SJR

Reaction score
Afternoon, all.

I've been reading the site for a while as I enjoy looking at the stories of other players but haven't had much time to play myself. I've managed to find a couple of hour spare to get a save going in the last few days and, after much deliberation, I've chosen Oxford United as I feel there is the potential to take the club far with the infrastructure there.

They're predicted to finish 10th in League Two but, given the talent at their disposal, I'm aiming for the play-offs at a minimum.

I looked at the squad immediately upon arrival and decided that we needed a better strikeforce, so signed young prospect Tyler Walker on loan for the season from Nottingham Forest. He's done well for others at the same level in their saves, so I'm hoping for similar this time around.

That was the only signing I intended upon making, but my first-choice goalkeeper Sam Slocombe picked up an injury which would keep him out for 8 weeks so I signed Christian Walton on a two-month loan deal from Brighton to cover in the meantime.

I arranged a somewhat mixed pre-season schedule, cancelling games against weaker, local sides in favour of hosting three foreign sides - and Rangers - whilst leaving in our trip to Gillingham which was already arranged.

View attachment 185553

As you can see, it wasn't that great a success in terms of results and I forgot that Parma were in Serie D - oops!

However, that proved to be our best result, though we did admirably against Red Star and ADO Den Haag, so I was pleased with the performances at least. It should put us in good stead for coming up against weaker sides in League Two and a 7-0 win in our last game should give us confidence ahead of hosting Crawley on the opening day of the season.

One of my star midfielders, Liam Sercombe, picked up a knee ligament injury in one of the friendlies so he misses out as I went for a fairly standard 4-2-3-1 formation. Michael Collins is in for him but will more than likely drop to the bench when he returns, barring exceptional personal form.

George Baldock is a little more advanced and I've got him playing as a wing-back whilst Walker is behind Danny Hylton as a shadow striker.

View attachment 185550

Matchday 1: Oxford United v Crawley Town

View attachment 185544
The formation works as we dominate to go top of the league on the first day with a comfortable victory. We take an early lead when Danny Hylton heads in from close range but we're pegged back before the break as Jon Ashton takes advantage from slack defending at a corner.

A stern word at half-time sees a big improvement in the second half and we never look in danger of relinquishing the lead given to us by our captain, Jake Wright, who slams in after Crawley fail to clear a free-kick.

Hylton bags another after breaking clear of the defence before Roofe rifles one in from a narrow angle to make the game safe, allowing us to see out the final 20 minutes in cruise control.

It's a good result but I think we'll need to see an improvement if we're to get past Gillingham in the first round of the League Cup. We drew against them away in pre-season, so I'm hoping to go one better at home!

League Cup - Round One: Oxford United v Gillingham

View attachment 185543

An unfortunate defeat as it looked destined for penalties for a long time.

We fell behind inside 40 seconds as Rory Donnelly headed in Bradley Dack's cross and, after knocking at the door for nearly an hour, we get ourselves back on level terms with Roofe tucking in from six yards out.

Neither side can find a winner inside 90 minutes so we go to extra time, which was uneventful until Donnelly capitalised on a loose ball to side-foot past Walton to re-take the lead for Gillingham.

I switch to overload immediately after conceding but we can't get the goal to take it to penalties, which is disappointing but the board simply asked that we weren't outclassed and we have bigger ambitions in the league anyway.

It's Luton next. We need to lay down a marker.

Matchday 2: Luton Town v Oxford United

View attachment 185542
And lay down a marker is exactly what we do. WOW!

It's a dream day for Hylton, who hits four of the five goals in a superb solo display as he continues to exceed my expectations and make the lone striking position his own.

We got off to the perfect start with youngster James Roberts curling in a stunner before Hylton takes centre stage, heading in a second before half-time.

A devastating triple-salvo inside seven second-half minutes from the striker make this another comfortable league outing. I was expecting a harder test, but clearly the performances in pre-season against the European opposition have done us the world of good.

Matchday 3: Oxford United v Notts County

View attachment 185541

Well, safe to say I didn't see this coming even after the Luton result.

It's another stunning result with Hylton the outstanding performer again. He outdoes his four-goal haul at Luton with a DOUBLE-HATTRICK! He gets a 10 rating for the match and rightly so. He's already on 12 league goals, only two behind his previous best and he's only had three league games.

Nice for Tyler Walker to get his first goal for the club, too. He's been somewhat overshadowed by Hylton in the opening fortnight but understandably so!

View attachment 185540

Three wins from three games. Sixteen goals scored. One goal conceded. It's outrageous form. I just hope we've not peaked too early...

Holy ****! I think you've broken the game! No way little Oxford could be ahead of Plymouth even after 3 games ;)

Matchday 4: Mansfield Town v Oxford United

View attachment 185523
A shocking first-half display had us staring down the barrel of a first league defeat of the season but a slight tweak and a rollocking at half-time turned the tide.

Walker capitalised on an underhit backpass to halve the deficit before Wright got his second of the season from a corner.

Happy enough to take a point from 2-0 down, but not impressed that we were in that situation in the first place.

Matchday 5: Oxford United v Yeovil Town

View attachment 185522

A routine win aided by two own goals within a matter of minutes.

Yeovil couldn't deal with George Baldock down the right, Arthurworrey and Ward putting through their own net. To be fair, if the ball had gone past them, Walker was waiting on both occasions for what would have been a tap-in.

Roofe sealed another three points so I could bring the big guns off to give them some rest as we ended August unbeaten.

August Awards

View attachment 185521
Never in doubt after that blistering start to the season!

View attachment 185520
Delighted with this as it shows that, hopefully, the future at Oxford is a very bright one with some great young talent to nurture for the coming years!

View attachment 185519
We sweep the board as I pick up the Manager of the Month award for August following our unbeaten start! That 7-0 hammering of Notts County seems to be a minor blip for them as they win their other four league matches along with Northampton, who I have to visit next month in what is already shaping up to be a big game.​

September Update

Round 1 - Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Exeter City v Oxford United

View attachment 185496

I rested a number of first team players after a busy first month as I'm not too fussed with the JPT. Roofe, Lundstram and Hylton all sit this one out.

We were terrible in the first half, but the red card to Troy Brown just before the break was the turning point. I sent Ryan Taylor on after an hour in the hope that he could make an impact and he did just that, his brace winning the game for us.

View attachment 185494
We were subsequently drawn away at Yeovil in the second round. Following our comfortable 3-0 win against them last month, I'm hopeful of further progress.

Matchday 6: Bristol Rovers v Oxford United

View attachment 185493

A first league defeat of the season after we wasted a host of chances.

Roofe missed his header to allow Leadbitter to head home unmarked at the back post and we were caught on the break pushing for an equaliser which gave Lyttle a free run at goal, slotting past Walton.

Speaking of Walton, he's impressed me enough to have his loan extended until the end of the season.

It's a frustrating result, but I never expected to go the whole season unbeaten anyway. It's important to get a result in our next match against Northampton, which I singled out as a crucial one earlier.

Matchday 7: Northampton Town v Oxford United

View attachment 185490

Northampton's manager Chris Wilder singled out Ryan Taylor as a weak link before the game so I started him up front and the big man delivered with a goal and an assist in a man of the match performance.

Our shots to goals ratio is worrying me; we're creating enough to score four or five a game but we're not as clincal as I'd like. Hopefully we'll be better next time out at home to Portsmouth.

Matchday 8: Oxford United v Portsmouth

View attachment 185487

Youngsters James Roberts and Callum O'Dowda impress with long-range strikes. but we're sunk by a first-half hat-trick from Kyle Bennett. We battled valiantly in the second half to pull it back but just didn't have enough in the tank to rescue a point.

I expect Portsmouth to be up challenging for promotion at the end of the season so this result isn't too disheartening.

Matchday 9: Oxford United v Morecambe

View attachment 185485

Hylton gets back in the goals again after a month without scoring to take his tally for the season to 14 as we brush aside a poor Morecambe outfit on our way back to the top of the table once again.

As you can see, it mentions that James Roberts picked up a serious injury and it was very bad news. I immediately bring in Erhun Oztumer from Peterborough United on a three-month loan to get me through to January.

View attachment 185476

Matchday 10: York City v Oxford United

View attachment 185474

A really poor end to the month with our worst performance of the season to date.

A late barrage got us one goal back to give us hope but it wasn't to be as we fall to our third defeat of the month, but we're still in second place as October approaches.

View attachment 185472

October Update

Matchday 11: Accrington Stanley v Oxford United

View attachment 185423

A big win gets us back on track and sets the tone for a month in which we play seven games.

Hylton is back on form with yet another hat-trick to edge closer to 20 goals for the season whilst Oztumer continues to impress in an attacking midfield role. If he's available in January, I'll be putting a bid in!

Round 2 - Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Yeovil Town v Oxford United

View attachment 185422

And so to Yeovil for the 2nd round of the JPT. We go there full of expectation having won 3-0 against them at home back in August but they make a better fist of it on their own turf, taking an early lead before a brace from O'Dowda has me thinking of the next round.

What I didn't count for was Iffy Allen's late equaliser which took the tie to penalties. Erhan Oztumer missed our first spot-kick but scored our next four whilst Sam Slocombe, in for his debut, saves two Yeovil penalties to set up a very winnable trip to Dagenham in the next round.

View attachment 185421

Matchday 12: Oxford United v AFC Wimbledon

View attachment 185420

A convincing performance, if not a convincing scoreline.

Oztumer settles it just before half-time but, with 15 shots to their 2, I feel we should have had another really comfortable win but three points is three points!

Matchday 13: Leyton Orient v Oxford United

View attachment 185419

Gutted not to win this given how late we went 2-1 up but a point away from home against the team 3rd in the table.

Tyler Walker is coming into form at a good time when the goals have dried up for the other attacking players.

Matchday 14: Oxford United v Plymouth Argyle

View attachment 185418

Big win against a promotion rival and made even better by the face that we went 1-0 down after 15 seconds.

When that happened I was fearing the worst but we were given hope before half-time by Walker's third in two games before Roofe's first goal for a while gave us a third win in four league games to continue our momentum.

Matchday 15: Oxford United v Barnet

View attachment 185417

Walker's taken on the mantle of goalscorer this month and gets himself a hat-trick here to move into double figures for the season.

Oztumer chips in with another and a couple of assists, making that bid in January somewhat inevitable now as he's proven himself to be a key part of my team in a short space of time.

Matchday 16: Stevenage v Oxford United

View attachment 185416

Oztumer is at it again as we make it five wins out of six in the league this month, eventually sailing past bottom of the table Stevenage, who sack Teddy Sheringham on the back of this defeat.

October Awards:

View attachment 185415
View attachment 185414
View attachment 185413
Another clean sweep of awards with that late equaliser by Orient denying us a perfect month!

View attachment 185412
We've managed to build a bit of a gap between ourselves and the chasing pack. A trip to Cambridge is our toughest assignment of November, so I'm hopeful that we can increase that gap by the end of the next update.​

All the best mate :) I am playing oxford on my story as well and it's really an interesting team! Following!

November Update

View attachment 185212

An up and down month with about as many positives as negatives.

We concede a last-minute equaliser at Darlington, giving us an unnecessary replay that we could really have done without given that we've spent most of the season with midweek games thus far and the rest would have been welcomed. As expected, we roll them over 4-0 at home to set up a trip to Doncaster in the second round.

We advance through to the semi-finals of the JPT with a late win at Dagenham as Hylton comes off the bench to stop the tie going to penalties.

Three successive league defeats, all marred by poor finishing from ourselves, threaten to undo all of the good work from the previous month but we recover to scrape a win at Hartlepool which leaves the table looking like this:

View attachment 185211
We've fallen out of the automatic promotion spots and have been dragged back into the pack after a poor month.

With four league games to come in December, as well as FA Cup and JPT duty, I'm hoping to be fighting on three fronts once 2015 ticks over into 2016.

December Update

View attachment 185160

Another distinctly average month, with progress in the JPT the only real positive.

We lose out in a topsy-turvy contest at League One Doncaster in the FA Cup, succumbing to an 86th-minute winner from Nathan Tyson.

Immediately, we respond by racing into a 3-0 lead at HT against Colchester, setting up a two-legged Southern Section Final against Gillingham, which will mean I've played them four times this season and we're not even in the same division!

A win against Carlisle gets us back into the automatic promotion spots but we stutter over Christmas with just two points from three games. The draws are particularly disappointing as we have the better of both games but just can't put the ball into the back of the net.

View attachment 185159
We're still within touching distance of the automatic places, which is pleasing and I may have to bring in some reinforcements this month as John Lundstram has picked up an injury which will keep him out for two months and Erhan Oztumer's loan is set to come to an end.

January Update

View attachment 185158

Not bad but, again, our inability to kill teams off is letting us down with three straight draws in the league to end the month.

The draw at Portsmouth was fortunate as they were by far the better side and dominated from start to finish but I'd have expected to get the better of Bristol Rovers and Northampton. Nonetheless, an unbeaten month in the league is not to be sniffed at.

As for the JPT, we got the better of Gillingham in the first leg at home and took a narrow lead to Priestfield and took the lead to extend our advantage but they hit back to lead 2-1 (agg 3-3) at half-time before stealing it in the 88th minute. Safe to say I was furious.

Oztumer's loan is extended until the end of the season whilst James Maddison comes in to bolster the midfield following the injury to Lundstram and dips in form from a couple of players.

Townsend arrives to take over at left-back as Cameron Gayle rejected a new contract in favour of a move to Blackpool in the division above.

Christian Walton picks up an injury which sees his loan terminated as Slocombe has come in and done admirably, so I've no need to keep him around if he's not going to be used between now and the end of the season.

The Table

View attachment 185157
We've fallen to two points behind the automatic promotion places but Exeter in 8th are on 45 points so we have a 7 point cushion keeping us in the play-offs. The board wanted a top-half finish before the season started so we're well on course to achieve that.

February Update

View attachment 185131

We take the lead three times at Exeter and throw it away three times, ultimately settling for a point.

We then find ourselves 2-0 down at bottom of the table Morecambe but manage to salvage something, although I'm not happy about such a poor result against a poor team.

After five draws in a row in the league, we finally get a win, beating Accrington 2-1 thanks to Tyler Walker's brace, which takes him to 20 for the season.

Hylton then gets past 25 for the season with a hat-trick in a comfortable win at AFC Wimbledon as we end the month unbeaten.

Eight point from four games in February is a decent enough return - 2 points per game is generally promotion form - but I'm still worried that draws may cost us.

However, we're hanging on to an automatic promotion place thanks to our outstanding goal difference. One point is all that separates five teams so we need to carry on our momentum to ensure we're still in with a shout of automatic promotion after Easter.

March Update

View attachment 185129

A great month with just the one unexpected blip at Barnet.

The results against Plymouth and Leyton Orient, two fellow promotion-chasers, are the best of the month. Harry Kewell's Argyle were given a good going over on their own turf and Orient went ahead early before we put in an excellent second half performance to get a massive three points.

Given the rest of the results this month, I'm putting the defeat against Barnet down as a rare off-day.

Thankfully we get back on the horse straight away with Hylton going past 30 goals for the season at home to rock bottom Stevenage before our Easter Monday game at Cambridge is postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, giving us a game in hand as we enter the penultimate month of the season.

As expected after a near-perfect month, we return to the summit and with a little gap between ourselves and Orient, too.

We have seven games to come in April - including games against fellow top seven sides Cambridge, Luton and Carlisle - so automatic promotion could be won or lost by the time I post my next update.

March Awards

View attachment 185127

Third one of the season, but they'll mean nothing unless we get promoted.

April/May Update

View attachment 184871

The usual suspects of Roofe, Walker and Hylton make it a strong end to the season, the Newport defeat aside, which means the following was somewhat inevitable:

Yep, we win the title to ensure promotion to League One in my debut season. The board wanted a top-half finish and we were predicted to finish 10th so they're delighted with me and I pen a two-year extension to my current contract.

Most wins, most goals, best goal difference. Couldn't have asked for much more in my first season in charge!

Will post awards, etc soon enough as I'm sure a few will be coming our way!

End Of Season Awards

View attachment 184858
View attachment 184857
View attachment 184856
A richly-deserved clean sweep of awards following a fantastic season!

View attachment 184855
As expected, we dominate in the Team of the Season with five players in there. That Baldock-Roofe combination down the right has been unstoppable for us this season, providing 43 assists between them. Walker and Hylton were often the beneficiaries of those assists, scoring a combined 59 goals in all competitions.

View attachment 184852
View attachment 184851
It's been an excellent year, but I can't rest on my laurels as I need to ensure that we're competitive in League One next season rather than simply treading water.​

brilliant read congratulations on promotion to league one :)