Marco Reus

boyschewlego

Reaction score
Got a release clause for £21m, absolute bargain. Problem is, he thinks Arsenal are beneath him and I tried to persuade him to come in a conversation but with no success. Firstly, this is pretty unrealistic because in real life I think Arsenal would have a good chance of signing Reus if they met his release clause (well done SI). Secondly, does anyone know the best way to talk him round to taking a chance on a small time club like Arsenal who are only the 5th most valuable football club in the world?

If Arsenal triggered his clause then Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Juventus, PSG, Monaco, Bayern, Man City (Man Utd despite lack of CL football) and probably more would also be in for him. Now it is not for me to say that all those clubs are 'better' than Arsenal, but i don't think it is unrealistic for him to turn down a team that is not likely to be pushing for league and european success, the other sides would offer way more than Arsenal could/would too i imagine.

I'd actually disagree too an extent, I won't cover up the fact that I am indeed an Arsenal fan but I would never make the assumption that many clubs would go to war over the one player, it rarely happens. I'd also rule City and PSG out due to strict FFP, they both talk the big game about being above it but really they don't want to break the rules. I wouldn't rule United and Bayern out. I would rule out Madrid, Barca, Chelsea, Juventus and Monaco. I don't think he'd join Monaco or Juventus. He doesn't have the work ethic Mourinho demands, Madrid have Bale and Ronaldo on the wings, where else would he play and he simply does't fit into Barca. I'm not saying he would see Arsenal as the best place for him but I wouldn't rule them out, he's also spoken about his admiration for Arsenal and certain Arsenal players in the past, his idol of course being Rosicky but in the end I think he will go to Bayern (Robben and Ribery are getting old).

I'd actually disagree too an extent, I won't cover up the fact that I am indeed an Arsenal fan but I would never make the assumption that many clubs would go to war over the one player, it rarely happens. I'd also rule City and PSG out due to strict FFP, they both talk the big game about being above it but really they don't want to break the rules. I wouldn't rule United and Bayern out. I would rule out Madrid, Barca, Chelsea, Juventus and Monaco. I don't think he'd join Monaco or Juventus. He doesn't have the work ethic Mourinho demands, Madrid have Bale and Ronaldo on the wings, where else would he play and he simply does't fit into Barca. I'm not saying he would see Arsenal as the best place for him but I wouldn't rule them out, he's also spoken about his admiration for Arsenal and certain Arsenal players in the past, his idol of course being Rosicky but in the end I think he will go to Bayern (Robben and Ribery are getting old).

FFP is irrelevant to those clubs though as the fee is only 21million. The fee can easily be recouped in shirt sales and the sale of a couple of fringe players. Honestly, i regard him as one of the hottest properties in football, and will definitely be one of the best players over the next 5 years or so. All those clubs will definitely show interest/make a bid. Even if just to cause their rivals to have to pay more in wages/fee to the club.

I was the only club in for him as he was injured for 4 weeks. It's just that he didn't really want to come and I wasn't able to persuade him.

I think it's perfectly realistic to say that Reus wouldn't go to Arsenal as he's too good for them.
He's an absolute top player and if he moves it would probably be Real/Barca/Bayern/Chelsea level.

I think it's perfectly realistic to say that Reus wouldn't go to Arsenal as he's too good for them.
He's an absolute top player and if he moves it would probably be Real/Barca/Bayern/Chelsea level.

Nah, sorry. If Arsenal can attract Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez then they can attract Marco Reus.

Ozil and Sanchez were sold by Madrid and Barca, the situation is different. They were shown the door and THEN they choose Arsenal. Dortmund isn't selling Reus, so there is no reason he should want to move to Arsenal, given the fact that Dortmund were in the CL final just one year ago. I am sorry but Arsenal hasn't been challenging for titles at the national or european level for a long time.

Ozil and Sanchez were sold by Madrid and Barca, the situation is different. They were shown the door and THEN they choose Arsenal. Dortmund isn't selling Reus, so there is no reason he should want to move to Arsenal, given the fact that Dortmund were in the CL final just one year ago. I am sorry but Arsenal hasn't been challenging for titles at the national or european level for a long time.

Ozil wanted to leave. Ozil rejected PSG to join Arsenal. Monaco are in the Champions league for the first time in a decade and they don't have any world class players after shipping off James Rodriguez and Falcao. Arsenal are just as attractive as City, especially with ffp now if not more. City aren't really a step up. They aren't doing well in Europe and they are very close in terms of league standing. World class players usually force a move or are shown out of the door. Juventus and Liverpool wanted Alexis and we got him. Just because a player is shown the door doesn't mean that he joined the club because he had to. Who was the last world class player Juventus signed? Arsenal are splashing the cash and should be challenging for the league this season. We should be doing alot better in europe as well. So I disagree with the notion that we won't push fir European and league success. Do you thing that anyone at the club would settle for top 4?

I've seen Arsenal sign him in a save with 150k per week
I got him for 150k a week with arsenal as well. Ask rosicky to talk with him. He idolises him. I don't see why you would want him anyway. More often than not, he ends up on the bench due to the amount of attacking talent at Arsenal! Fitting Alexis, Ozil, Wilshere, Cazorla, Walcott, Reus, Podolski and Chamberlain in 3 attacking midfield spots is very hard. Fm 2015 doesn't have enough injuries to be realistic imo.

I think the point being made is Ozil and Sanchez left what can be deemed big clubs in the traditional sense.

Reus is not leaving a football powerhouse, in fact it could be argued a move from Dortmund to Arsenal is nothing more than a sideways step. If and when he moves it will be to the pinnacle of European football

Last edited:

Dortmund are in a worse position than Madrid and Barca were with those 2, they have no say in the matter if a bid breaks the clause they can't do anything about it and its a very low fee. You are correct that Arsenal haven't challenged for a title in a long time but what they have done is sell the best players they had to pay off debts the stadium had put them into and also qualify for the CL every season. The last 2 seasons Arsenal have signed 2 Top players not sold them and with regards to Dortmund the minute they reached that CL final we all knew it was sadly downhill after that, Gotze and Lewandowski out the door and they currently sit 4th bottom of the Bundesliga.

I the point being made is Ozil and Sanchez left what can be deemed big clubs on the traditional sense.

Reus is not leaving a football powerhouse, in fact it could be argued a move from Dortmund to Arsenal is nothing more than a sideways step. If and when he moves it will be to the pinnacle of European football

That's the point. You could say that going forward, Arsenal is a step up. Arsenal have a better reputation as well as being a financial powerhouse with a huge global fanbase. You could argue that we're only 1 or 2 signings from the pinnacle. To say that Arsenal can't compete is rediculous. The transfer is very possible in real life. Arsenal's situation is very similar to man united's in the sense on a one in a lifetime situation. Arsenal are the first very top team with outdated commercial revenue and stadium debt that cripples the club. The same as United losing Fergie and falling to 7th. I would say that Arsenal are one year away from the very pinnacle of European football albeit not unrealistic. Jurgen Klopp is doing what Arsene Wenger did in 1996, however with sugar daddy's and it's not very feasible as much as they put up a fight. Reus is easily buyable in Fm2014 anyway.

There shouldn't be any problems signing him for Arsenal. I managed to agree a contract with him as Liverpool, but cancelled the transfer as I felt there were other areas I should strengthen instead.

Got a release clause for £21m, absolute bargain. Problem is, he thinks Arsenal are beneath him and I tried to persuade him to come in a conversation but with no success. Firstly, this is pretty unrealistic because in real life I think Arsenal would have a good chance of signing Reus if they met his release clause (well done SI). Secondly, does anyone know the best way to talk him round to taking a chance on a small time club like Arsenal who are only the 5th most valuable football club in the world?

Don't talk to him, do the first up offer, I offered 100,00 p/w, ended up negotiating for 135,000

More to the point, I'm wondering what kind of not-so-bright researcher submitted a data set that contains a €25m release clause in Reus' contract. Vivacious imagination, there.

More to the point, I'm wondering what kind of not-so-bright researcher submitted a data set that contains a €25m release clause in Reus' contract. Vivacious imagination, there.

Rummenigge told the Media about Reus release clause. Dortmund have not denied that there is a release clause that high. Watzke also told the media that Reus has a release clause. The 25M € are most probably true.
But release clauses in the German DB are based on speculation. I personally believe the release clause is around 30M €.

Last edited:
Yeah, my point exactly. I'm struggling a bit to accept that there's pieces of data in the game based on, well, let's put it this way: Rummenigge is infamous for having the decency and mental capabilities of a heap of monkey ****.

Back