Making this tactic more defensively sound

Fragnat

Reaction score
Hello, I created this 4-3-3 and im having decent success with it. Currently 2nd in the league behind chelsea after 12 games. The ones problem seems to be I tend to concede quite a bit, I just score a bit more then I concede.
View attachment 217032
View attachment 217031
I dont really have any player instructions apart from DM closing down less. Most conceded goals come from left wing and they are mostly crosses.

Is there anything that jumps out at you guys as wrong in the tactic?

There is a huge gap between your raumdauteur and your left back who is on a support duty.

I am guessing that if you are conceding from crosses from deep, then the opposition is utilising this vacant space.

Or, since the Raumdauteur doesn't track back a lot, it leaves your left back in 2 on 1 situations if and when the opposition fullback attacks.

Furthermore, both the CM attack and the Roaming Playmaker are runners and there is a chance that they aren't able to provide adequate defensive cover for your attacking Raumdauteur. Especially more so since the 2 players currently playing in these roles are physically incapable of doing this.

Why are you playing Arteta as a Roaming Playmaker? Does he have the physical attributes to pull this role off?

I dont really have any player instructions apart from DM closing down less. Most conceded goals come from left wing and they are mostly crosses.
Their left or yours? I'd say your right wing is quite open with the CM/A and the FB/A all bursting forward.

There is a huge gap between your raumdauteur and your left back who is on a support duty.

I am guessing that if you are conceding from crosses from deep, then the opposition is utilising this vacant space.

Or, since the Raumdauteur doesn't track back a lot, it leaves your left back in 2 on 1 situations if and when the opposition fullback attacks.

Furthermore, both the CM attack and the Roaming Playmaker are runners and there is a chance that they aren't able to provide adequate defensive cover for your attacking Raumdauteur. Especially more so since the 2 players currently playing in these roles are physically incapable of doing this.

Why are you playing Arteta as a Roaming Playmaker? Does he have the physical attributes to pull this role off?

Should i change the FB(s) to something else? And Arteta is there temporarily since Cazorla was injured as well as Wilshere

Their left or yours? I'd say your right wing is quite open with the CM/A and the FB/A all bursting forward.

My left. But im not sure how much worse then right wing

My left. But im not sure how much worse then right wing
What type of crosses are they? Is your fullback getting beaten and then a cross? Does the cross come in before he gets there?

What have you done to try and rectify things?

Why is the DM on close down less?

What type of crosses are they? Is your fullback getting beaten and then a cross? Does the cross come in before he gets there?

What have you done to try and rectify things?

Why is the DM on close down less?

Mostly they are crosses from deep and fullback doesnt get to do much. Maybe he needs more cover?
So far I just experimented with changing from WB to FB and im not sure if it helped.
My thinking was while the 2 CMs press the DM stays back and protects back 4 thus making it better defensively

Mostly they are crosses from deep and fullback doesnt get to do much. Maybe he needs more cover?
So the fullback doesn't get there yet? The most obvious change would be either asking him to close down more or asking the same thing through OIs on their right winger.

You could also look at getting him help, which would either involve making the DM a bit more proactive in closing down, setting a more defensive role for the RPM or getting the AML to help out.

First thing is put a lot more pressure on their right winger though.

is it the winger crossing or the full back?

is it possible for you to post examples of the game play?

Last edited:
Good point. I just assumed it was the winger!

So yeah the first action would be to try and get more pressure on him to stop him getting those crosses in. I'd also think about looking at the supply to this winger and see if there was anyway to help reduce it.

So yeah the first action would be to try and get more pressure on him to stop him getting those crosses in. I'd also think about looking at the supply to this winger and see if there was anyway to help reduce it.

Would changing RPM to AP or DLP help a lot more? If yes which one

I'd also think about looking at the supply to this winger and see if there was anyway to help reduce it.

To add to this, have a look at where the RPM is positioned when the ball is fed to their winger. I'm assuming it's the RPM's opposite number who is providing the passes to the winger. Either specific mark (depending on how much time your RPM has to go and stop the pass) or consider a more reserved role (that doesn't get as far up field) there.

no word of a lie mate i basically had the same formation as you and was getting spanked as well, with just my full backs different. My LB was WBA and my RB was FBS

I made some changes and they have worked a dream for me, they may not work for you but my team is much more defensively solid now.

My changes were;

Changed my left winger who was a RMD to APS

Changed my left central midfielder from RPM to CMAuto

Changed my right winger from IFS to IFA

Changed my defensive midfielder from DMD to AM. I also, which i feel has been very important, moved the defensive midfielder one slot left, so instead of him being central he sits in front of the Left CB. I did this because after reading some of WJ's posts i thought to myself that my DM just had too hard a job, he was trying to cover such a large amount of space with the left of my team being very attacking. Moving him over to the left just made it easier for him to either fill in the defensive line when my WB goes up field or the cover the space he has left. Coupled with the RB being a FBS he doesnt get as far forward so the DM does not have to worry about the right hand side as much.

Last thing i do is tell my LW and RW to man mark the opponents full backs because overlaps seem to be so dangerous on this game.

Anyway, hope that helped or it could be a pile of **** haha.

I know my tactic is pretty centralised but it just seems to work for me, cant complain with the change in results either haha

View attachment 216912View attachment 216911

Last edited: