Match Engine tips for you (What I notice)

• Thread starter Thread starter Lewganito
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 2K

Lewganito

Reaction score
To help you guys understand the match engine more because some of you don't. I am writing this so you can help change tactics in game to win and gain some draws from losing positions;
  • If Peter Crouch or any slow striker is latching onto a through ball and running through without anyone to catch up then your defensive line is way too high and needs to be taken down a few notches.
  • Just because you set your team to 'wide' doesn't mean you will be playing wide. Check the facilities screen for the team you are playing because if you are playing too wide then there is a possibility you are leaving too much space on the pitch to get passed around. It won't look like this on the match engine as it will look the same but if you notice your players not cutting out balls you think they should be then they are too far away from each other. Also goes the same the other way round, if you are too narrow you might find teams intercepting more. If they are playing too wide on a narrow pitch, I almost consider that my wingers starting position isn't even on the pitch. If that is the case then I am playing with 9 men... Would do well to win from that wouldn't I?
  • Always check the facilities of the club you are facing for pitch dimensions. Long narrow pitches might need you to play slightly wide and direct to get the ball up the pitch while short and fat pitches are better if you play short and narrow so each player gets the ball.
  • Set wingers to support if they aren't playing well. If you have too many attackers set to 'attack' then how are players going to work together? Too many attackers would mean that players would get themselves isolated and then overrun so setting players to support will give players the extra option for you to keep the ball.
  • Listen to the assistant. If he says you are misplacing passes then slow down the tempo.
  • Read the team report and see where and how teams are conceding goals. For example; If QPR have conceded more goals down their right side then select your best left sided player to exploit it and maybe even focus the passing down there for good effect. Equally check your own report and see where you are leaking the goals and look to try and make that better.
  • Use the team report to set your defensive line. If they have fast strikers then don't have a high line because that 'impossible through ball' will just keep happening. If you set your line right then they don't happen. Check to see what defenders they have too. You might benefit from using a nippy striker on their slow centre backs or one who has good dribbling. Trial and error for that.
  • Just because it looks like your player is taking bad long shots, doesn't mean they are. I have noticed my team scoring some goals from outside of the box with my eyes when it is of the belief they can be a lot closer. Same goes for when your fullback seems to be on his own and he heads the ball out for a corner when he doesn't need to. The players positions are possibly false to the eye and your player needs to clear the ball.
Just a few points as I am always in a hurry... If you guys have any other bits then feel free to put them down. Following these points will improve your fortunes greatly.

Last edited:
A few that occur to me:

· Not every chance you'd call clearly cut are counted as clear cut chances. I've seen players apparently alone versus the keeper and their shot wasn't counted in the ccc stat. I haven't had a serious glance on what is considered a ccc. Not every miss that is commented with a "should have scored" is counted as ccc either.

· A goalkeeper in a one on one will work with his positioning as well to cover as much goal as he can and look to reduce the angle the striker can shoot to get the goal. If the striker has nobody to give a final pass, anticipating a shot won't be that hard. If your striker misses much of them, maybe it's time to train him to round the keeper.

Yeah I have seen those in the past.

Crossing might not necessarily be crossing. It looks like the player is crossing but you will often find the goal was scored with a pass rather than a cross. Read the team report and see how the opposition are likely to score goals and if they concede from the left with passes and placed shots then you need to put a good passer in on the left and a striker with good positioning and train them to place shots.

listen to your assistants....... ive found that helps at critical stages....

I have a tip for if you are playing too narrow... If the opposition centre midfielder skins you on the wing in the match engine, then you are playing narrow leaving your wings exposed to potentially 4 players

I've found that 2 footed Strikers with good dribbling have been more effective for me in 1 Striker systems than 1 footed Strikers with good dribbling (its a small thing but can be effective as being 2 footed if they're decent players and get a goal scoring opportunity it doesn't matter which side the opportunity is on).

Back