Man City pull plug on Eto'o move

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 872

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manchester City have ended their interest in Barcelona's Cameroon international striker Samuel Eto'o.

More...

A good think in my opinion. I don't think he would have been worth it at all.

A good think in my opinion. I don't think he would have been worth it at all.
Agreed. City have the money to buy anyone they want, but they haven't got the reputation of Barca, Real, and the others. City already have Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Benjani, Ched Evans, Robinho, they don't need another forward. They seem to be buying for buying's sake.

i dont think Hughes has a big say in half of these guys thewre going for. They need to be realistic for now and sign players like Bellamy and Santa Cruz and if they start doing well maybe attract better and bigger

I don't think they really wanted him, a bit like the Kaka deal. Never expected or even tried to sign them, just wanted the world to know they can offer players £250K+ on whoever they want.. Now Terry is probably more a target they want.

To be honest, as much as I hate to say this, City's team is good anyway without all of these signings. They have some great talent coming through, and the purchases of players is going to stop these lads coming through. I actually think Robinho is the weak link, he is way too inconsistent. I mean how many Brazilians have came to England and done well. Gilberto Silva, Juninho(boro legend), and to be honest I can't think of any others. I guarantee the list is very short.

To be honest, as much as I hate to say this, City's team is good anyway without all of these signings. They have some great talent coming through, and the purchases of players is going to stop these lads coming through. I actually think Robinho is the weak link, he is way too inconsistent. I mean how many Brazilians have came to England and done well. Gilberto Silva, Juninho(boro legend), and to be honest I can't think of any others. I guarantee the list is very short.

Rochemback was okay. But tbf there hasn't been many Brazilians in the Premiership..

But they might have a good team but Aston Villa & Everton & I guess Tottenham are still better. They need signings that can rival the big 4 if they want a chance to even make Europe.

anderson.

alex has done alrite so far hes a complete rock. but yer not alot of brazilians can handle it the english game is all about grit and determination and power and they find it hard to deal with

alex has done alrite so far hes a complete rock. but yer not alot of brazilians can handle it the english game is all about grit and determination and power and they find it hard to deal with
Alex hasn't played a lot for Chelsea until recently, and spent one or two seasons at PSV, a less competitive league, but it is still a similar type of league to the Prem. When it gets to end of September they all go into hibernation, and don't come out until April, if at all.

Is that the same 'inconsistent' Robinho that was City's top scorer last season?

19-11-08: Anderson = Complete and utter flop. ;)

yes that would be the one. 31 games, 14 goals. It's not bad, I concede that, a goal every 2.3 games if I am not mistaken. But he is a world-class striker, he really should be scoring nearer to 20, if not more. He was poor in November, his only goal was in the UEFA cup against Twente, and didnt score until February.

Agreed. City have the money to buy anyone they want, but they haven't got the reputation of Barca, Real, and the others. City already have Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Benjani, Ched Evans, Robinho, they don't need another forward. They seem to be buying for buying's sake.

Best statement you'll hear all transfer transfer market.

Not only that, they just lost Daniel Sturridge, who is a fantastic striker and deserves to be in the team over Bellamy and Robinho in my opinion. I'm sure he really wanted to move to Chelsea but they should have done all they could to hang on to him, guarantee him first team football or something.

Bellamy will probably be old news by next season, so thats what, 15m was it? Down the pan.

Robinho will probably leave if Man City don't progress big time next season.

Benjani is old and lets face it, he's not going to get any more than 5 games now with these big name signings with Man City's board thinking they're bigger than they are.

Santa Cruz is a quality signing, if he could bring back his form from the season before last with Blackburn he will really show his colours at City. And if City could spend their money wisely on Bentley to partner him, like at Blackburn, even better.

Ched Evans is also someone they need to keep hold of, and Caicedo if he's back from injury, he will become class as well. They're Man City's future, not 2 season wonders buying and selling when they need players. Keep bringing them up from the ranks like they were doing before the takeover.

i know your just saying that to annoy me. anderson is truly a god. he may not score but that doesn't matter to me.

It's simple. Man City need to build on the squad they have. Slowly.
This is my first team for City -

GK - GIVEN
DR - ZABALETA
DL - BRIDGE
DC - M. RICHARDS
DC - R. DUNNE
MR - S.W.PHILLIPS
ML - M. PETROV
MC - G. BARRY
MC - S. IRELAND
ST - ROBINHO
ST - R. SANTA CRUZ

SUBS
1 - J. HART
2 - N. ONOUHA
3 - N. DE JONG
4 - M. JOHNSON
5 - V. KOMPANY
6 - C. BELLAMY
7 - F. CAICEDO/C. EVANS

I don't see where City need to improve, maybe the wings and another CB would be enough for them.

I think Man City will never have their 'dream-team' if they are keeping changing the players. Selling ones, buying others will lead to a poor squad harmony and they will never take a Champions League position.

Just look at Everton!
They haven't nothing if you are looking at their names and ages, but their quality and the harmony of the squad made from them a team who finish on the 5th-6th position in the last years.

Back