MLS leagues and transfer policys.

xXjohnhibsXx

Reaction score
Hello i've recently started a game were i went unemployed and tried to win as many trophies as i can. I was approach by New England Revolution in the MLS eastern conference and when it came to the league and transfers i found it very confusing and didnt know what half of it meant. So i was hoping you guys could in lighten me on this matter. :) Thank you.

MLS is kinda a cross over between how NFL, NBA and MLB do their trading/transfers and how the rest of the football world do theirs.

An American on here might be your best bet for clarification. I might try to do an MLS league some day and see how it goes. But above is pretty much what I've gathered.

in the MLS, the clubs don't own the contracts of the players either. The MLS does.

Well im american perhaps i can shed some light on this instead of a transfer budget you have a "allocation fund" baiscly its the same thing also that only applies to players that play for other teams in america any one you get on the free or from abroad are normal like anything else
EASTERN AND WESTERN CONFERENCE

basicly the top 4 teams from each conference get into the playoffs just like a cup the winner of the playoff wins the league

ps you can pick guti up on the free with them he signed for me hes a beast in mls​

I've just finished my first season in the MLS as Chicago, winning the MLS, LA won the Supporters Shield, though. ):

I've also read plinie's guide, it's alright but some rules have changed. The main things I've found are:

Drafts suck.. Like they just suck. The players are terrible and you usually have to pick 18th [if you do well] so you get stuck with the absolutely terrible players.. Get rid of your draft picks if you can, players are better.

Trading between MLS teams is the way forward, don't waste your time trying to sign Guti for £30,000 when you can get good MLS players. You sign players by swapping draft picks, international slots, player exchange, and by spending you allocation fund.

If you want to sell a player use the "Offer to MLS clubs" option, it's awesome and you get the deals done the same day.

If you do sign a designated player, remember that £4,000 from their wage goes towards your salary cap.

The salary cap increases every year, first year I think it's around £32,000 p/w, take notice of that, it's the most important ruling!

You have a set amount of international slots, it's between 5 and 10, so sign as many Americans as you can.

GA, AA, & Dev players don't count towards the salary cap so sign as many them as you want without worry.

And, you can sign scouts.

In the league the top three qualify of each conference for the MLS cup, then 4 other clubs qualify for a wildcard play-off, to qualify for the MLS Cup.

There are 3 major trophies: Supporter's Shield [Club with most points across the two leagues], MLS Cup [Basically the Superbowl], US Open Cup [Some crappy cup that nobody cares about].

There is more I could say but I CBA and half the fun is finding out all the wonders of the MLS for yourself!

I have also taken over at New England, and have one question: There is a salary cap, but is there actually a wage budget set by the board? Because I can't find one. So say I did sign Guti for £30k, only £4k would go towards the salary cap, but you still have to pay £30k.

There is no wage budget just a salary cap and yes if you signed Guti for £30k you would have to pay that amount but only £4k goes towards the salary cap.

I have also taken over at New England, and have one question: There is a salary cap, but is there actually a wage budget set by the board? Because I can't find one. So say I did sign Guti for £30k, only £4k would go towards the salary cap, but you still have to pay £30k.

Yes, of course there is a wage budget. Mine is £200,000 p/w with LA Galaxy, despite the salary cap only being £35,500.

You can find yours by going to View Club > Boardroom > Finances > Salary

quick word of warning for anyone planning on playing with either vancouver or toronto, it's best to load up all canadian players into your database because they have to have lots of canadians instead of lots of americans.

Thanks guys for all your comments i think i understand everything that people said. By the way i finished the season, i had most points over all the other teams (even though i took New England over when they were 5th) i did get to the final of the MLS but sadly lost 2-1 to Los Angeles. Hopefully i can win it this year. :)

I've just finished my first season in the MLS as Chicago, winning the MLS, LA won the Supporters Shield, though. ):

I've also read plinie's guide, it's alright but some rules have changed. The main things I've found are:

Drafts suck.. Like they just suck. The players are terrible and you usually have to pick 18th [if you do well] so you get stuck with the absolutely terrible players.. Get rid of your draft picks if you can, players are better.

Trading between MLS teams is the way forward, don't waste your time trying to sign Guti for £30,000 when you can get good MLS players. You sign players by swapping draft picks, international slots, player exchange, and by spending you allocation fund.

If you want to sell a player use the "Offer to MLS clubs" option, it's awesome and you get the deals done the same day.

If you do sign a designated player, remember that £4,000 from their wage goes towards your salary cap.

The salary cap increases every year, first year I think it's around £32,000 p/w, take notice of that, it's the most important ruling!

You have a set amount of international slots, it's between 5 and 10, so sign as many Americans as you can.

GA, AA, & Dev players don't count towards the salary cap so sign as many them as you want without worry.

And, you can sign scouts.

In the league the top three qualify of each conference for the MLS cup, then 4 other clubs qualify for a wildcard play-off, to qualify for the MLS Cup.

There are 3 major trophies: Supporter's Shield [Club with most points across the two leagues], MLS Cup [Basically the Superbowl], US Open Cup [Some crappy cup that nobody cares about].

There is more I could say but I CBA and half the fun is finding out all the wonders of the MLS for yourself!

Thats a good summary of the rules of the MLS but I would just like to add one more things to the competitions. You can't forget the Canadian Championship. Its very important if you are playing as Vancouver or Toronto (and Montreal next year) since winning the tournament is the only way for a Canadian team to qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League.

I won NACL and MLS second season with Vancouver. 5 games into 3rd season and still haven't received any allocation fund, why?

Back