground to an Isle of Man company called Ross River, they were linked to a former director of the club. After this the board decided they were to scrap the clubs first team and turn their reserve team into a feeder club for Cambridge United. This didn’t go down well with the fans who created a supporters trust who within weeks took over the running of the club and took Ross River company to court, where it was ruled the club had been victims of fraud and bribery. The court restored the clubs previous lease of their ground.

In 2008 the ground failed an FA Inspection and they were demoted out of the Conference South because of this.
The club are now on their way back up, they have plans in place for a new 3,000 seater stadium.

So they really have had quite a past, the past 10 years or so have been pretty bad, now its my job on FM to change around their fortunes.

Aims

I have set myself a few goals
1. Survive in the Conference South for 2-3 seasons
2. Build a squad capable of promotion
3. Catch and overtake Cambridge United
4. Become a football league clubs within 7 seasons

After that who knows!

I also want to try and build a philosophy at the club, the Libero really intrigues me and its something I want to incorporate, I have to admit it’s probably not going to work but I’ll have 1 of my 3 tactics with it in and I’ll give it a few pre-season games. I’d like to build a patient build-up, short passing but creative team who are pleasing to watch whilst still being solid at the back.

If you have any suggestions as to how I can do this then I welcome your help! I am terrible at creating tactics so I really would like some input

Thanks for reading.

Speak soon and Merry Christmas!!

Back