• Thread starter Thread starter cragswfc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 809
Status
Not open for further replies.

cragswfc

Reaction score
Ajax manager Martin Jol has ruled out a move to Fulham by confirming he will stay on with the Dutch club.

Jol had been strongly linked with a switch to Craven Cottage since former boss Roy Hodgson departed for Liverpool last month.

Former Tottenham boss Jol, who took over as Ajax manager last year, had at one point looked likely to join the Cottagers after it was reported he was keen on a return to the Premier League, and frustrated by financial constraints at the Amsterdam outfit.

But compensation talks at Ajax stalled, with the Eredivisie club intent on retaining the 54-year-old's services.

Staying

"Ajax let me know they didn't want me to go," Jol told the club's official website. "And I don't think I can bring myself to leave Ajax at this time.

"I came here last summer to be successful, to build a good team and to have fun.

"And those three things are what I am interested in achieving next season."

Jol added in De Telegraaf newspaper: "It was always my intention to build Ajax further.

"It is full speed ahead and we all need to roll up our sleeves. That is

essential."

The news is sure to strike a severe blow to Fulham, who will now have to look elsewhere for Hodgson's successor.

Ajax chief executive Rik van der Boog, who managed to persuade Jol to stay at the Dutch club, was astounded by how the speculation surrounding the manager's future spiralled in the way it did.

"I find the publicity almost laughable and I have wondered 'what is this about?'," Van der Boog told the Algemeen Dagblad newspaper.

"On the other hand, I understand it. It is Ajax.

"There was a club that wanted our coach. And they approached him at a time when he didn't have a lot of confidence in the squad.

Flattered
"The coach answered questions about it and was flattered by the attention - that I understand."

"But it's impossible (for Jol to go to Fulham).

"He is under contract with us and his relationship with the club is good

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6273939,00.html

On Thursday morning, following talks with Ajax, the Club can confirm that it has ceased negotiations for the release of Martin Jol from his contract with the Dutch Club.

Although Fulham had agreed personal terms with Martin Jol, Ajax were not willing to allow him to leave under any circumstances, and have held him to the terms of the contract he signed last summer.

When Fulham commenced negotiations with Martin Jol, the Club was informed that an exit clause existed in his contract with Ajax. Subsequent negotiations revealed that the clause was no longer valid and Ajax position remained steadfast in their desire to keep their manager, therefore dialogue between the two clubs has now ended.

Since Roy Hodgson indicated that he wanted to leave Fulham, a short list of potential managers was identified, and the Club is committed to ensuring that the right candidate is brought on board to continue the Club’s progress, in the soonest timeframe possible. The Chairman and CEO would also like to personally thank Ajax for their conduct throughout this very public process.

Ray Lewington will remain in charge of all First Team matters as caretaker manager and the Club would like to thank Ray, his backroom staff and all the players for their patience and professionalism ahead of the 2010/11 Barclays Premier League season.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/July/ClubStatement.aspx#ixzz0uPB5I7j2

Last edited:
fair play personly fulham would be a step down but ajax are in financial difficaulties.

****** me right off, I think Martin Jol has just used us to improve his situation at Ajax. Have no idea who we will appoint now but it probably won't be anyone half as good as Jol.

Well whoever comes in now to be Fulham manager knows they weren't the 1st choice, but Mark Hughes would be fantastic at the cottage.

I personally don't think Jol fits in the Fulham ethos. Fulham, in my opinion, is one the last teams that has been succesfully managed by an englishman. Let's keep it that way please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back