can someone help me understand how to do it properly?

tbh im not cetain either but what i do is this.Firstly i promote the youngsters with the best potential from the reserves and youth squad to the senior squad.I then create a mentoring group which includes those promoted players plus any experienced first team players with high determination or good character(ie resolute,professional etc).Hope that helps a little!

tbh im not cetain either but what i do is this.Firstly i promote the youngsters with the best potential from the reserves and youth squad to the senior squad.I then create a mentoring group which includes those promoted players plus any experienced first team players with high determination or good character(ie resolute,professional etc).Hope that helps a little!

See that's the what I've been doing. Do you think it matters what position they play in?

See that's the what I've been doing. Do you think it matters what position they play in?
Yes I think it does.

The mentoring groups now influence in a more general way than the 'old' one-on-one tutoring. I tend to try and group the players around certain styles/roles/ etc. Creative players together, defensive 'hard-men' etc.

i literally put all my defensive minded players in 1 group attacking minded in another group i prefer the old way tbh

The unit that the players in matters when it comes to mentoring. Attacking players will train more with other attacking players, and same for defensive players. So a senior player from one unit mentoring young players from the other is going to be less effective, because they literally spend less time together in training.