Alex345

Reaction score
Hi,

I played a lot of FM, and 2013 became boring with Arsenal as I was crushing it almost 4 - 0 or 5 - 0 each game. Won everything every season. I used 4 - 5 - 1 with 3 AMC - attack and 2 CM as DLP - defend. That tactics is horrible in FM 2014. I lose almost all games in the start of the season and get sacked in january my first season. I tried to adjust the tactics everywhere, but it just seems that 3 AMC doesn't work. I got crushed by City 7 - 0 and Southampton 5 - 1, and they both use the same formation - 2 CM and 3 AMC. So please tell me, what am I doing wrong?

Formation:

GK - Defend (tried for possession football and made him distribute to defenders - no real change)
WB - Support - both (tried FB and CWB, still they have a game rating of 4,9 almost every game!)
CB - Defend - both (tried one cover and one stopper, still game rating of 5-6 and lots of goals against!)
2 CM - DPL - both defend. I tried to use one support. And I tried 1 BWM or BBM with DPL. Still went wrong. CM always get rating under 7 no matter if I win or lose.
3 AMC - Here I tried a lot!. 1 Trequartista, and 2 AP - one Support and one Attack. Tried all attack, or AP both support. one of the has a good rating, the others always 5-6. I use Ozil or Cazorla as Trequartista. rating 5,5
ST - tried AF, CF and Poacher. Striker almost never scores as Giroud gets rating of 5,5 usually, and has 2 goals in 14 games, yet he starts all games.

I tried no touchline instructions and attacking - fluid, and control - balanced. Still lose bad
I tried touchline instructions to pass shorter, work ball into the box and shorter pass which is how arsenal play.
But in games that I dominate, I still lose

The conclusion is always the same. Either I get completely crushed, having 35% possession and 2 shots wide, while the opposition have 20 - 30 shots and win 4 og 5 - 0. Or I completely dominate shots and possession, yet still lose 3 - 1 where the opposition only have 4 shots and 3 on target - ALL GOALS

So please, tell me how to balance defense and attack, what tactical roles and tactics to use.

All help is deeply appreciated!

I am currently in charge of Arsenal and i have not changed much from my FM13 Tactics. I do find this time around against the "bigger teams" adjusting your style to combat them works.
For example against City I played 4-4-1-1 my midfield had Flamini (bwm Defend), Arteta (DLP) Ramsay (BTB) Gibbs (L DW) and Cazorla (R WM) I won 4-1 and very comfortably.
Normally I would play 4-3-2-1 with only Flamini/Lucas Romero in a defensive role, this does change depending on form or injuries.
Formations like 3-2(WB)-2-2-1, 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 have been used and successfully.

I find having a strong Ball Winning Mid set to Defend is very useful alongside a DLP set to support but with no roaming is good for Arsenal because they have plenty of attacking talent in the side who once you stay tight at the back can grab the winning goals.

The team touchline instructions I use for my regular formation o 4-3-2(Wide wingers)-1 are:
Short passing, retain possession, Play out of Defence, Hassle opponents, Roam, Allow wingers to switch and Look for overlap.

Give it a go and let me know, would love to know if this helps.

Gav

I tried playing with a BWM (Lars Bender) and a DLP - Support. But with 3 AMC (no wide men) my Fullbacks always get horrible rating. And even with a strong BWM, I stille get crushed in most away games, even against the likes of Newcastle ans Swansea.

What match prep and general training do you have? How many signings did you make in the summer?

Hi all,

First of, thank you very much for the responses. I have taken your advice Gav, and playing a strong BWM. This helped.
I generally try not to sign more than 5-6 players, and only one or two for the first team (rest is under 18). First season, I sign Lucas Romero, Eder Alvarez Balanta and Angel Correa. I also sell Park, Bendtner and Walcott. I try not to disrupt the squad harmony with many signings. I buy Lewandowski, Doria and Gabriel Barbosa in January, but the last 2 are loaned back for a season.

Training: Balanced - High. In pre-season I train tactics only, and until tactic familiarity is almost full. Then I train teamwork as match preparation.

The results are getting better, I have finally taken steps towards better results with touchline instructions.

Tactics:
GK - Defend
FB - Support
DC - Defend
DLP - Support
BWM - Defend
AM - Support
T - Attack
AP - Attack
F9 - Support

Touchline instructions: Shorter pass, retain possession, play out of defense, roam from positions, more expressive, higher tempo, get stuck in, hassle opponents, tighter marking

I now dominate games more, but you still see some poor games which I guess is natural, and also, still experience losing some games where the opposition has 2-3 shots and all of them are clear cut chances and goals.

Last edited:
Hi all,

First of, thank you very much for the responses. I have taken your advice Gav, and playing a strong BWM. This helped.
I generally try not to sign more than 5-6 players, and only one or two for the first team (rest is under 18). First season, I sign Lucas Romero, Eder Alvarez Balanta and Angel Correa. I also sell Park, Bendtner and Walcott. I try not to disrupt the squad harmony with many signings. I buy Lewandowski, Doria and Gabriel Barbosa in January, but the last 2 are loaned back for a season.

Training: Balanced - High. In pre-season I train tactics only, and until tactic familiarity is almost full. Then I train teamwork as match preparation.

The results are getting better, I have finally taken steps towards better results with touchline instructions.

Tactics:
GK - Defend
FB - Support
DC - Defend
DLP - Support
BWM - Defend
AM - Support
T - Attack
AP - Attack
F9 - Support

Touchline instructions: Shorter pass, retain possession, play out of defense, roam from positions, more expressive, higher tempo, get stuck in, hassle opponents, tighter marking

I now dominate games more, but you still see some poor games which I guess is natural, and also, still experience losing some games where the opposition has 2-3 shots and all of them are clear cut chances and goals.

Very happy to help. If you have your full backs playing as Complete wing backs this may also help. I would recommend training Team Cohesion at very high during the Summer. This allows your new players to get to grips with the squad. Also changing starting line ups often can cause results to be inconsistent. With the "play out of defence" instruction a ball playing defender is a must also.