My team can't handle playing against teams that don't use 4-4-2...

• Thread starter Thread starter Xdavil2
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 827

Xdavil2

Reaction score
I'm playing with Chelmsford, and although they've been playing well and achieved 3 promotions in 4 years, there's a currently a worrying trend. I've been using an asymmetrical formation- essentially 4-4-2 with one attacking midfielder, which has served me well up until now- I also have reserve tactics set up, but they're still very similar, typically adding one DMF or AMC and sacrificing one striker. Passing style is more direct, (I sometimes change to short in a game if we're losing posession) and I keep things rigid, usually using 'work ball into box' as an extra instruction during games.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can deal with different formations? I'm wondering if by using a rigid formation and not much creative freedom, perhaps my players can't adapt to the other team's players being in different positions?

Seems like I got away with it up to league 2, but now I'm beginning to struggle...

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

The same way to beat formations is to play the same formation... but obviously their are simple flaws... eg. 4-1-2-1 : you beat them with overlaps etc.

But I would have 3 different formations and then slightly alter styles(eg RIGID/ATTACK/CREATIVITY etc) for each oppostion...

I would personally argue that playing those formations just won't work at a high level, you may have been able to win other lesson challenging leagues through buying well and having descent players in key positions but in the high leagues there is a reason teams don't usually play that way....less balance, especially when not playing aginst 4-4-2 :)

Fair enough- thanks for that- I'm just about hanging on to 11th place right now, but I think it's time to get experimenting!

Back