• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 2K

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
[video=youtube;hpRYODXfP_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpRYODXfP_8[/video]

The above show was an ESSENTIAL part of my Saturday afternoon as a youngster. Waiting for the vidiprinter to churn out the results, resulting in joy, or bitter disappointment. Those little letters appearing with the numbers, pretty much set my mood for the Saturday evening and the remaining weekend. And of course being a football fan, I had to suffer emotions ranging from absolute joy:

[video=youtube;zXR64nUucRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXR64nUucRQ[/video]

To absolute heartbreak

[video=youtube;iVbUoGm4lw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVbUoGm4lw0[/video]

The emotional rollercoaster that is being a football fan.

Those days were still though, just enthralling. And weren't just limited to Everton Football Club. Watching Ian Rush and Kenny Dalglish, Alan Hansen, Terry Butcher, Bryan Robson, Kevin Keegan, Peter Beardsly....simply too many to mention. Then of course there was Mexico 86, Sir Bobby Robson as manager...that World Cup tournament was just spectacular as it was the first one I had properly watched. The ITV Mexico 86 theme still gives me goose bumps when I hear it. But, in the usual heartbreaking manner, we were cruelly dispatched by Argentina. There were just so many high points in football for me. But ultimately, there were dark times too, with the Hillsborough Tragedy, and the Bradford Fire Disaster, and Heysel. All with far reaching percussions for future football.

They were also the days of being allowed to get away with crunching tackles, which if they were made today, the player would probably get a 4 match ban! How times have changed in that department. And when I lived in Scotland, I got to see for myself the quality of Scottish football then. I loved watching Ally Mccoist. And seeing a great Scottish player start playing for Arsenal-Charlie Nicholas. And of course, not forgetting Frank Mcavennie.

English Football League Tables 1991/1992

But the end of the 1991/1992 season was tinged with a bit of sadness for me, as it was the end of an era, and the beginning of a new one, with the end of the old league system, with the Premiership debuting in 92/93-and football pretty much changed forever as a result. Live matches going to Sky, quality of players drastically improving. It was remarkable to see, breeding a whole host of household names. Commentators screaming Thierry Henry's name when he scored, Ian Wright moving to Arsenal, David Ginola with his dazzling skill (and adored looks by the ladies), Andy Cole for Newcastle, .....the talent that appeared was astonishing. As was Newcastle United surrendering the lead at the top of the premiership, with Kevin Keegan losing control of his emotions, in the now very famous line "I'd love, I'd really love it" rant at Man Utd. Fergie, once again, winning the battle of wits. However, if Fergie hadn't have kept his job, would Man Utd have been successful? Yes, no, maybe...ifs and buts. We will never know.

But most significant of all, was the beginning of Man Utds dominance. If ever a phrase "you can't win anything with kids" seemed more wrong.... Title after title filling the trophy cabinet, and the emergence of incredible talent-demonstrated by David Beckham with "that" goal scored from the half way line. A new era had begun, and Utd simply steam rollered it's way through their opponents. But as always, new challengers arose. Chelsea, Arsenal. And now, Man City have exploded onto the scene following the huge cash injection.

But as always, there have been some tragic stories during this time, both on and off the field. The passing of Justin Fashanu, David Rocastle, Marc-Vivien Foe. The way their lives were cut short before they were ready, was unspeakably cruel. George Best. And Sir Bobby Robson. I'm not ashamed to admit I shed tears, as did every other football fan. Football fans are pretty much a massive family. And when I member of that family is taken away, we all feel it. It's the one time when rivalries are put aside, and pay respect when it's due. And Sir Bobby had earned every single ounce of respect from every single football fan, regardless of what region, or what country they came from.

So, what now. I still love my football with a passion, but when I look back, I can honestly say, I still loved football more back then than I do now. Nothing to do with the number of foreigners in the game or silly reasons like that...it's because it was football as it was meant to played. Cheating as I remember, I never saw it. Could you ever imagine Gary Lineker or Peter Beardsly diving for a red card or a penalty? Not me either. You could tackle a player from behind. You didn't have heavy handed officials. You had properly scheduled football matches - 3 pm Saturday afternoon. And you don't switch the time/day of an FA Cup final.

But it's not to say there hasn't been progress. There is incredible talent that is coming through at various levels, that gives us hope for the national squad in the future. Title races are now becoming more open now aswell. We are now a **** of a lot more tolerant of players of different races compared to the bad days-thank god. Yes you still have an extremely small minority who are still stuck in medieval times..but they are exactly that-an extremely small minority-but a leapord can't change it's spots I guess. But there still needs to progress made in helping out smaller clubs. Clubs like Plymouth Argyle. The FA has been so concerned with making the Premier League the best in the world, it's pretty much forgotten about everyone else. You could say, that English football is now becoming a victim of it's own success, and a lot of people are beginning to suffer. And it has to get sorted to ensure it stays strong for the future.

Last edited:
Fantastic post and a lovely read. I wasn't around in the 80's but I agree with your closing paragraph's. The FA is obsessed with the Premier League.

Fantastic post and a lovely read. I wasn't around in the 80's but I agree with your closing paragraph's. The FA is obsessed with the Premier League.

Cheers. Pretty much just came out the blue tbh. Couldn't sleep and was just lying in bed, and got all nostalgic thinking about how much it's all changed. Bit I didn't want to be too negative tbh as I've had my opinions on the negatives already and didn't want to do them all over again-would just bore people.

@Fish Hunter I'm going to be honest I'm normally pants when I do essays-always have been lol. Just one of those things where wanted to share thoughts, perspectives. Ended up watching pile of good old fashioned footie on youtube til about half 7 this morning.

Last edited:
Just realised, it would be remise of me to forget another tragedy (albiet in a lighter version). The footballer mullets

View attachment 195710

Get a load of those beauties

only had an intrest in football from early 2000's so dont what your talking about. Great read though ! :)

only had an intrest in football from early 2000's so dont what your talking about. Great read though ! :)

You missed out. Especially with some of the songs by footballers-they were erm....interesting lol. Will probably find some more bits and bobs so you can observe for yourself. On the plus side though, you're experiencing quality football right now at the right time.

i miss grandstand, sigh. the tune is amazing and catchy :P.

but i like ur point ajt09, things changed already, drastically. now i look back, sigh i feel like i want stay back from the rest.

i miss grandstand, sigh. the tune is amazing and catchy :P.

but i like ur point ajt09, things changed already, drastically. now i look back, sigh i feel like i want stay back from the rest.

It is catchy defo. Times it just pops in my head for no reason lol.

Saturday's have never been the same since Grandstand ended. :( anyone know why it ended ???

BBC just decided to pull the plug. Think it was due to viewing figures as people were switching to Sky and other forms of competition

BBC just decided to pull the plug. Think it was due to viewing figures as people were switching to Sky and other forms of competition

but u would have prefer too still plug the plug :)

on the other note, i also remember while being into early stages of a football fan around 2005, that the epl was criticized for the big 4 dominance. (manu, chelsea, arsenal, liverpool). not it seems to change, wiht Man city and spurs in to the line. then all of a sudden a big drop, villa no long near the europa (or uefa cup that time) spot, everton too. sigh. i could feel the same for arsenall atm, mid table team :(.

i remember everton being named the 'big team' betters. could that happen again, i dont know.

You missed out. Especially with some of the songs by footballers-they were erm....interesting lol. Will probably find some more bits and bobs so you can observe for yourself. On the plus side though, you're experiencing quality football right now at the right time.

Check these out dude. Especially goal number 2. absolute corker of a goal

[video=youtube;uPtCxH7tuKo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPtCxH7tuKo&feature=related[/video]

Was meant for Callum but ended up being for me somehow lol

Last edited:
well the first world cup i properly watched and got into was WC 2006 lol :$

number two was epic, and mardonna was like good good. heheh (except the hand ball. LOL)

my first world cup i watched was 2002 final, we brazil was fantastic. but the 2006 started my footy mood. ohh Zidane.

Maybe the whole thing is just rose tinted glasses. I, for one, remember the heady days of 2000-2005 being far better than the stuff on show today. Just so many legends in that era: most of the United and Arsenal teams, Shearer in his twilight years... you know what, I'm not even going to list them, there are too many. It was truly brilliant, and the football was always of a good standard.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Check these out dude. Especially goal number 2. absolute corker of a goal

None of them are as good as this next one. For a **** World Cup, it did throw up a remarkable goal:

[video=youtube;JVQmWZoNHG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVQmWZoNHG4[/video]

Back