Maceyp

Reaction score
Macey - 4-4-1-1 High Pressure Counter

View attachment 455324

Some of you may know my thread in Tactics section where i am creating replica tactics for teams in real life. Some of them just dont work in the match engine others do. Well i thought i would share my tactic i've used in my career. I was firstly manager of Luton got them promoted, stayed mid table then got sack in my 3rd season. This was probably due to having a brand new squad and just a too complex tactic. So along came Leyton Orient in League One and they offer me the job. I started with the complex tactic again. We took 0 wins 5 draws and 2 losses to my frustration. Now looking back at my Team Tactics thread i had a though. I need to get the formation simple. 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 so that's what i did. I'm a massive fan of the team working as a whole not individual superstars so i wanted a team that would press high up the pitch to try and steal the ball back and stop the opponents from attacking. But when i recieve the ball i dont want them to pass it around like Barcelona i want them to hit them with pace and catch them off balance. So along came this Simpe 4-4-1-1 Formation that has one duty. Get ball back give it to AM wingers / midfield support as soon as possible. I had great success with this and finished off the season just outside play-offs by 3points. Not bad considering we was in relegation zone and i had all the top teams in back end of season..

View attachment 455322

With one of the weakest teams in the league with no outstanding players we managed to go on a 15 game unbeaten run which is a new club record.
The 5-0 win over Mk Dons was the highlight.
So what does the tactic do. Limits teams to scoring set pieces, long shots only. Minimizes there clear cut chances. Increases out Clear cut chances.
Generally the other team will have more possession and you will have more shots.

Strategy

At Home (Big Favorites) - Set mentality to Attacking
At Home (Close/Non-Fav) - Leave it on Counter
Away - Leave it on Counter

Its very much a Plug in Play with no OI, Shouts etc.
Please try this at all levels. Good Teams, Lower League teams etc.

Training

All Training is set to Balanced.

Players

Generally need players that are willing to put effort in all over the pitch and fight for the team. So they need the obvious stats in there natural positions plus Teamwork, Work rate, Stamina and Anticipation.

Enjoy the tactic and please check out my team tactics thread

Download Link: Macey - Simple Pressing

Another Similar Style of Tactic

Here is another tactic of mine that works similar to the one above and may give better results if the above isnt working perfectly. To be honest i actually use this one at Home and and Simple Pressing Away from home.

View attachment 454367

Download Link: Pressing at Home (Milan Tactic)​

Last edited:
I'm gonna try this (or see some of your ideas) to my Dortmund save. I'm very strong in the league, winning fairly easy but I'm struggling a bit away against same/better opponents. Specially now that I'm gonna start the knock-out stage of CL :)

I'll give it a go, can i push the wingers up into a 4231, and still have the same effect. I'm looking for how the 3 in that postition play for Southampton? flair and pace going forward, hard work and pressuring coming back :)

I'll give it a go, can i push the wingers up into a 4231, and still have the same effect. I'm looking for how the 3 in that postition play for Southampton? flair and pace going forward, hard work and pressuring coming back :)
Ofcourse you can tweak it to your way, you never know it might end up working better.

Like Winston said: "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often."

EDIT: I've uploaded a second 4-4-1-1 that works slightly different to counter one. Its got the same intention just a bit of variety. Generally i use this one at home and counter away =)

Last edited:
I am in a real s**ty spot right now, with Achilles '29, Holland. This might be just what I need.

Although starting as relegation favorites in the 2nd league and being the only semi-professional team in that league, I managed to get the maximum out of the worst group of players you can manage, and won promotion through playoffs.

Because of all these players on amateur contracts leaving to 'bigger clubs' after promotion (bigger as in a bigger club in the division lower ^^)), and the board giving me next to no transfer or wage budget, I am basically forced to play youth players to battle teams as Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven...

A small hint for fellow players: make sure you have all players in database of 17yo and below scouted. When the head of youth devellopment announces new intake of youth players, scout all the players of 17yo and younger which havent been scouted yet. You will be rewarded with 2-3 wonderkids on average, even when managing a ****** club like me.

So to cut to the chase: My best player's coach report says: This player would be a decent player for 3rd tier league in Holland, and that is my goalkeeper :p. In the first season I managed to find 5 youngsters with 5 star potential rating, of which an ML and MR, both defensive wingers. I am going down again unless a miracle occurs and since my best player isnt even good enough for a league lower, I decided to play the season with all my 5 star potential players in the startup 11.

As I never played any defensive tactics (I usually play a very attacking possession based game), and as I am nearly forced to play 4411 because of the players at my disposal, plus the fact that this tactic plays both my wonderkids in defensive winger on MR and ML, I am gonna give this a serious try.

Lets hope I can give you some positive feedback, although the test isnt representative as I have a HORRIBLE team to work with :p