• Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 3K

billymacca

Reaction score

LATICS SHOCK: MARTINEZ COLLAPSES
Wigan Athletic faithful anxious, 'hero' doctor praised after fan day tragedy

Murray Albrighton

Wigan, Greater Manchester

THERE IS UNIVERSAL CONCERN this evening for Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez, who today collapsed at a fan day for the club. The Spaniard and former Wigan player is believed to have suffered a brain aneurysm, and is in a critical condition.

Medical staff rushed to Martinez as he fell to the ground whilst talking with loyal fans at the club's annual pre-season fan day. Eyewitness reports tell that Martinez clutched his at forehead, before his expression went blank and he collapsed. Quick-thinking GP and Latics fan Dr Paul Hazelwood reacted first to the commotion, approaching Martinez and placing him in the recovery position, where he was quickly followed by club medical staff. Martinez was whisked by ambulance to the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary, where he has undergone emergency surgery, club sources confirmed.

Renowned Manchester neurosurgeon Dr David Kearney was called to perform the delicate operation, after brain scans revealed that Martinez suffered an acute brain aneurysm. Dr Kearney confirmed the surgery had been long and difficult, and although neural bleeding was stemmed, Martinez's condition is still grave.

"The bleeding has stopped, which is the first challenge, but we just don't know what damage there has been to his brain yet," Dr Kearney remarked. "He is in a medically induced coma, in which we will keep him to determine the extent of brain injury." The experienced surgeon commented that there was little way of knowing when any progress could be expected. "We just need to monitor his vitals, check a few other signs, and do plenty of scans. For now, all we can do is hope and pray."

Dr Kearney had high praise for the efforts of Dr Hazelwood at the scene. "Paul did a brilliant job of initial danger screening and diagnosis, he was the real hero today. He communicated to the paramedics exactly what was needed, meaning Mr Martinez could be immediately rushed to surgery, rather than spending valuable minutes being assessed." Dr Kearney added that Dr Hazelwood's efforts would be a vital part of Martinez's prospects of survival.

Football fans across Greater Manchester, and indeed in both England and Spain, held vigils for the popular Wigan manager as news of his condition filtered through this afternoon. A shrine has been set up outside the Latics' DW Stadium, where flowers, candles and Wigan Athletic apparel have been placed.

The club has made no official comment on the future of Martinez's position, though it is believed the players have been given time off training and offered counselling.

View attachment 235380
HOPE FOR MARTINEZ RECOVERY; FAMILY TENDERS RESIGNATION
Scans show encouraging signs but doctors urge long way to go

Jeremy Pilkington, Wigan

Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez is showing gradual signs of improvement, despite still being in a medically-induced coma, doctors revealed today. His family continue their bedside vigil, today also tendering the popular Spaniard's resignation as it became clear he would be unable to continue as manager, as he faces a lengthy recovery.

Neurosurgeon Dr David Kearney said that whilst there was real hope for Martinez's survival and rehabilitation, he was "most certainly not in the clear just yet." Dr Kearney revealed that whilst the swelling of Martinez's brain had reduced and all haemorrhaging had been stemmed, signs of permanent brain damage were inconclusive.

"We just don't know yet [whether there's permanent damage]. All we know is that, day by day, it's getting incrementally better." Dr Kearney said that Martinez would only be roused from his coma when his brain shows that it could support all his bodily functions independently, including breathing. Dr Kearney confirmed Martinez was on a ventilator, but assured that it was merely to take unnecessary stress off Martinez's brain.

Assistant manager Graeme Jones and chairman Dave Whelan today fronted the media outside the Royal Edward Albert Infirmary, where Martinez is being treated, to announce that Martinez's family had conceded he could no longer continue as manager.

"I can't express how concerned I am for Roberto and his family," a visibly shaken Whelan said. "His family told us he couldn't continue as manager, and so we have started looking for a replacement. Roberto will absolutely stay in everyone's thoughts and prayers, regardless of who is managing the team."

Graeme Jones was reserved when discussing Martinez's replacement. "I will support the club in finding it's new manager. The players need guidance and the club needs a good team man, someone who will unite us in this hour of need."

No-one has yet publicly put up their hand for the job, and club sources say there is genuine confusion as to who will replace Martinez at the helm.

Meanwhile, Latics players returned to training today, as fitness coach Graham Barrow led the team in a strenuous session. Captain Gary Caldwell revealed the players were in a much better state than when Martinez first collapsed. "We're really hopeful he'll pull through," the Latics hardman revealed. "We will have a new manager, but we will still be constantly willing Roberto to pull through."

---

I'm away over Easter but will be back writing come Monday :)

View attachment 237000
LATICS APPOINT INEXPERIENCED AUSSIE

Whelan : Former player 'tactically astute', can handle the Premier League

Jason Ryan
goal.com UK

The Wigan Athletic board have surprised the football world by today announcing a young Australian as manager. Will Macintosh, 27, is to be installed as fan favourite Roberto Martinez's successor on a two year deal, reportedly worth around £300,000 a season. Fans and pundits alike have responded with mixed feelings about the appointment, ranging from "interesting" to "ludicrious".

A promising young player, Macintosh plied his trade in Australia and the lower leagues in England before an horrific leg injury spelled the end of his playing career aged just 23. The Aussie undertook his UEFA coaching licence alongside his lengthy rehabilitation, and has since been employed in several consulting and coaching roles across the United Kingdom.
View attachment 236998
Whelan was excited at the press conference

Chairman Dave Whelan was keen to spruik Macintosh's appointment. "We've landed ourselves a smart young lad, with a good tactical mind," the wily businessmen commented. "We wanted to have a fresh mind at the club, to add on to what Roberto gave us." Whelan added that he believed that, whilst younger than some players in the squad, Macintosh could command the team. "I think the players will quickly learn to respect him; if I lost a match I should have won I wouldn't cross him," Whelan said with a wry smile.

Macintosh, who appeared alongside Whelan, said whilst he fully understood the challenge ahead of him, he was very excited. "I've always wanted to be a manager," Macintosh remarked. "I'm so pleased I've been chosen to manage Wigan. I firmly believe we can stay in the Premier League, and moreover, begin to challenge further up the table." The Aussie added that Europe, whilst a distant dream, might be a "bridge too far" this season. "But that is definitely the plan, within a couple of years."

Captain Gary Caldwell stated that he was happy with the appointment. "I think it'll give us a fresh direction," the Latics hardman stated. "Yeah, he's young, but I think he's certainly got what it takes to lead us to what we want to do." Assistant manager Graeme Jones echoed Caldwell's comments, adding that he didn't want the job, and would be "delighted to help [Macintosh] in every way to ensure we move our club forward."

View attachment 236999
The Wigan squad trained as normal today

Most pundits questioned the selection, but were willing to reserve judgment until Macintosh had shown what he's got. ESPN's Tommy Smyth stated that "I don't know what Whelan's up to, but I think he's on to something. Everyone laughed at him when he said he's take Wigan to the Premier League when he bought the club in 1995, so I certainly won't be laughing at him now. I think if Macintosh adapts quickly, we could see some results. Keep an eye on this one."

The club would not confirm or deny reports that transfer dealings were already afoot. When asked about Bologna and Uruguay starlet Gastón Ramirez, heavily linked with a loan deal to the club, Macintosh sported a wry smile and said, "just wait and see. We have a number of targets, so we'll all know soon enough."

View attachment 237081
LATICS TRANSFER WRAP:
MACINTOSH COMPLETES TRANSFER BONANZA
Inspired signings create real hope for a strong season

Brad de Guzman
WIGAN

Wigan Athletic manager Will Macintosh has completed several marvellous signings for the Greater Manchester club. From big-money signings to inspired loan deals, the Latics look as if the relegation battle will be fought below them – not with them.

Humberto Suazo | Striker
Nationality: Chilean | Club: Monterrey (Mexico) | Fee: £7,500,000 | Age: 30

View attachment 237072
Wigan fans will hope to see plenty of Suazo's trademark celebration this season

Highly technically gifted, Suazo gives Wigan a true deep-lying forward to complement Rodallega’s advanced poaching game. Wigan will look to their star strike duo to get the job done at the top of the park if they are to deliver on their mid-table finish promises. Could prove an expensive flop if he doesn’t deliver in the first season as he is now the wrong side of 30.

Gastón Ramirez | Left winger (loan)
Nationality: Uruguayan | Club: Bologna (Italy) | Loan Fee: £0 | Age: 20

View attachment 237073
Ramirez is talented, young and hungry

Ramirez gives Wigan all-round quality on the left. Naturally left-footed, with good acceleration, and a quality cross, shot, and tactical brain, the youngster is destined for greatness. His 5-star potential means that Ramirez will be delivering not only this season, but for many seasons to come. Could be the bedrock for the Wigan of the future; cheap as chips, so if he doesn't settle, then there is no financial burden.

Gabriel Araújo | Left back
Nationality: Brazilian | Club: Cruzeiro (Brazil) | Fee: £2,900,000 | Age: 19

View attachment 237074
The young Brazilian gives Wigan a real option at left back

Superb pickup from Macintosh: a young, balanced full back with bags of potential for a knock-down price. Won’t be first choice from the get-go, but should give Figueroa a big run for his money through the season. Should he make the starting team, this kid won’t disappoint – for a young lad, he’s already got the goods. Along with Ramirez, will be here to stay for a long time.

Negueba | Right winger (loan)
Nationality: Brazilian | Club: Flamengo (Brazil) | Loan Fee: £925,000 | Age: 19

View attachment 237075
The lanky kid with the big smile could prove a cult hit

This kid’s got decent potential and, whilst he won’t be getting a starting spot thanks to livewire Victor Moses, he’ll provide an adequate backup and useful alternative. Puts just enough pressure on Moses to retain the starting berth, and will gain useful experience. His ability to play in the centre as well as wide on the right may well sway the club into securing a permanent deal.

----------
View attachment 237082

FANS FUME AS GOMEZ SHOWED THE DOOR
Latics playmaker Jordi Gomez exits to Atalanta for £1m

By staff writers

Jordi Gomez has left Wigan with a minimum of fuss as the Spanish playmaker made the switch to Italian side Atalanta. Fans are furious at the treatment of the Spaniard, who was reportedly offered “no other option” but to sign for the Serie A side.

View attachment 237078
Jordi Gomez didn't make the mark most expected

Macintosh has defended the move, saying Gomez was facing an uphill battle for selection with several players pushing for his position. “I think Jordi made the right move,” the young Aussie said. “There are lots of players pushing for those central roles, and Jordi would have faced a battle. He’s a gifted player, and I’m sure his new club will love him.”

Pundits have not been quick to comment on the move, however Fox Sports’ Andy Harper believes it could be a good move. “In the end, it freed up the funds for Suazo and Co to come in, so I don’t think it’s a bad move,” the bald-headed idiot commented.

View attachment 237390

Pre-season report

NO GOALS CONCEDED AS LATICS CARVE UP
The team begins to gel as the goal tally grows

Murray Albrighton
Wigan, Greater Manchester

Wigan 1-0 Lens
Moses

An uninspiring performance from the Latics meant that the team laboured for the majority of the match. A well-taken poacher's effort from Victor Moses and a good defensive effort in the last 20 minutes sealed the deal.

Wigan 5-0 Yeovil
Piscu, Sammon (2), Maloney, Moses

The Latics were nervous in the first half and only managed a goal thanks to a powerful Piscu header. The second half was a different, however, with Wigan turning on the style and banging in four.

Wigan 7-0 Ballymena Utd
Gohouri, Dicko, Watson (2), McManaman, Thomas, Robinson

The Northern Irish side was no match for a rampant second-string Wigan team. A mixture of youth and experience smashed the men from Ulster running riot through swift passing and clinical finishing.

Wigan 3-0 Peterborough
Negueba, Watson, Rodallega

Another clinical display from Wigan, this time dismantling a determined Posh outfit. Several new signings were displayed and Negueba in particular impressed, bagging a goal and a delightful assist, thanks to a sparkling run down the right wing.

Wigan 3-0 Crewe
Sammon (2), McCarthy

More impressive stuff from the Tree and Crown as the team dismantled yet another lower league opposition. Striker Connor Sammon continues to impress, bagging his fourth goal in four appearances.

---

How am I going guys? Do you like the style? Let me know :)

Do we know what state Martinez is in? I know it's irrelevant and it's not real, but it would be nice to know.

The style's good. :)

“DID I HEAR WE’VE BOUGHT SUAZO?”
Martinez out of intensive care, continues miraculous recovery
By staff writers
FOR BBC NORTH

A buoyant Roberto Martinez has continued his rapid road to recovery today by interacting with reporters at Wigan’s Royal Albert Edward Infirmary. Since being roused from his medically induced coma, the former Wigan boss is “almost ready for discharge”, hospital sources say. Meanwhile, reports are circulating that Martinez could be in line to accept the vacant Wales national team job. Marinez was smiling as he answered various questions from a select group of journalists from his hospital room. “I feel great,” the jovial Spaniard expressed, “there’s no more injury to my brain. I should be out within days.”

View attachment 237884
Martinez did not allow pictures today - but was smiling

The former Wigan boss was quick to praise his successor, as well. “Will’s got the goods, I think. Obviously given I’ve been gone for a month I had to let go, but I’m very happy Will has been appointed. I certainly won’t be fit to work for quite a while.” When asked whether he’d keep control of his old club, Martinez was very confident. “Did I hear we’ve bought Suazo? I think that probably answers your question.”

Current manager Will Macintosh confirmed he was delighted to hear Martinez’s recovery was on track. “I’m so pleased! I spoke to him and his family recently and they were all delighted. Hopefully he’ll be out soon and as soon as he is, I’d love to see him back at the DW, cheering us on.”

View attachment 237895
WIGAN SEASON PREVIEW
The tactics, the key men and the key facts
Robbie Slater
FOXSPORTS.com.au

Will Macintosh has overseen a successful Wigan pre-season (albeit against weaker opposition), showing that the Latics have plenty of promise this season. Add to that some inspired signings, and a little tactical nous, and Wigan could well be up for a mid-table finish.

Tactics

Wigan will most likely opt for a 4-4-2, with two advanced wingers. This will allow Rodallega and Suazo to boss the line, with Moses and Ramirez keeping wide and providing quality balls in. Diamé will lock down the ball-winning spot in the centre, with McCarthy a central playmaker. The back four will pretty much pick themselves, with Figueroa and Boyce flanking the ever-present Alcaraz and Caldwell in the centre. Al-Habsi is a no-brainer between the sticks.
View attachment 237896
Wigan's relatively balanced main tactic could prove fruitful
I can see a backup 4-1-2-3 formation appearing where one of the strikers isn't available. Diamé will drop into the defensive midfield, and one of Watson or McArthur will step in beside (or just behind) McCarthy. Ramirez and Moses will likely be playing closer to the box, and of course the byline, should this tactic come up.
View attachment 237897
A solid backup which could crowd out opposition midfields
Generally, I think Wigan will attempt a high-tempo game which is advanced up the field. Suazo will drop deep to link with McCarthy through the centre, with Ramirez and Moses ably providing support and running on the wings. I expect Rodallega to drift around looking for space up front and near 'the hole'. Diamé won't do much more than link the defence with attack – he will be the fifth man in defence, and the backup man around the halfway line in attack.

Key men

Humberto Suazo and Hugo Rodallega are going to be the go-to men for goals. To put it simply, if these two don't fire, it'll just be another relegation battle for the Latics. Wigan have quality on the wings, but they need good finishing in the centre. They struggled to score for most of last season and will be desperate to find enough goals to stay up.

Mohammed Diamé will be the key to Wigan's defence. The reliable pairing of Alcaraz and Caldwell will be very important as well, but if Diamé snuffs out attacks and gets an early ball to McCarthy or the wingers, there could be a few goals.

Gastón Ramirez will have a bigger part to play than most expect. He'll need to provide an option wide because teams usually find it easier to close down the centre than the wings. He's got the quality, he just needs to consistently show it. The same goes for Victor Moses, a starlet in the making.
The young brigade

Macintosh has worked through the pre-season to bring in a sprinkling of youth on his ageing squad. McCarthy, Ramirez, Moses, Araújo and Negueba are all under 21 and could be stars in the future. At least three will find regularly find themselves on the first team sheet, giving a youthful exuberance to complement Caldwell and Co's experience.

View attachment 237959
RODALLEGA GIVES WIGAN PERFECT START
Solitary first half goal enough to kickstart Latics' season

Wigan Athletic 1 – 0 Swansea City
Rodallega (16')
Man of the Match: Maynor Figueroa (Wigan, 7.4)

The man whose name is synonymous with Wigan Athletic fired his club to a hard-fought 1-0 victory over newly-promoted Swansea. Hugo Rodallega's first half strike was enough to secure the three points for the perennial relegation candidates, despite a largely laboured and lacklustre performance from both sides.

A bright start for Swansea was in vain as Ramirez released Rodallega through the Swansea line, and the Columbian made no mistake, calmly slotting the finish under Swans 'keeper Michel Vorm. The goal spurred the south Wales club into action, and only an assured string of saves from Latics stopper Ali Al-Habsi prevented the Swans from levelling the match.
View attachment 237958
Rodallega delighted the away fans with a well-taken finish

Neither side produced much of note after the resumption, and as the second half wore on, Wigan's defensive resolve only grew. Figueroa's solid defensive show typified the Latics' display and he was awarded with the man of the match award for his industrious performance.

Player of the Season votes

Figueroa – 3; Rodallega – 2; Ramirez – 1.

Total: Figueroa – 3; Rodallega – 2; Ramirez – 1.

Back