• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 770

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

New Chelsea signing Raul Meireles says money was not a factor in his late move from Liverpool to Chelsea on transfer deadline day.

More...

I agree with him. Chelsea needed a midfeilder Liverpool wanted to sell.

END.

Last edited:
I think he's a good player, but I'm glad he's gone. In my opinion, it'll be Gerrard & Lucas for the majority of games in the midfield, and Adam will be back-up, Meireles would spend the majority of the season on the bench and probably coming on during the last 15 minutes, if Adam doesn't. Now we've sold him, we've freed up more wages, and made £12m, it was the right option I feel.

But he'll do well at Chelsea, and I wish him the best of luck.

No. Chelsea needed a midfeilder Liverpool wanted to sell.

END.

Liverpool didn't actually want to sell him, we rejected 2/3 bids for him during the window which indicated Kenny wanted him to stay, but once he handed in his transfer request, Kenny wasn't going to get in his way, he obviously didn't want to be there so Kenny clearly didn't want that to disrupt thing and have a player playing who didn't want to be there.

I think he's a good player, but I'm glad he's gone. In my opinion, it'll be Gerrard & Lucas for the majority of games in the midfield, and Adam will be back-up, Meireles would spend the majority of the season on the bench and probably coming on during the last 15 minutes, if Adam doesn't. Now we've sold him, we've freed up more wages, and made £12m, it was the right option I feel.

Liverpool didn't actually want to sell him, we rejected 2/3 bids for him during the window which indicated Kenny wanted him to stay, but once he handed in his transfer request, Kenny wasn't going to get in his way, he obviously didn't want to be there so Kenny clearly didn't want that to disrupt thing and have a player playing who didn't want to be there.

Considering the majority of games we've played this year we've played something of a 4-2-3-1, Mereiles would've got plenty of games, he just didn't want to fight for his place.

As for not wanting to sell him, i disagree, well reported that he was up for sale for the majority of the summer, and Comolli has told French television that the deal was done at 9pm, well before the transfer request, by handing the request in, it meant we didn't have to pay his loyalty bonus, so ultimately saving us more money.

Although I do wish him luck, I like him..

Actually liverpool were willing to sell him at the right price. the deal was done before he handed in his request. Commolli said as much on TV, deal was done at 9pm, request came after (and he saved you £1m million by doing so). Let's face it, he wasnt going to get as many games this season. Rather than the player not wanting to be there liverpool had actually made him surplus to requirements

Considering the majority of games we've played this year we've played something of a 4-2-3-1, Mereiles would've got plenty of games, he just didn't want to fight for his place.

As for not wanting to sell him, i disagree, well reported that he was up for sale for the majority of the summer, and Comolli has told French television that the deal was done at 9pm, well before the transfer request, by handing the request in, it meant we didn't have to pay his loyalty bonus, so ultimately saving us more money.

even in a 4-2-3-1 he wouldnt get as many games, certainly not as may as he will with chelsea. Nothing do with fighting for a place, why should be stay 4th choice at a club willing to sell him?

Gerrard, Lucas, Adam & Henderson would have been picked before him, he'd have been on the bench for the majority of the season, obviously he'd have got games due to his quality but he'd never have got enough.

Liverpool didn't want to sell him, if we did we'd have accepted one of the 3 bids made for him, which we didn't. The deal was last minute, and apparently all the paper work was only just sent on time.

Gerrard, Lucas, Adam & Henderson would have been picked before him, he'd have been on the bench for the majority of the season, obviously he'd have got games due to his quality but he'd never have got enough.

Liverpool didn't want to sell him, if we did we'd have accepted one of the 3 bids made for him, which we didn't. The deal was last minute, and apparently all the paper work was only just sent on time.

no, the deal had all been agreed at 9pm. the request came at 10pm. Everything else had been agreed well beforehand, liverpool were just waiting for an offer above 11.8 million

Unfortunately they probably would get more games than him, which is a shame as he's a quality player.

& we did want to sell him, have you thought none of those 3 bids were high enough?
The club played it very well, we've made it out to be Mereiles' fault - late transfer request etc.

As Mike & I have said, the deal was done early, hence why Chelsea had said they'd signed him on a 4 year contract on their site, before we'd said we'd agreed a fee.

Unfortunately they probably would get more games than him, which is a shame as he's a quality player.

& we did want to sell him, have you thought none of those 3 bids were high enough?
The club played it very well, we've made it out to be Mereiles' fault - late transfer request etc.

As Mike & I have said, the deal was done early, hence why Chelsea had said they'd signed him on a 4 year contract on their site, before we'd said we'd agreed a fee.
exactly, the highest before that one was 7m plus yossi. the only reason it came so late is because chelsea didnt cave till late on

Back