tksolway

Reaction score
So the ManU Board wants us to play possession football now. K...

How?....

4231 Formation with

P/AF
IF/W - T - IF/W
AP - BWM
CWB - CD - CD - CWB

Control - Fluid

Retain Possession, Short Passing, Play out of Defense, Push Higher Up, More Expressive, Stay on Feet, Tighter Marking.

Initially I tried setting the instruction to slow down play, but my players would just stand around with the ball and wait to be tackled by foes that played a higher tempo. So I changed the instruction to High Tempo.

My main issue is that my defenders bomb the ball up the field and give it away. I bought Dede to pair up with Phil Jones as my main pairing. I know they aren't the best defenders in the universe, but one would assume they can pick a pass to their fullbacks.

Anyone else seeing this same issue, have you found a solution?

Do your players have passing options when they are in possession?

With 'Short Passing' they will look for players close to themselves and 'Retain Possession' might make them reluctant to play riskier balls. This could also be why your CDs end up going long.

With a 4231 you will need the BWM to be on defend to keep him back, the AP might be better as a roaming playmaker or DLP. A DLP will also give the CDs an extra outlet.

Also look at your strikers' positioning - they are probably isolated upfront as those roles won't come back to be involved in play. With those instructions you might need to play them as a False Nine, DLF or CF support (no idea if that will be effective).

From what I have read direct passing is more effective in the ME at present (not played enough myself to pass judgement).

ill tell you how i do it for my manchester united side and it is a slight tweak from how i set up on older fm's

DR: Full Back Defend
DCR: Central Defender Defend
DCL: Central Defender Defend
DL: Full Back Defend
MCR:Deep Lying Playmaker Defend
MCL: Roaming Playmaker Support
AMR: Winger Attack
AMC: Advanced Playmaker Attack
AML: Winger Attack
STC: Poacher Attack Or Complete Foward Attack
with oi short passing retain posession exploit the flanks only instructions works very well as it doesnt over complicate things and is a very good formation in big games u just strech the play leading to battering rivals
control fluid as 1st formation and 2nd formation as same formation on counter flexible
trust me you will be rampant losing very few games + this formation will bring out the best in ur widemen & blind carrick & herrera as its suited to skillful midfielders intercepting play and counter attacking teams with speed

Thanks for the info guys, I haven't tried the Roaming Playmaker yet, how is it different from Deep or Advanced? I think I will try Rooney or Van Persie up top as a Complete Forward rather than Poacher/AF, see if that helps as well.

advanced playmaker has a specific role and box 2 box is playin from 1 box to the other but roaming playmaker can move aroundthe pitch and find pockets of space to influenced the game on & off the ball

Thanks, that sounds like a good role to try out.

it suits herrera to a tee another player i;d recommend to bring in as a rotation roaming playmaker is florenzi you can snap him up around 12.75m and he can fill in nicely for herrera when needed

I just managed to get the board to reconsider playing possession football in the first meeting where they ask if you want to change any philosophies

All out attack and lots of closing down will achieve possession without even meaning to.