Reaction score
I'm trying to edit the MLS into a league that makes some kind of sense, but I haven't the faintest idea what I'm doing. Basically what I want to do is a) institute a promotion/relegation system b) get rid of the salary cap and sort out the other financial weirdness c) ditch playoffs and make the league single-table. Those are the main things I'd like to deal with, but if there are other ideas I'd certainly listen. The issue is that I have no idea how to do any of it, so help/advice is greatly appreciated.

The first thing you will do is edit the nation rules for USA, and you want to start from scratch. Once you start fresh, the editor creates a league in the European style. This will erase the draft, salary caps, foreign players rules, and everything else in that league. (I'm from America and I don't even understand the MLS rules).

Next you will have to add the lower leagues. Once they are in place you can chose the number of promotions and relegations.
Then you add the cups.

I did an MLS edit before, I kept the playoffs, but otherwise it was like a European league financially. One problem I had was with regens. I suspect it had to do with the way American regens come through the draft, but in my game every club's youth team was almost entirely grayed-out players aged 23, and the few real players were also 23 years old with terrible stats.

Also, in the editor under Countries - USA, you should probably make a change so that the sport is considered more significant. I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but it can't hurt to make people actually care.

Awesome, thanks a lot. One more question: will it automatically connect the league I've created to the North American Champions League, or is there something I have to do to make that happen?

If the MLS is connected to the Champions League without editting, you shouldn't have a problem.

Yes. Continental tournaments go by country and not by league, as far as I'm aware.

Looks like it's worked, I just simulated a season and all the promotions and relegations appeared to work, and the right teams appear to have qualified for the NACL. Thanks for the help, all.

Okay, so I just ran a two-year simulation on this monstrosity that I've created and it mostly works well, aside from a problem I ran into in the second season. The first one appears to have had everyone promoted/relegated/qualified properly, but in the second year my Champions League qualifications were screwy. The top 4 teams in the league are meant to qualify (unless the US Open Cup winner is not one of them, then it's top 3 and the Cup winner), but instead what happened was 1, 2, 5, and 6 qualified, and left out the 3rd and 4th placed teams (RBNY finished 2nd and won the Cup, so I don't think that's the cause). I think it might be linked to nationalities - the 3rd placed team was Vancouver, and Toronto placed 4th. I looked at them in the editor, though, and they're both set as American teams.Any ideas what's going on, and how I can fix it?

Okay, so I just ran a two-year simulation on this monstrosity that I've created and it mostly works well, aside from a problem I ran into in the second season. The first one appears to have had everyone promoted/relegated/qualified properly, but in the second year my Champions League qualifications were screwy. The top 4 teams in the league are meant to qualify (unless the US Open Cup winner is not one of them, then it's top 3 and the Cup winner), but instead what happened was 1, 2, 5, and 6 qualified, and left out the 3rd and 4th placed teams (RBNY finished 2nd and won the Cup, so I don't think that's the cause). I think it might be linked to nationalities - the 3rd placed team was Vancouver, and Toronto placed 4th. I looked at them in the editor, though, and they're both set as American teams.Any ideas what's going on, and how I can fix it?

i think it's hardcoded that the canadian teams can't qualify through the league but only through the canadian championship thing that's in continental rules, in a similar way to how vaduz of liechtenstein can't qualify for teh champions league via the swiss league system.

So I guess then the only way to fix it would be to delete and re-make all of the Canadian teams? Not worth it.

So I guess then the only way to fix it would be to delete and re-make all of the Canadian teams? Not worth it.

or take the canadian teams out of teh american system and create a canadian system for them and the other canadian teams that are set as canadian and the other ones lower down the american pyramid.

Back