Lower League Tactics and Strategies

• Thread starter Thread starter Shiggs713
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 16K

Shiggs713

Reaction score
First I'll kinda introduce myself, as this is my first post here. Been playing FM since 09, lurking around for a few years as well. I'm from the USA (Indiana), and don't know much history or all the interworkings of the beautiful game, but it has intrigued me deeply and has quickly become one of my favorite sports. FM has that attention to detail that no other sports game (and rarely any game for that matter) can deliver, from the pep talks to contract clauses, and boardroom interaction, and because of this I mostly prefer to play as small teams and build them up for the long haul.

I'd like to develop a tactic, or more accurately a set of tactics and other strategies that can be consistently effective in all leagues, but specifically designed around lower leagues with lower talent available. I've tried many tactics around the forums with varying degrees of success. The one that I have used with the most successful results in the lower leagues is an altered version of Raikan007's Might and Magic - Counter. I hope to develop it further with your help, and also some complimentary tactics to beat tactics that this tactic may struggle against. I can't thank you enough Raikan007, and all other contributors! Without you I wouldn't have started this.

The most notable changes are, I removed the Poacher, made room for a DM to help against the vastly superior talent I am usually facing... Set the Fullbacks to defend instead of support, and made the wingers play as inside forwards, since I struggle to get the type of talent to play a true winger (I typically try to use physical striker types that can also play AML/R at that position). Also instead of "counter" we play "control", play slightly narrower and deeper, tackle default instead of cautious and pass shorter. If you are unfamiliar, this is the result;

View attachment 260726

Also I stopped counter attacking since I think in theory using the "control" we should be up the pitch a little further anyways, and it shouldn't be necessary. Most of the time if my CB's, or GK attempt any thing more than a simple pass, its a gift, and stopping counter attacking seemed to lower the number of long attempts they take.

The DLF is basically set up exactly like in the "goals, goals, goals" thread, except he is a DLF instead of poacher, and will come back to get the ball and link up with the other players occasionally. He still runs for through balls plenty enough I think. Plus with the 2 IF's acting similarly offensively, all 3 are a threat for the short pass, run onto a through ball move, as displayed in the goals, goals, goals, thread.

This tactic can be used away or at home, I see no noticeable differences, but where it runs into trouble is against bigger teams. I can usually retain over 50% possession in any game, but against big teams my scoring chances sometimes are quite bad. About equal or lesser opposition this tactic almost always dominates the game, though sometimes bad finishing can end in some draws and scrappy wins.

My current save (and the save I have been developing this thus far) is with Thurrock, originally in the Blue Square South if you are unfamiliar. Here are some of this seasons results;

View attachment 260709View attachment 260759

My best and most recent game, 7 CCC's & table scraps for the opposition! And then arguably one of my worst defeats against a top team in my league

View attachment 260703View attachment 260708

Some great results, some bad ones, this is my dilemma, and reason for posting. This may be the first year I don't earn a promotion for this save. Even still, tied for biggest goal differential, and club spending is a joke compared to most of the league.

View attachment 260706
So I think for the overall talent level I have, its working pretty well. Just need some fine tuning and some complimentary tactics to be used against certain teams that this tactic struggles against. I can provide more information and screens if you think it would be helpful.

View attachment 260760View attachment 260761View attachment 260762View attachment 260763View attachment 260764View attachment 260765View attachment 260766
Any position not listed, plays about the same as the similar position (AMR, RB, ect.)

I use the "play out of defense", "pass to feet", "work ball into box", "retain possession", and "stand off opponents" shouts normally, though sometimes in desperation or curiosity I change them.

I have to admit though even though possession is usually quite nice, many of the good chances come from corners and free kicks. I have a really great young CM (Ross Connolly if you are interested) that is a beast in both corners and free kicks, plus I think my set up is a good one. I have no idea what the corner glitch is, though I have heard of it, so excuse me if this is similar or the same.

View attachment 260768View attachment 260767

View attachment 260769View attachment 260770

I can upload the tactic if anyone wants, but it is not totally ready yet, so no results guaranteed or anything like that. I hope to get some more testing and tweaks done soon, perhaps some insight on possible other tactics to use in combination with, or fine tuning adjustments. I'm not claiming to know anything other than this tactic is usually pretty effective at the lower levels, hasn't been tested in high levels. It has some weaknesses, that is why I am here, so hopefully with your help it can become an even better tactic. It worked wonders the first couple seasons, but now it seems less effective as I am facing stronger teams.

Ideally I'd like to add 2 complimentary tactics to use when this tactic does not work, sort of like a paper, rock, scissors type of thing, and finish refining this tactic as well.

Almost all credits should go to Raikan007 for his original tactic that this was developed from - Might and Magic.

If you have read this far, thank you, and if you have any helpful insight to add thank you again.

-Shiggs

Last edited:
Thanks for your interest! I'll keep playing a bit tonight, if the results continue to be good I'll upload probably tomorrow, though you could pretty much build the tactic from the pictures in the first post.

View attachment 260853View attachment 260852View attachment 260851

0 CCC's allowed in the last 3 games, while getting 4 CCC's for ourselves, including a dramatic draw vs Chelsea!

I dunno about you but getting a draw vs Chelsea with a yearly payroll of 882k feels pretty good :)

Striker Jamil Adams scored both of them in regular play off through balls. He was playing as the DLF off a long through ball for the first one, and as the AML for the second one inside the six yard box, though somehow it wasn't considered a CCC, it was a very easy goal. Didn't change anything except creative mentality set to default and started out with "counter" mentality, eventually switched to "standard", scored both of them on standard.

Defense has been great, but not creating the possession or attacks it did in the previous leagues anymore.

View attachment 260856

The 2nd game vs Chelsea at Samford Road was pretty ugly (English FA). 1 shot attempted :( an inch or two away from a fast break here and there. Made them work hard for it at least, and actually did better with possession than the first time. They got lucky honestly, should have only beat me 1-0. Still 0 CCC's allowed in 2 games vs Chelsea so I think the defense is close. The offense needs some adjustments still.

Last edited:
There isn't one yet. I'm not totally happy with the results I've been getting lately. They are still a bit inconsistent at times. Win 5-0 and dominate some games, and lose 0-1 and barely get a shot on goal some other games. Defensively its pretty good, but not always the best attacking.

It can be mostly made from the pictures abov, or just download the Might and Magic tactic from Raikan, and adjust it for your needs.

There isn't one yet. I'm not totally happy with the results I've been getting lately. They are still a bit inconsistent at times. Win 5-0 and dominate some games, and lose 0-1 and barely get a shot on goal some other games. Defensively its pretty good, but not always the best attacking.

Part of that is just kind of the way it's gonna be at lower levels. Your players are terrible, so you're going to lose some games just due to luck no matter how good your tactics are.

Could I please get a link for this. I will be testing it with FC United of Manchester & Sunderland.

Thanks.

Great post and a good read. Good luck and I am happily waiting for your tactic to try myself.

Part of that is just kind of the way it's gonna be at lower levels. Your players are terrible, so you're going to lose some games just due to luck no matter how good your tactics are.

Yea I agree, many of the players are inconsistent, and just overall not that great in some areas.

Could I please get a link for this. I will be testing it with FC United of Manchester & Sunderland.

Thanks.

I'll try to get an upload in by tonight. I've made some more changes after looking at some other successful tactics. Results have been promising so far, if it continues, I'll make some edits and post it.

Great post and a good read. Good luck and I am happily waiting for your tactic to try myself.

Thank you! I don't want to claim all this as my work, as quite a bit of it is based on Raikaans tactics and some other general tactics from other contributors. Its more like a compilation of tactics and tweaks to work better in lower leagues.

Back