Midfield and Striker roles in 4-2-3-1

michelb86

Reaction score
With every tactic in FM that I'm trying to make I am struggling with the midfield and attacking roles.
I love to play the 4-2-3-1 tactic, but it just seems there is no fit between the upper four (AML, AMR, AMC, SC). Despite I'm winning, the midfield trio have very average ratings.

What I would like to see is more crosses from the wing (I'd like to see the backs go forward, but they don't do that often) and more cut through passed from the AMC playmaker. The poacher scores quite often, but because of the lower rates of the rest do I think a better set up is possible.

Based on the matches I watched it is because I think the AML and AMC are quite playing in the same area, and if the AML is going forward he is in the same area as the SC. But the AML don't really have the skills to play as a winger either.

What do I need to change to get higher ratings out of these guys?

Currently I'm playing with Dortmund in this tactic:
Control - Fluid - Team instructions: Balanced & Pass into space

TIFDTAB.jpg

Getting the best out of the No.10 role has always been an issue for me since FM11. But in your set-up, if you put Gotze in a Support role with licence to play More Risky Passes and Killer Balls Often he can feed the attacking runs of Schurrle and keep out of Aubameyang's way. I'd have Dembele Aim Crosses to Far Post, because with Schurrle on Attack duty, he should be sniffing around to apply the finish. I imagine whipped crosses would be better for him.

There's no defensive influence in your midfield and neither of your two central midfielders is operating in his preferred position, role and duty. I'd want a Ball-Winning Midfielder in there, probably alongside a Deep-Lying Playmaker with the PPM of Switch Ball to Opposite Flank Often.

You want to Retain Possession and have your goalkeeper roll the ball out from the back to your full backs. I think the Pass Into Space option works for counter attacking football, but if you intend to dominate the ball then pass to feet. You have the team operating with a Fluid mentality, which I imagine suits these players, but maybe instruct one or two of them to Hold Position so others move around them but they maintain the basic team shape. If you manage to dominate possession with passes to feet, that will give your full backs more time to push forward and join in the attack.