Mass Effect 3

I just hope they don't remove any more of the remaining "RPG elements" just to simplify the game. ME2 wasn't truly an RPG to begin with. The visuals were cranked up by making the active maps smaller. Hence, the many "indoor" levels in the Citadel instead of the wide and beautiful open-city look from the first game. Thus, I'd prefer it if they didn't try to increase visual details further at the cost of open-ended gameplay. It already feels linear enough as it is.

That said, it's a very good game indeed and I truly hope they don't just stop the series at 3.

ME2 is the closest thing to an RPG I've played recently actually. RPG's are not meant to all be about numbers, stats and dice rolls, that's just the wearisome path it ended up going down. It's about playing a role, and I can't think of a game I've played in the last 5 years that put me more in the role of the character than ME2.

*SPOILER WARNING*

As promised, the first Mass Effect 3 details have arrived in US retailer mag Game Informer.

According to the mag, BioWare's third and final sci-fi instalment kicks off with Shepard on Earth, facing trial for the events that occurred during the recently released Arrival DLC for Mass Effect 2.

In the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade, and it all kicks off. Mass Effect 3's prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and subsequent mission to yet again gather allies to battle the Reaper troops.

Confirmed squadmates from the GI article include Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if he's alive) and a man called James Sanders, who we're not familiar with. Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson will also appear in the game (if they're alive), but aren't confirmed as squadmates.

Mass Effect 3's set to include numerous endings, BioWare's confirmed, and just like the last game who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit will have a drastic effect on which ending you get.

The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role in the third game, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard for reasons unknown, says GI.

In the gameplay department, RPG elements are being beefed up for the third game, says BioWare, offering players more freedom with character skills. Skill trees are said to be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering players even more freedom.

Weapons are similar to those in Mass Effect 2, except mods make a return, allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and appearance.

All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. For example, only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once.

Finally, for those who've missed out on the series so far (shame on you) GI says Mass Effect 3 will feature a "previously on Mass Effect" comic to make decisions from scratch.

Good stuff. EA says to expect Mass Effect 3 this year. We'll hopefully have more for you soon.

News: Mass Effect 3: First details - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Last edited:
Might want to stick a spoiler warning on that Nathan, I didn't read very far in but seemed to be going that way (had seen similar looks stuff posted around elsewhere too).

I have kept my ME2 saved game (as I did not for ME1) I did not read much Nathan as it did seem like a bit of info, I did however get to how it started... from events happening from the latest DLC? thats a bit of *******.... not all of us play DLC.....

I have kept my ME2 saved game (as I did not for ME1) I did not read much Nathan as it did seem like a bit of info, I did however get to how it started... from events happening from the latest DLC? thats a bit of *******.... not all of us play DLC.....

I agree. I hate paying for DLC, most of it isn't worth the expenditure. Looks like i'm going to have to buy this one.

Can't wait for this though.

agreed Kris, I also just enjoy playing the initial game the way it was made....

Sometime in between now and September I'm going to buy all the ME2 DLC (hoping for a sale), and play through ME, then ME2 in preparation for 3. Recently got Bringing Down the Sky free thanks to someone I know having the GOTY edition ME.