wjackson24

Reaction score

The Modern Day Catenaccio

An ideology concocted by Karl Rappen in Switzerland and embraced in Italy, Catenaccio translates to ‘door-bolt’ and is a system which relies heavily on defence, including playing with a sweeper who’s positioned in a line of three defenders. The sweeper’s role was to recover loose balls, nullify the opponent’s striker and double-mark when necessary.

Catenaccio was the catalyst for Helenio Herrera’s Inter side, which dominated during the 60’s. Although Herrera’s side were primarily known for their defensive strengths, they were equally renowned for their ability to score goals with minimal touches from electric, sudden counter attacks.

This pure Catenaccio which Herrera implemented is hardly used in modern football tactics, and the sweeper rarely employed. However, during recent times Catenaccio has been executed successfully. Trapattoni managing Benfica back in 2005 secured the Portuguese Liga title employing Catenaccio and underdogs Greece shocked by winning the UEFA Euro 2004 with a similarly defensive approach.

Due to total football, pure catenaccio has no place in modern football. This has led to the creation of my “Modern Day Catenaccio”, taking key elements of Herrera’s side. The system was developed, tried and tested with the team where is started, Inter Milan. The tactic focuses around organised defending and quick transitions to goal scoring opportunities. Focusing on quick transitions however sacrifices possession, so don’t expect to dominate pro longed periods of the game whilst using this tactic.

The system has three shapes, with the primary shape below.

View attachment 86610
View attachment 86607

This shape reeks of Herrera’s influences on Catenaccio in the 60’s at Inter. The biggest shock that may strike you is that the sweeper position isn’t used. I experimented plenty with this and just could not get it working, I found instead playing a back 3 with the most central defender set to DCB and cover duty. This emulated a sweeper and obtained much better results. He’ll be the free man, ensuring the team avoids attacking overloads and to sweep up through balls behind the line.

For a standard match, we don’t use many team instructions. Obviously, we’re structured in our shape to adopt the highly organised, defensive structure of Herrera’s Inter side. A higher tempo will ensure transitions from defence and attack is quick. A standard defensive line is adopted as a starting point, from there the team can drop deeper if they are struggling to contain through balls and quick strikers. They can push up higher against weaker sides to help ball retention and pin the opposition in their own half. Tighter marking is set, as this typifies Italy’s art of defence and almost emulates Catenaccio’s man marking style.

During the build-up, we’re instructing to clear any contesting balls to the flanks. In a bid to either seek the LAM or the STC out wide. I chose this as we had Icardi up top, who struggled to compete in the air against large CB’s, he stood more of a chance drifting wide and competing in aerial duels against the full backs. Passing in to space is an absolute must to ensure we give our pacey forwards through balls to latch on to. This encourages a counter attacking mentality which couples well with the defensive structure.

The forwards and midfield are given a license to be more expressive in the build-up and act outside the confines of the structured mentality when necessary. This is essential against teams who are defending deep, narrow and are hard to break down.

In attack, I usually don’t give any instructions. If the opposing team is pressing very high, early crosses can be selected so that the striker can exploit the space.

Position and Players

GK: A good shot stopper, decent distribution isn’t necessary but good kicking is a bonus to launch those defence splitting long balls for the strikers to attack.

RCB: A stopper, to step beyond the defensive line to close down left wingers exploiting any space vacated by our right winger. Good anticipation, decisions and acceleration. Player instructions: Close down more

DCB: A sweeper, to cover any through balls and to step out to cause 2 v 1 situations. A brave player with good concentration is well suited here.

LCB: Ball playing defender to launch long ball up to the strikers. Good passing and vision is required, as well as being competent in defence.

LWB: Pacey wing back, able to bomb up and down the left flank, adept in the art of attack and defence. Being able to use either foot is ideal, to allow the CWB to become an Inverted WB, to replicate the goal scoring LWB Facchetti for Herrera’s Inter side. Good long shot taking ability is a bonus, to allow the player to cut into space in front of defence and then rifle a long shot in.

CDM: A deep creative influence, who’s able to cover the defence and able to get forward to support attacks. Good positioning, passing and vision is required.

RW: Much like Jair did in the 60’s for Inter, this defensive winger has the license to roam the right flank. He gets further forward than the LWB to influence attacks and whip in crosses for the forwards to attack. Obviously, a good crosser will excel in this position, as well as having good positioning, stamina and pace.

CM: The destroyer in midfield. He’ll be required to drop back when defending and to close down the opposition, whilst the CDM covers the gaps. He’ll need to be aggressive and willing to work hard for the team. Having a strong physical presence would be desirable. He’ll also look to get forward whilst attacking, either making late runs into the box, loitering outside the box to recycle the ball or quickly close down when the ball is lost. Whilst playing away or more defensively, the BWM with support duty can become BWM with defend duty.

CAM: Another creative influence/ sprinter, looking to link the midfield and attack and drive the team forward, as well as getting in the box to finish moves. He’ll need to be fast, technically astute and hard working. He’ll drive wide to support moves on the right flank and look to quickly close down high up the pitch when a turnover of play occurs. Player instructions: Close down more, get further forward, move in to channels

LAM: An inside forward to cut in to the box to act as a second striker. He’ll be primarily influencing the end of attacks rather than participating in the build-up. He’ll look to drive at the oppositions defence when on the counter, giving the striker an option to pass to or threading through a final ball to the striker himself. A tall, strong forward will give greater options for the long balls up the forwards from defense. He needs to be a decent dribbler and finisher.

STC: An out and out striker, looking to finish any passes he receives. He needs to be pacey to latch on the long through balls, as well as efficient in front of goal with good finishing and composure.

Other Shapes in the System

I’m a firm believer that the same tactic over the course of a season will not work. A surprise change in shape can have great impacts against a side who’s not expecting it. Here’s the other 2 shapes we trained in the system.

View attachment 86609
View attachment 86606
A slightly more defensive shape, where the midfield destroyer manifests as an anchorman and drops deeper than the creative regista. The CAM drops into midfield and takes up a slightly more creative role. The left inside forward plays much narrower, acting as a number 10. The LWB has more license to get forward to exploit the space vacated by left winger who’s dropped narrower. Player Instructions: Right CB: Close down more

Finally, the last shape.

View attachment 86608
View attachment 86605
The most attacking shape in the system, which can be tinkered with. I choose the above shape, unless we’re against a weaker side playing with a lone striker. In these circumstances, the BPD pushes into the defensive midfield and becomes a half back. The wing backs can become defensive wingers when pushing for a goal. This tactic gives the system an option to dominate possession and control the game. Player Instructions: CAM: Move in to channels

I’ve had success using this system over a course of a season and a half at Inter Milan. Although, just like in the real world these tactics will not work in every game. Every game is different and needs responses to certain situations. Don’t be afraid to tinker with the instructions when things aren’t going to plan.

EDIT: As requested by feedback, here are the results I obtained using the system.

View attachment 86595 View attachment 86594

I'd appreciate any feedback on this tactic and post!

This tactic has also been posted on https://catenacciofootballblog.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
Haha, wow. These are some wonderfully asymmetric shapes and I love it! You're really using every availible role in the game. Its rare to see a tactic with a regista or an anchorman but you're giving us both!

Gonna give this a go!

Excellent OP as well. Great stuff

Only two things I would like:

1. A download link
2. Some screens of your results

And again, a loooooong OP from a blog but no results ...

Cheers for the feedback.

Yeah I'm usually boring and go for standard shapes, but I thought I'd mix it up with some asymmetry!

I've added the results and I'll work on the download link.

Let me know how you get on with it!

i have 2 questions:

1- can we have a downloadlink?
2- do you use oi?

What you guys do a download link for? Every single part of the tactic is posted above!
If you got no will to read a lecture, nor even the smallest article existing, then what the **** you guys lurking for?

Team Instructions, Player instructions and every tiny thing you need to know this guy described for you in very well readable english above. Get a life!!

What you guys do a download link for? Every single part of the tactic is posted above!
If you got no will to read a lecture, nor even the smallest article existing, then what the **** you guys lurking for?

Team Instructions, Player instructions and every tiny thing you need to know this guy described for you in very well readable english above. Get a life!!

People are very lazy here and I cannot blame them for it ! If someone spend two hours to do the write-up then it shouldn't be a problem to put a download links which takes like 5 minutes, about 70% people in community will skip this thread only because missing download link..shame;)

People are very lazy here and I cannot blame them for it ! If someone spend two hours to do the write-up then it shouldn't be a problem to put a download links which takes like 5 minutes, about 70% people in community will skip this thread only because missing download link..shame;)
I don't believe this guy does even have these tactics on his hard drive or anywhere. He just wanted us to make aware of it I think. It's by far enough though and this is incidentally the way all the official tactics are released, also over at the SI Community. Also if you people not like it. They couldn't be bothered less

Ever heard of set pieces routines?