Manchester United Vs. Arsenal
Saturday 12th March 2011
17:15 KO
ITV 1

yceFn.png
s6aFz.png

X2xwF.png
2aX6s.png

Arsenal head to Manchester United for their FA Cup quarter-final in a clash where both teams have something to prove after bad weeks.

The Gunners were defeated by Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League in midweek, where despite scoring courtesy of a Sergio Busquets own goal, were comprehensively outplayed and beaten 3-1 without registering a single shot at goal.

Following their Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham at the end of February, it leaves the Premier League and the FA Cup as Arsene Wenger's only targets to finally end their six-year trophy drought this season.

Despite not playing in the Champions League this week, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson will be desperate to silence the doubters and get back to winning ways against the most realistic challengers to their lead in the league.

Arsenal sit just three points back with a game in hand on their old rivals and victory for either team in the cup at Old Trafford could give them the psychological edge in the race for the title.

It has been a chastening week for United, with the Red Devils well beaten in a highly charged North West derby against Liverpool at Anfield last Sunday, where they lost 3-1.

The club opted to impose a media blackout following the encounter, with Ferguson only breaking his silence on Wednesday, keeping his comments to a minimum while he faces an FA reprimand over his words about referee Martin Atkinson following their 2-1 at Chelsea five days before the Liverpool clash.

Team news

Manchester United:

Portuguese winger Nani will also miss out for United after suffering a deep gash in his leg from Jamie Carragher's challenge during the Liverpool game and will not return until after the international break at the end of March.

United captain Rio Ferdinand is also still out as he looks to recover from a calf injury in an injury-blighted season for the 32-year-old.

Captain Nemanja Vidic will return to the backline after serving a one-match ban against Liverpool and is likely to partner Chris Smalling following Wes Brown's poor showing at Anfield.

Johnny Evans should return to the bench for United after recovering from his injury.

Van der Sar
Rafael Smalling Vidic Evra
Fletcher Carrick Gibson Giggs
Berbatov Rooney
Arsenal:

Arsenal, meanwhile, will definitely be without skipper Cesc Fabregas, who was rushed back for the clash at Barcelona, but ended up being a fall guy as his sloppy backheel cost his team the first goal by Lionel Messi.
Robin van Persie, who was harshly sent off for kicking the ball away at Camp Nou, is set to play and will captain the team in Fabregas' absence.

Manuel Almunia is likely to start in goal after Wojciech Szczesny was withdrawn in the first half with a dislocated finger on Tuesday.

Theo Walcott (ankle), midfielder Alex Song (knee) and centre-half Thomas Vermaelen (Achilles) all remain unavailable for the Gunners.

Almunia
Sagna Djourou Koscielny Gibbs
Denilson Wilshere Nasri
Bendtner Van Persie Arshavin​

Manchester United 2-0 Arsenal

I'm pretty sure they will trip on this hurdle too - they ****** up the last two

ARSENAL FC TEAM

Almunia

Sagna Koscienly Djourou Clichy
Wilshere Diaby
Rosicky Nasri Arshavin
Van Persie

thats the Arsenal team not the one you wrote

United to win this, Arsenal to win the league.

United 3-2 Arsenal.

Last edited:
It hasnt been confimed tho and its only predicted so chill.

United to win this, Arsenal to win the league.

United 2-3 Arsenal.

United to win yet we win? haha.

I think we need to win otherwise our seasons over.

Head 2-1 Utd
Heart 2-0 Arsenal

United to win yet we win? haha.

I think we need to win otherwise our seasons over.

Head 2-1 Utd
Heart 2-0 Arsenal

Yes, United win this game and the FA Cup. Arsenal to lose this and win the league. ;)

Read somewhere everytime we had alternate winners in FA cup. Last time we won, hope this streak will be broken this time.

If we can stop Arsenal from scoring, we should win. I can't see them defending too well against. We are definitely going to miss Park in this type of game. I hope we play a 4-5-1, that should counter Arsenal well. Playing a 4-4-2 could be risky.

ARSENAL FC TEAM

Almunia

Sagna Koscienly Djourou Clichy
Wilshere Diaby
Rosicky Nasri Arshavin
Van Persie

thats the Arsenal team not the one you wrote

How do you know that? :/

Don't buy all this Arsenal negativity. Some of the Arsenal fans on here need to grow a pair pretty **** quickly - every game seems to be a season defining match without anyone giving any credit for undoubtedly being the closest to a trophy/the league. Have some hope for crying out loud!

Not necessarily directed at you by the way, Calum.

I'm going to the match, hopefully my long **** coach trip up there won't be rewarded with a loss. Though even if the result isn't favourable, it'll still be a brilliant experience to go to Old Trafford and the Atmosphere will be immense so really looking forward to it.

I'm going to the match, hopefully my long **** coach trip up there won't be rewarded with a loss. Though even if the result isn't favourable, it'll still be a brilliant experience to go to Old Trafford and the Atmosphere will be immense so really looking forward to it.

You'll love it. I went to this year's league game & the atmosphere in the Away stand was just brilliant.

Don't really want either team to win the cup, so just make it a fun night for the neutral please.

Manchester United 5 - 5 Arsenal please, with a wonder goal or 10.

Expect a bore fest Utd current form is brutal and Arsenal will be on a downer after the Barca game so i expect both teams try not to lose the game rather than go for the win.

Expect a bore fest Utd current form is brutal and Arsenal will be on a downer after the Barca game so i expect both teams try not to lose the game rather than go for the win.
uniteds away form is brutal, united's home form is almost perfect

Back