Managing The Cook Islands

JuniorPoruko

Reaction score
After having played FM 2009 with several different teams, I was slightly bored by the way that the same players have to be signed in every game in order to be successful (I'm talking Srna, Vagner Love, Balotelli, Bojan, Vela, Zhirkov etc.) Having read a thread about managing Bhutan, I decided to take up the task of improving the fortunes of one of the lowest ranked countries in world football. This would be a challenge as I would have to rely on my tactical skills to gain success.

At the beginning of the 2008/2009 season I was put in charge of The Cook Islands national team. Ranked 202 in the world, the task ahead seemed huge. Luckily board expectations are to "maintain the nation's pride in all matches". For a team used to losing games by more than 10 goals in real life, this shouldn't be too hard!

From quickly browsing the squad, it was apparent that only one player was taking part in regular football, with Tuka Tisam on a part time contract at Pine Rivers United, a small team from Australia.

View attachment 8195

Something else I found rather amusing was that a 54 year old midfielder was available to me! Not sure I've ever seen an older outfield player so far. Would be interested to hear if anyone has got a screenshot of an older player! Funnily enough he's not any worse than some of my first team squad at the moment.

View attachment 8189

My plan for the team at the moment is to build a formation around Tuka Tisam, as he is by far my best player. I like to play a 4-4-2 system with short quick passing, so will initially try this out in a few friendlies that I have planned against some teams ranked between 100 and 200 in the world rankings

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Match: Cook Islands 0 v 1 Anguilla (ranked 158th)
The game started with Anguilla scoring an early goal. The idiots in my defence let one man run around all four of them before he cooly slotted past our keeper. Despite this, we battled to the end hitting the post twice, and my usual 4-4-2 quick passing system looked like it might get us some goals in the next game. To be honest, after seeing some of the finishing from my attackers in this game, I think a goal would be something to celebrate!

Second Match: Cook Islands 3 v 3 Bhutan (ranked 196th)
According to the world rankings, this would be a close game, although the betting odds suggested my men had no chance. Using the same attacking 4-4-2 formation our team got straight out of the blocks, when star striker Tisam scored following a good through ball. According to the commentary it was probably offside, but this didn't stop me jumping up into the air to celebrate! Things kept getting better as James Nand, the country's most capped player skinned 3 players before apparently handling the ball into the net! Funnily enough, our 3rd was another Maradona incident according to the commentary, with our centre back 'Mani' punching the ball into the net! 3-0 up before half time and I thought we were coasting.... A few subs at half time and the team collapsed. From dominating the game with quick short passing, the players decided to lump the ball anywhere, even providing the team with two assists. With 5 minutes to go and staring at our first ever win, I took off a striker and put on a DFMid. Just to ruin my day, the annoyingly named '***-Lay' of Bhutan dribbles the entire length of the pitch after our own corner and scores. Still a draw is progress for the cooks, and we moved up to 199th in the next world rankings!!!

Third Match: Cooks 1 v 0 American Samoa (133rd)
Despite the Samoan's much higher ranking, we dominated the game and Tisam scored a wondergoal! Dribbled past 3 men before launching one from 25 yards. Long range shooting is clearly the way forward against teams at this standard as they never get anywhere near shots. First win! On the way up!

Fourth Match: Netherlands Antilles (160th) 2 v 0 Cooks
So I just found out another formation is needed for away games. We were completely outplayed and struggled to get any shots on target in our final friendly of the year.

View attachment 8193

Our next year will involve preparing for the Oceanic Nations Cup that begins in December with more scheduled friendlies beforehand

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and let me know if anyone wants to hear more of my story in the future, or if you have any tips on managing a low-ranking national team. I will keep playing and will update soon on my progress at the Nations Cup!

Well thank you Jake.

Its been a while since ive been on the site. My computer broke around christmas 2008 and ive not been able for various reasons to buy a new one capable of playing the old FM my thread was on let alone FM2010.

However im back, Ive got a new computer on monday and a copy of FM2010 today, so im going to do the same thing again, but this time im going to unlock the Cook Islands Cup and start from there.

Well thank you Jake.

Its been a while since ive been on the site. My computer broke around christmas 2008 and ive not been able for various reasons to buy a new one capable of playing the old FM my thread was on let alone FM2010.

However im back, Ive got a new computer on monday and a copy of FM2010 today, so im going to do the same thing again, but this time im going to unlock the Cook Islands Cup and start from there.

no doubt if its as good as your last one it will be one of the best stories on FM-Base. Your original is still my favourite story ever.

Welcome back :D

I like the way Jake silenced out JuniorPoruko from doing his story.XD

epic fail from JustKituno for re viewing this thread

this needs to be closed

yep exactly.

we better stop, we are spamming the thread