• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Newcastle sign midfielder Sylvain Marveaux from French club Rennes on a five-year deal.

More...

Interesting, reportedly fails his medical with Liverpool and then signs for Newcastle the next day.

I don't understand that concept, how could he fail a medical and yet sign for another club the next day? :S

Apparently he never failed his medical at all with Liverpool and couldn't agree a contract.

Edit: Just seen there he said there was no disagreement and he denies claims that he failed his medical. I think it was probably because he'd get more game time at NUFC and we're already bringing in a lot of French players.

Last edited:
Why whenever something is wrong with a deal the media will report it as a failed medical? First Jones, now Marveaux.

Apparently he never failed his medical at all with Liverpool and couldn't agree a contract.

Edit: Just seen there he said there was no disagreement and he denies claims that he failed his medical. I think it was probably because he'd get more game time at NUFC and we're already bringing in a lot of French players.

He failed his medical and Liverpool pulled out of offering him a contract on the wages he wanted as a result. You've gone in and offered him the contract he wanted, so fair play to you lot if Brukner and co. were wrong about his groin injury not being a cause for concern.

He has not failed his medical, Newcastle's late bid was accepted, and Liverpool did not match it, so he joined Newcastle. Newcastle's medicals are stringent, so if there was anything wrong, it would have been picked up

Guess we have a situation here where Liverpool fans will insist he failed a medical, to save face, and Newcastle fans will insist he just chose them ahead of Liverpool.

Interesting. Shame we don't really have a 'troll' in the midst of these two sets of fans.

****** ****, so Newcastle have signed Demba Ba and Marveux within a few days of each other? What are they trying to do, assemble the world's most injury-prone squad? Owen Hargreaves and Jonathan Woodgate are available on frees, and Keiron Dyer must be knocking around somewhere, I suppose...

****** ****, so Newcastle have signed Demba Ba and Marveux within a few days of each other? What are they trying to do, assemble the world's most injury-prone squad? Owen Hargreaves and Jonathan Woodgate are available on frees, and Keiron Dyer must be knocking around somewhere, I suppose...

Alan Smith's going back to Leeds, though.

Meh, it is a risk, as everyone seems to want to point out, but he is on a free, and sometimes risks are worth taking, because on the off chance he manages to stay fit, he could be an awesome player, and it will be seen as a master-stroke, if it doesn't, we get lynched with a duff player for 5 years. You win some, you lose some, I think we are in a position where players of this calibre are too good for us to really turn down, even if there are doubts surrounding them or their fitness.

He did fail his medical at Liverpool, and I for one am happy. We've got an awful record with bosmans, they demand high wages, signing on fee etc. Decent player when fit, but that doesn't happen often.

He is injury prone however, but still this is a steal for Newcastle! Although with 2 players who have previsouly failed a medical, its a bit of a gamble!

****** ****, no one knows whether he failed his medical or not unless the clubs or another reliable source (not itk's) say anything, we might aswell take the players word for it and assume he didn't agree personal terms at liverpool

****** ****, no one knows whether he failed his medical or not unless the clubs or another reliable source (not itk's) say anything, we might aswell take the players word for it and assume he didn't agree personal terms at liverpool

Unbiased Journalists? Rory Smith (Telegraph)

He did fail his medical at Liverpool, and I for one am happy. We've got an awful record with bosmans, they demand high wages, signing on fee etc. Decent player when fit, but that doesn't happen often.

Billy said:
Guess we have a situation here where Liverpool fans will insist he failed a medical, to save face, and Newcastle fans will insist he just chose them ahead of Liverpool.

Interesting. Shame we don't really have a 'troll' in the midst of these two sets of fans.

Knew it.

His last full interrupted season with Rennes(09-10), 35 games, 10 goals, 5 assists in Ligue 1. #class

Not really Billy. Lad himself while denying that he failed medical says that it was contractual problems after the medical which caused deal to fall through. He's been available on pre-contract for nigh on six months now - the paperwork will have been done. Something at the medical caused us to pull the deal or try to renegotiate. If he stays fit, he'll be a great signing for Newcastle. Obviously it seems that we saw something which caused the risk of him not staying fit to go up more than we were willing to pay for on the initial terms of his contract. Newcastle seem to believe he is worth the risk, and good luck to them.

Back