Which marking system do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ohembrough747

Reaction score
I currently manage Manchester United. I use man marking, and always have. However, when I see other peoples Manchester Untied tactics they always seem to have it set to "zonal marking", even though in real life we certainly don't use zonal marking.

Do you have any idea why this is the case?

What marking system do you use?

Why do you use your preferred option?

Does it change depending on the quality of your team?

What marking system do you use? ---- Zonal

Why do you use your preferred option? ---- More flexible for creating tactics, there isn't much point having man marking unless your playing a team with the same formation. eg. 442 vs 442

Does it change depending on the quality of your team? ---- I will always try and match up when playing a superior side and then use man marking... but i am a weaker side.

...I recommend creating a tactic and manually assignin certain roles/positions to man2man or zonal...

If you were manchester united which marking style would you use and why?

Doesn't really matter in all honesty. Even if the marking is set to zonal, players tend to mark men rather than space. Man marking merely breaks team's shape a tad more, but with the current match engine, the difference is minimal.

But in real life most teams in the premier league (bar liverpool) play with man marking don't they?

But in real life most teams in the premier league (bar liverpool) play with man marking don't they?

Quite the opposite, you won't find teams man marking anymore at the top level. It's all about keeping defensive shape and denying space from your opponent. Man marking is something Greece did back in 2004, or Bilbao against Barcelona this season. Very rare occurrence nowadays, unless you're watching lower leagues.

Of course teams Zonal Mark now- Sacchi's Milan in the early 90's showed that its much more effective than man marking.

But wasn't that why they always had a go at Rafa Benetez.....because he used zonal marking, or was that just for set pieces?

i use zonal marking if i want control of the game, but if the opponent is hard, then i switch to man marking, and concentrate more on defense.

But wasn't that why they always had a go at Rafa Benetez.....because he used zonal marking, or was that just for set pieces?

That's correct, they were criticising his use of zonal marking in set-pieces. If I'm not awfully mistaken, I think he also refused to place players to the goal posts during corners at some point.

That's correct, they were criticising his use of zonal marking in set-pieces. If I'm not awfully mistaken, I think he also refused to place players to the goal posts during corners at some point.

Always need men on the post- so many goals get let in because of that.

Always need men on the post- so many goals get let in because of that.

Yeah, I thought it was crazy. There are few managers out there who still persist not to do this, but I can't see it being beneficial compared to the traditional way of doing things.

Ps. Arsene Wenger also used zonal marking in set pieces past season, and we all know how ''well'' that worked out. ;)

Yeah, I thought it was crazy. There are few managers out there who still persist not to do this, but I can't see it being beneficial compared to the traditional way of doing things.

Ps. Arsene Wenger also used zonal marking in set pieces past season, and we all know how ''well'' that worked out. ;)

Well you will all be pleased to hear that despite doing well with Manchester United, wnining trphies and the league with over 95 points for the two seasons i've played for the third season I have compeltely changed my tactics and have opted for zonal marking :)

Wish me luck lol!