MLS Draft?

• Thread starter Thread starter MellonOS
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 13K

MellonOS

Reaction score
I have stared a save with an MLS team and I see that you can add draft picks in transfers.. I am wondering if there is actually a draft in FM that you do. If not.. wouldn't that just add value to your transfers without any loss?

I think the fact that you have draft picks and can trade them would suggest that there is a draft

I haven't been in the MLS for a long time but I do believe there is a draft.

there are, in fact, three separate drafts for the MLS in FM. the first one you will encounter is the waiver draft. Here all players who are not registered by teams are placed in a draft pool. the draft is two rounds. you do not have to participate in this draft, but know that is you pass on your first round pick you cannot chose a player in the second round. This is a good way of getting starter or backup caliber players without having to negotiate a contract, if you chose a player the contract that they had with their previous team is transferred over to you.

The next draft is the MLS SuperDraft. This is the draft with the best quality young players. It is 4 rounds and you can trade picks for players or money, etc. The best players can be found in rounds 1 or 2. A common strategy is to try and stockplile picks in these rounds.

the final draft is called the supplemental draft. this is another draft of young players that are fringe or project players. they probably will not ever impact your team, but if they develop properly you can profit off of them.

hope this helped, if i missed something or you have any other questions feel free to ask.

i'm playing fm12 and i am at the mls draft screen. i have the eighth pick. i click on "see next pick" and nothing happens. the news home screen has the draft as a "must respond" option. i don't know how to advance it until my selection. any help would be very much appreciated! happy holidays!

i'm playing fm12 and i am at the mls draft screen. i have the eighth pick. i click on "see next pick" and nothing happens. the news home screen has the draft as a "must respond" option. i don't know how to advance it until my selection. any help would be very much appreciated! happy holidays!

if you keep clicking on see next pick then it makes teh next team automatically choose who they want or whether they want to waive the choice and no longer take part in the draft.

the only reason clicking this would do nothing is if it was your turn to pick at which point you either need to choose one of teh players or decide that you don't want any of tehm and waive all further picks.

I'm an American so I've played an MLS save with about 8 different teams haha.

There is a Superdraft in early January with all of the great young talent. Then there is a supplemental draft where you can draft any additional players who weren't picked in the Superdraft. Then in march, there is a waiver draft where you can pick up players who were dropped by other teams in the league. If you wheel and deal correctly, you could end up with multiple picks in the first round of the Superdraft, which is a good way to get fantastic young talent for cheap. Watch for the Generation Adidas players, because they are considered the best of the draft class. I dont find the supplemental draft useful, because those are the leftover young players that lack any real quality, so I generally trade those picks away. Save your Superdraft picks though, because those really help build your team since there is no youth recruitment system in the MLS.

The supplemental draft is gold if you're playing as Toronto FC or Vancouver because you can pick up more Canadians just in case you're struggling finding national talent that is willing to play for you

Back