Mike Basset - West Bromwich Albion!

Mike Basset

Reaction score
'Ello lads! My name is Mike Basset, and you may remember me from such gems in my career as taking England to the 2002 World Cup! However, after unsuccessful spells at Newcastle and Wirral County I took at four year sabbatical in Spain! Sun, sea and sand.
Anyway, I returned to England and am very lucky to have been offered the newly vacant West Brom job as Woy has gone to win the Euwos.
View attachment 251839 Don't I look pretteh?

Enough of this chitter-chatter! Let's focus on the football! I sat down and 'ad a long, hard look at the squad under my disposal. Then they asked me why I was staring at them.

For my tactics, I am going to go for a simple and rigid 4-4-2 formation, playing a counter-attacking, short-passing style looking to play with a strong midfield as we will be underdogs in a lot of our fixtures. I told the Board that we should be able to finish in the top half.
View attachment 251840And so with this formation we led our team out to begin our Friendly campaign for the season, against our own Reserves. A dominant 4-0 win! With goals from Odemwingie, Graham Dorrans and two from target man Shane Long!

A good start, and I began to focus on our transfers for the season:

DM Modeste M'Bami - £500k from A'erbin
ST Danny Welbeck - Loan £1m from Man Utd
CM/CAM Felipe Anderson - Loan £500k from Santos.
Always good to have a little South American in the team - that's how Barcelona get by, isn't it?

Two more unknown signings:

CB Johnny Magallón - £3.4m from Chivas
ST Amr Zaki - £1.9m from Zamalek.

My job was also to clear some of the deadwood from this club, and there was lots of deadwood:

CAM Somen Tchoyi - £2.3m to Parma
CB Gabriel Tamas - £3.1m to Espanyol
ST Simon *** - £3.6m to Everton

My transfers done, and preseason finished:
View attachment 251842

I guess it's time to start the season! :D

Love the idea mate, I'm a big fan of the Mike Basset film and series and I'm glad he's being carried on in spirit :P :)

Not signed Benson & Hedges yet ?
Nice idea ..will follow this story

You'll be glad to hear I've switched to du Maurier - much more chance of him being a Brazilian!

Last edited:
Start of the Season! August

Gary Wackett has agreed to come in as my new Assistant Manager - hopefully he can lead the lads out with some of his famed "passionate" team talks!!

View attachment 252147Only real tricky fixture there looks like Man City, though I suppose Villa on their day can throw up some surprises. Anyway, enough tittle-tattle!

For the first match of the season, West Brom will be playing Four-Four-*******-Two. ;)

-----------------------------Ben Foster--------------------------------
Steven Reid----Jonas Olsson----Craig Dawson----Nicky Shorey
James Morrisson----Youssef Mulumbu----Graham Dorrans----Chris Brunt
-----------------------Shane Long----Danny Welbeck-----------------------

And one in Pentonville!

View attachment 252142
West Brom 3-1 Wolves
Wanderers crushed as Bassett takes charge
Shane Long 13', 38'
Peter Odemwingie 80'

What a performance to start the season! A good, solid win against our heated rivals in the derby, all guns firing as Long bags himself a well-taken brace. They had no answer for us in possession or taking chances, an utter domination. Danny Welbeck had a disappointing game and was substituted for Peter Odemwingie, who then scored, but I'm sure he will improve with time.

Onto the Etihad!

View attachment 252146
Man City 3-1 West Brom
Baggies brought down to earth with a bump

Shane Long 72'

Oh well. We had a go, and that's all I can do, really isn't it? I thought we played quite well, but were simply outclassed by the bathing-in-money Blues. Tevez with two and Aguero with a magnificent individual goal. Hopefully we can bounce back against Sheffield United in the League Cup 2nd Round.

View attachment 252154
West Brom 3-0 Sheff Utd
Welbeck on form in Albion victory
Jerome Thomas 37'
Danny Welbeck 56' 67'

Back on form boys! Sheffield had no chance in this game, and didn't I tell you Danny would find form? Listen to Mike!!!! Two very good goals pushing Odemwingie out of the team again, and another good show by Long, although he didn't find the net on this occasion. Let's progress to our final game in August, against Aston Villa, who have had a slow start to the League, losing their first two games.

View attachment 252159
West Brom 3-0 Aston Villa
West Brom hit three as Villans sunk
Craig Dawson 23'
Danny Welbeck 26', 46'

Hit three for the second week running! A lovely way to cap off the month and Danny Welbeck continues his form. If he keeps scoring like this I might try and sign him permanently..though obviously that is very unlikely. Anyway, this proves my corner tactics are working, as young centre back Craig Dawson gets his first goal. He looks to become a regular first teamer which is almost a shame as it means I may have wasted £3.4m on Johnny Magallón as a benchwarmer. ****.

See ya next time lads - and remember, as my father once said: "Walk with kings" You see, he was kind of a father figure to me...

Back