theeKiwi

Reaction score
I'm currently in my 6th season with Tottenham Hotspur.

Long story short, I play 4-2-3-1. I create a ton of chances having around 30 shots a game, at least 12 of them on target. However, it is very common that in these games I will not score. This has been a problem for me on this save since I first started it with friends (it's online). They have seen the situation and also can tell something is not right. I'm using the exact same tactic from my other solo save with Tottenham with pretty much the same players, where I was scoring 90+ goals per season in the PL.

The friends I'm playing with are playing as Leicester and Crystal Palace, yet they're scoring more goals than me, despite having worse teams and strikers.

I had Mauro Icardi, who played near enough every game for me two seasons ago, and he only just hit 20 goals, despite having countless numbers of chances. I sold him to Southampton, and he is having no problem scoring, with even less chances!

I had Jackson Martinez, 19 Finishing, 20 Composure, and saw him miss chance after chance. I bought him last season in January, and he only scored four goals for me- all being penalties.

Behind them, are Christian Eriksen, Memphis Depay, Erik Lamela, Martin Odegaard... All world class players! They score most of my goals.

I'm relying on a re-gen now, he's 21 and has 17 Finishing, 17 Dribbling and 16 Composure. Still not scoring! Yet Assombalonga and ****** Kramaric of Leicester - 15 Finishing, 14 Composure, with a 2 and a half star current ability is scoring 30 goals a season! With less chances!

As I say, I'm creating so many chances, and on key highlights, I see them miss chance after chance, often open-goals and easy goals.

I've just been taken over and I'm sitting on 8th on the verge of being sacked. I can't do anything more, I create more than enough chances, but they can never score! Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you!

Last edited:
A tactic that generates that many shots (too many) and that has so few (less than half) shots on target, is poor. I very much doubt that these chances are quality chances. Would be useful to see the complete tactical setup. A PKM or two of these games would be great too.

A tactic that generates that many shots (too many) and that has so few (less than half) shots on target, is poor. I very much doubt that these chances are quality chances. Would be useful to see the complete tactical setup. A PKM or two of these games would be great too.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

That's the thing. Depay or Lamela will play the ball right into the striker 6 yards out and he'll smash it wide 9 times out of 10! I'll get some screenshots.

Then I'll see another striker with poorer stats for a striker with the exact same chance or even harder and they'll bury it.

It's quality against quantity. You probably play overload or attack, which would be fine against a really weak team, but in PL, you should play control. Check my guide for details if you wish...

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...17-how-i-setup-my-tactics-rules-i-follow.html

Majority of home games- depending on opposition I will spend the a lot of the game on Attacking mentality, after a while on control if I don't score- yes.

Away from home, depending on opposition, I play on control.

Steam Community :: louismcleodconnor :: Screenshots

A few screenshots there. Might I add that all goals in them games come from my three CAMS - where I have scored.
Hmm looking at that, may I ask why you've got work ball into the box? Maybe your team are too busy trying to create a perfect opening to score from. You are only averaging 2 CCC a game but I'm not always sure how relevant they are.

I just see Work ball into the box will encourage players to pass rather than shoot sometimes when they may not need to with the strikers you have.

Hmm looking at that, may I ask why you've got work ball into the box? Maybe your team are too busy trying to create a perfect opening to score from. You are only averaging 2 CCC a game but I'm not always sure how relevant they are.

I just see Work ball into the box will encourage players to pass rather than shoot sometimes when they may not need to with the strikers you have.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I actually was speaking to the people I play FM with and they told me to take it off. The CCC isn't a lot, but I watch my striker receive the ball in the box, and hit it wide or straight at the keeper, anywhere from 2-4 times per game. Some of these obviously aren't registering as CCC.

I certainly create enough chances visually, as you can appreciate, Eriksen, Lamela, Odegaard and Depay is one **** of an attack that troubles any team. However, as soon as it reaches the striker they won't score.

Your problem is that you're overly attacking and with no decent passing options and an attacking mentality, your players will shoot. All 3 front players on attack duty won't create any space.

The inside forwards work the ball into the striker or cut in and shoot which is what I want from them both, it's not their scoring that I'm concerned about though as they score a lot of goals for me as it is. It's the striker, whether it be Icardi, Martinez, Harry Kane or even my regen. Relatively easy finishes are going wide, and they will go consecutive games without scoring. Even when I drop them or speak to them about their lack of goals, the striker I drop them for can't do the job either. Yet as I say, my friend plays the exact same formation, creating similar chances and their striker will finish.

It's costing me games. Only recently being taken over, the new Chairman is looking for any excuse to sack me!

I'm mixing things up a bit. I'm going to play my inside forwards on 'Support' as opposed to 'Attack'. Hopefully that will give my striker more chances to finish at least one opportunity. It's not the problem, as my striker gets more than enough chances, but I'll give it ago.

I'm playing West Ham, recently promoted, I'll let you know how it goes.

The inside forwards work the ball into the striker or cut in and shoot which is what I want from them both, it's not their scoring that I'm concerned about though as they score a lot of goals for me as it is. It's the striker, whether it be Icardi, Martinez, Harry Kane or even my regen. Relatively easy finishes are going wide, and they will go consecutive games without scoring. Even when I drop them or speak to them about their lack of goals, the striker I drop them for can't do the job either. Yet as I say, my friend plays the exact same formation, creating similar chances and their striker will finish.

It's costing me games. Only recently being taken over, the new Chairman is looking for any excuse to sack me!
I don't believe those chances are as easy as you think they are. I'm telling you, you're overly attacking and not creating space. The shots will be rushed - especially for the forward. I don't know why you're expecting so much from him? He has both IFs attacking his space, so all 3 will just sit on the shoulder of the defence. The AF will usually have 2 defenders on him and the IFs a fullback each, so they have more of a chance, not that you're creating any space. You're basically relying on the fact that you have better players.

I don't believe those chances are as easy as you think they are. I'm telling you, you're overly attacking and not creating space. The shots will be rushed - especially for the forward. I don't know why you're expecting so much from him? He has both IFs attacking his space, so all 3 will just sit on the shoulder of the defence. The AF will usually have 2 defenders on him and the IFs a fullback each, so they have more of a chance, not that you're creating any space. You're basically relying on the fact that you have better players.

Thanks for the reply again. With the IF's on support it is going slightly better.

I have two of my friends who just watched a recent game I played, the types of opportunities that the striker missed was outrageous! They agree something isn't right. It doesn't make sense, as on my solo, my striker has absolutely no trouble scoring. He seizes his chances.

Any explanation for that? Same players, same tactics, yet yielding very different results!

It's the definition of insanity. You're doing the same thing, expecting things to change. It might be that his confidence is shot, so that needs work. Anyway, if the striker is the one who keeps missing, why aren't you subbing him or starting with someone else altogether?

So you have both IFs now on Support? Do you realise what duties mean? Now the AF is the only consistent goal threat - the AF who cannot score.