xtremeRED

Reaction score
I am attempting to make my team play 3-4-1-2...

reason to play 3 at the back is mostly due to the lack of a top left back, and to suit the players I have...

I am in the summer of 2019, and the following players would be more or less the primary starters:

GK : Marc Andre Ter Stegen

CD : Raphael Varane
CD : Matthias Ginter
CD : Jose Maria Gimenez

MR : Alex Oxlade Chamberlain
MC : Mateo Kovacic
MC : Pierre Emile Hojbjerg
ML : Ylli Sallahi / A new player

AMC : Hakan Calhanoglu

ST : Karim Benzema
ST : Wayne Rooney

Now, the strikers are aging, but they are still quality.

I'd be looking to play a front 3 in the roles as follows:
Poacher (ST) , False 9(ST) & Trequartista (AMC)..

A few things to note..

1. I like the team to take control of the game, keep a good amount of possession..
that should mean short passing and retain possession in general, right?
however, I prefer my team to play a higher tempo, though that's not of utmost importance..
as such, what else should go with a control mind set?
pass into space and run into defenders are instructions I use depending on the opposition's defense line..

2. The wide players.. I like them to cross more... deadly crosses.. and at times, for them to drift inside and attempt a few shots..
play wide, float crosses, close down more/much more, *not* cross more as I would let them look for the right moment to cross..

3. The defensive line.. high line, play out of defense, ie building from the back...
I have never used clear ball to the flanks or to pump those balls out from defense, nor do I like to employ these instructions...

4. The central midfielders... they would run run run, close down a lot more, create excellent chances... more risky passes, precisely..

Now, coming to player roles...

I am looking at a

Sweeper Keeper on Support role. Ter Stegen!

The central defense is something I am working on..
with 3 at the back, I am thinking of a libero and 2 central defenders.. the CD's/BPD's on stopper duty probably and the libero on support. Varane and Hojbjerg are both apt playing SW..

Wide players.. needing advice on player roles and instructions..

CM's as well, what roles would suit them?

the front 3 more or less is a given with their roles and what I expect of them...

Looking to see what people think of the same, and if anyone has any suggestions or advice..

thanks to all..