Meeting to be held to discuss Rooney Rule in football leagues

• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 1K

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
A potentially historic meeting takes place in London on Tuesday designed to improve the long-term managerial prospects of respected former England internationals such as Sol Campbell, Des Walker and Andy Cole, as well as current stars such as Rio Ferdinand. Black players believe a glass ceiling exists in management, limiting their opportunities, and they are determined to break through it.
To facilitate this development, the Professional Footballers’ Association has invited the distinguished American lawyer, Cyrus Mehri, one of the driving forces behind the so-called Rooney Rule in the National Football League, to address the Football Association, Premier League, Football League and League Managers Association. Any man who draws inspiration from Bob Dylan and JFK is worth listening to. Mehri is certainly an eloquent and thought-filled speaker. Over coffee in Kensington on Monday, Mehri outlined why English football must change, including more black candidates in the managerial interviewing process, stressing the myriad benefits for all parties of adopting the Rooney Rule. If the FA, for example, agrees to the proposal it would mean a black candidate being invited to join the list of those applying to be Fabio Capello’s successor next year.

So for a moment forget Wayne Rooney. The Rooney Rule is named after Dan Rooney, the enlightened owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers who persuaded other NFL clubs to expand their interviewing process in 2003, offering at least a chance for black candidates to present their credentials. The issue of the lack of black head coaches in the NFL had been highlighted in a report that Mehri was involved with.

“When we started in 2002, there were one or two black head coaches of the 32 in the NFL,” said Mehri. “Now there are eight. That came about because of the [changed] interview process. The general managers at NFL clubs went from one to five.” This is no mere tokenism; success followed. The 2007 Super Bowl teams, Indianapolis Colts and Chicago Bears, had black head coaches (respectively Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith). “That was historic,’’ said Mehri. “I was very proud. That’s a message of hope and empowerment. The similarity in England now with the US 10 years ago is uncanny. I have no doubt the Rooney Rule can be a big success here. The numbers would go up dramatically. It should help that the Glazers, [Randy] Lerner and [Stan] Kroenke are owners here as they have a positive experience of the Rooney Rule.” He added that there is “an awareness here” that the rarity of black managers “is an embarrassing problem and something has to be done. My message to the Premier League is that if you want to be the best of the best, this professionalises your interviewing process.

“The Rooney Rule does not tell you who to hire. It just gets everybody to slow down, don’t put on blinkers, open their mind to a broad slate of candidates, including minority coaching candidates. Instead of taking two days to do the search, it might take two weeks. This Rooney Rule has also helped white coaching candidates who would have been overlooked. Rather than interview one candidate, teams interviewed 10.”

Tuesday’s meeting is sure to stir much debate. Pitfalls immediately present themselves. Certain chairmen in the Football League have admitted privately to their concerns of how their club’s fans would react to the installation of a black manager, although the consensus is that supporters are becoming more tolerant. The PFA is encouraged that the Football League is led by a chairman in Greg Clarke who has spoken out on the need for more diverse dugouts.

In the Premier League, the possibility of making the interviewing process more open would set alarm bells ringing in many boardrooms. Owners like the interview process to be conducted in secret. Often there is no shortlist as the owner has already targeted the successor before the incumbent is dismissed.

If anybody can convince the dysfunctional family of English football to unite on an issue then the charismatic Mehri has a chance. He has not become one of America’s best-known lawyers without taking on difficult cases, notably against Texaco, Coca-Cola and Morgan Stanley. He fought the corporations and won huge settlements for aggrieved employees.

The pursuit of justice has long been his life. Mehri’s parents immigrated to the United States from Persia (now Iran) after his mother was accused of making a critical comment about the Shah. “They wanted to live in a free country,’’ he recalled. “The Kennedy-era idealism was all in the household. That gave me my values.’’
Now Mehri has broken off briefly from fighting racial discrimination on Madison Avenue for a flying visit to London to help out the PFA. “I had to take this call from Gordon Taylor [PFA chief executive] ,’’ he added.
“This has the potential to create hope for a lot of young people. I kept thinking of the 16 year-olds [going into sports], watching prejudice playing out before their eyes. It’s like putting poison right through society. That demoralises. The Rooney Rule now sends a message. Sixteen-year-olds now have real hope for the future.’’

Those whose careers have just ended, like Cole, or will do sooner or later, like Ferdinand, could be the first black players in English football to benefit from the Rooney Rule. “This week we are going to start that path of changing that culture,” added Mehri. “We want to be a catalyst to open up the minds on all sides. We need to create hope that if you are a retired [black] player, you can rise up to the top, that the playing field will be level.”

When he walks in to face the power brokers of English football on Tuesday, Mehri will remember the lyrics to The Grain of Sand, one of his favourite Dylan songs. “It is about making the most of your moment in time, about using that grain of sand,’’ said Mehri. “I have been blessed with opportunities that I can be a catalyst for change.”
Ferdinand, Cole and company will hope Mehri succeeds.

(Article by Henry Winter) Football’s dysfunctional family must smash black managers’ glass ceiling - Telegraph

Right, I've read through this 5-6 times now, and this is my take. I applaud the idea of encouraging people from different backgrounds to be given a chance of management. Frankly, I couldn't care where they come from whatsoever. They could be from east-Asia, Africa, the middle east...I simply couldn't care less.

However, what I do object to, is someone being given an interview, because of the skin colour. Why should they be given priority because of that? Surely it's suitability over that? If for example, in a situation where Moyes left Everton at some point, and we got a manager based on nothing more than skin colour because of what was recommended, and was unsuitable for the role, I would be furious-isn't that a form of racism?. If they picked someone who was from east-Asia who was suitable, that would be wholly different. Does it mean that if someone who is white who is more than suitable for the role, will be placed down the pecking order of interviews because of his colour?

To force through something, that should meet an ethnic quota to satisfy people, is just wrong imo. It's bad enough when a government or workplace HAS to meet a quota. I'm happy that football is extremely diverse now, as it's a sign of progressing away from the dark days of football. Very happy. And though I would welcome more diversity in the management side, this is not the right way to go about it. It should always be suitability first.

Last edited:
I find it quite patronising to be honest, i would want to get the interview because they truly considered me good enough. In any case, it misses the bigger picture. there arent enough ethnic managers, because there arent enough ethnic coaches. If they want to increase diversity they should be looking at ways to get more ethnic minorites into the coaching system, through funding etc

What kind of mentally challenged person could think this is beneficial in any possible way? If anything it's a form of racism in itself.

And what do they expect? A sunday league manager getting interviewed by United to succeed Fergie just because he's black? You just show up at the doorstep and say 'hey I'm black, I want to manage your club'? Seriously, managers should be hired or even considered because of their ability, not because of their skin colour. As Mike said, if someone from an ethnic minority wants a job in management, they have to follow a few steps. And if they can't get a job in the prem, they should try to make a name for themselves in the lower divisions of the football league, like many others before them, regardless of the colour of their skin. Furthermore, if clubs were racist and were preventing ethnic minorities from getting jobs in management on purpose, this rule won't solve anything, either. You just have to interview minorities, not necessariliy hire them. One way or the other this won't help at all.

I find it quite patronising to be honest, i would want to get the interview because they truly considered me good enough. In any case, it misses the bigger picture. there arent enough ethnic managers, because there arent enough ethnic coaches. If they want to increase diversity they should be looking at ways to get more ethnic minorites into the coaching system, through funding etc

Totally agree. There aren't many quality ethnic minority managers because there aren't any ethnic minority coaches who could step up into the role. Simple, as CJACKO would say, as that.

I think the amount of ethnic minority coaches (and therefore managers) will grow organically over time as it is. Many of the experienced coaches now came from a time when ethnic minorities were extremely rare in the game: now, there are plenty. As these players grow older, retire, and some stay in football, the amount of ethnic minority coaches will grow.

Pointless rule, to be honest. There's no point wasting your time interviewing a black manager, just because he's black, if you're not going to hire him.

I agree basically with everything everyone's said so far on this thread; and personally I would rather be hired fairly due to my skill than hired because I'm an ethnic minority. It's pretty ironic, because this rule is racist and may reduce the number of black managers in England. If they really believe in a fair chance for everyone, then why choose to implement this rule? I hope the FA doesn't agree to this, although (sadly) they probably will.

If they want black managers (I don't see why they would specifically want black managers anyway) then they should increase the number of black coaches and offer coaching and managerial courses more. Not add this rule which will clearly (even in theory!) not work.

After seeing the speed Mike. plays FM, I know why there are a limited amount of black managers.

2 hours setting up a tactic. ******'ell.

I'm wondering if the FA will bow to this rule, mainly because of what Mr. Clegg was saying earlier on this morning, about not enough ethnic minorities in football management. I'm expecting some government leaning on the FA about this, when they are best served concentrating on more important things.

I'm wondering if the FA will bow to this rule, mainly because of what Mr. Clegg was saying earlier on this morning, about not enough ethnic minorities in football management. I'm expecting some government leaning on the FA about this, when they are best served concentrating on more important things.

They will have to. If they dont they will be branded as racists by the morons of today.

Surely choosing managers because they're from an ethic minority rather than because of their ability is a little counter productive. "Positive discrimination" should set alarm bells ringing in anyone's head, because you're still making a decision based on something as superficial as the colour of their skin, only this time it happens to favour the minority so it's ok.

It reminds me of a (3rd season?) South Park episode where Chef is outraged at the fact that there are black people being persecuted on the town flag, saying it's racist and it sets a bad example to the children. When he actually talks to the children, they don't see the people's ethnicities, they just see them as people.

Allow me to lend weight to the debate.

Firstly Mike I couldnt agree more with you, it is patronizing and infers that people of color need to be "Nannie'd" into jobs.

Being from South Africa I have seen similar systems implemented to increase the numbers of Colored people into sporting teams, management as well as stuff like Affirmative action to increase colored numbers in the work place. These systems are stupid and try to solve problems over night. I agree that there is a limited amount of non-white personnel in football but I disagree with the fact that the problem lies directly with racism. These systems serve to help no one. What a lot of people who try to implement this dont realise that in time as well as changing little things(Of course the system is not perfect) will see an increase. For instance in South Africa, 80% of the population is black, the sporting teams will not remain white forever because the talent pool will become increasly black, its not racism or segregation of either color, its a statistical probability.

The next thing to remember is that the last generation (guys like Cole, Yorke) were probably the first big wave of black players in English football that left long legacy and werent racially abused (not to my knowledge, correct if im wrong). Acceptance of black players in football took far to long, but the game is changing in England and is getting there faster then countries like Russia, Spain and Italy. The next 10 years I believe we will see more black managers and coaching staff appear, because more and more are being accepted as players first into the footballing world. Change does happen, it just takes time and some people just dont know how to wait.

I think they should interview at least one woman, one gay, one Norwegian, one Englishman, a mentally handicapped person, two physically handicapped and three midgets. Oh, no Scots. We've taken all the EPL derbs.

Back