My Portsmouth FC Guide

• Thread starter Thread starter Max
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 6K

Max

Reaction score
Hey, well I have been asked to create a guide for Portsmouth FC on FM 2010, and I will gladly do it here now :) All of this is my own opinion, you do not have to follow this information. Please don't think I'm trying to tell you this is the only way to play with Portsmouth, this is merely a guide to help people who are in need of advice and help :) So here we go..

Budget - £0
Wage Budget - £500k

Squad Analysis:

Key Players:
David James
Younes Kaboul
Jamie O'Hara
Aruna Dindane

Portsmouth is probably one of the biggest challenges in the Premier League in this years edition of FM. With the well documented financial problems with the club, you have no transfer funds, and any players you sell you will get a nominal fee from the full transfer. Although there are some pretty good players left at the club, but with half of your first team line up on loan, in brings even more uncertainty to the team. The board expect mid-table position, whilst the media feel your big relegation candidates, either way, it will be a tough season.

Starting Squad:

Goalkeepers:
David James
Anti Niemi
Jamie Ashdown
Asmir Begovic

There is no need to strengthen this position for the first season, James and Niemi will last for atleast 1 or 2 seasons more, but it's worth replacing them in the 2nd season. Ashdown could be moved on for around £1m possibly, but you may aswell keep him as you probably won't get any funds from that. Begovic is a good player to hang onto for the future.

Right Backs:
Anthony Vanden Borre
Steve Finnan
Marc Wilson
Linvoy Pirmus
Younes Kaboul

A decent part of the team, Finnan and Vanden Borre are your best two players here, Kaboul is better off in centre back but can be played there if needed. Marc Wilson is okay when he gets better, but not good enough really. Linvoy Primus is way past it and shouldn't get a look in unless he needs to be played. Please note that Wilson, Kaboul and Primus can also player Centre Back.

Left Backs:
Nadir Belhadj
Hermann Hreidarsson

Slighlty weak part of the team here depth wise, two good left backs, but you should try and find a bargain left back. Hreidarsson loses his touch after a season and should be replaced.

Centre Back:
Younes Kaboul
Tal Ben-Haim
Aaron Mokoena
Mike Williamson
Marc Wilson
Linvoy Primus

Another slightly weak part of the team in depth, Kaboul and Ben-Haim are your best players by miles here, Mokoena can come in and do a job but he makes a lot of mistakes. Williamson does get better if given time and first team football but playing him regularly in the league could be a risk, the same for Wilson. Once again for Primus he is a last resort and shouldn't be picked before any of the others.

Right Midfielders:
Tommy Smith
Papa Bouba Diop
John Utaka
Danny Webber

Some decent players here, apart from Danny Webber they are all capable of playing in your first team, although you do with another right midfielder and only Tommy Smith is the natural right winger out of them. Diop is more effective in the centre, and Utaka can be a good impact substitute.

Left Midfielders:
Nadir Belhadj
Jamie O'Hara
Richard Hughes

Quite weak here, it may not look so bad, but your already struggling at left back which is where Belhadj would play, and O'Hara is much better in the centre. Of course if Hreidarsson and Belhadj stay fit throughout the season you'll be fine, but you'd have to be lucky for that to happen. Hughes isn't good enough for the first team really, and if you are going to play him he's much better off in the centre of midfield.

Centre Midfielders:
Jamie O'Hara
Papa Bouba Diop
Hayden Mullins
Kevin-Prince Boateng
Aaron Mokoena
Michael Brown
Angelo Basinas
Richard Hughes
Hassan Yebda

Loads of players in this position, which can give you the option of shipping some out. O'Hara, Diop, Mullins, Boateng, Brown and Yebda are your best players here, with the rest only just good enough for backup really. The best part of the team in depth probably.

Attacking Midfielders:
Kevin-Prince Boateng
Angelo Basinas (Very effective if re-trained to this position)
Nwankwo Kanu (Same as Basinas)

A very weak area in depth here, unless you choose to re-train Kanu and Basinas to play here which I recommend, you will have no players here really if Boateng gets injured.

Strikers:
Frederic Piquionne
Aruna Dindane
John Utaka
Nwankwo Kanu
Tommy Smith
Danny Webber

There are some decent strikers in this team, Dindane can be lethal with the right tactic, he scored 27 league goals with my Portsmouth team. Piquionne the same, scored 15 league goals for me in his first season and was my top scorer, both on loan though but can be bought at any time during their loan deals for £3.9m, highly recommended thing to do. Utaka and Kanu are basically impact players, who give different option with two totally different styles of play, Smith is better on the right wing as he can't really finish, and Webber is useless. If you were to sell any of these, sell Utaka. You should get about £3-5m for him, which is pretty good. Look for some loan deals in this position, James Vaughan is a decent shout, although you would have to pay around £900k for his services on loan for the season.

Players to sell:
Well, the team is mostly all new but there are a few deals that could be done...
John Utaka - £3-5m
Papa Bouba Diop - £5m
Hayden Mullins - £1-2m
Younes Kaboul - £10m+ (Do not sell for any less)

Players to buy:
Well quite honestly I didn't buy anyone for Portsmouth in my first season, except for some washed up South American midfielder who was awful, but here are some possible buys..
Bolo Zenden - Free
Jorge Andrade - Free
Peter Masilela - I think around £200k, but it can vary, good left back.

Tactic:
Here is a very good tactic to use, made my JP Woody, it's a solid tactic away from home and at home. Please do not come back here and complain if the tactic did not work for you. Feel free to look around the site aswell for more tactics, there are plenty of good ones :)
Here is the link to it..http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f72/jp-woodys-first-fm-2010-tactics-t22700.html

Hope this helped, feel free to comment etc.

Max :)

good work mate, might give it ago.

i found appiah very useful as lower prem clubs. dno if he worth adding

Yeah I thought of adding him, but he never played well for me at any EPL team

I feel we are putting a lot of pressure on JP Woody :) He has to deliever

ima use this for my portsmouth save nice guide, no one wants utaka though

Portsmouth is by far the hardest premier league team to manage

Follow My Palace Story Here http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f81/crystal-palace-dreaming-of-the-big-time-t24402.html

Back